Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a picture or 3 can best describe the aftermath of today's mishap. I was on about the 3rd or 4th mag with a 3rd gen Glock 19 when I pulled the trigger and heard a LOUD bang. The magazine went flying out of the gun. I dropped the firearm and went to the ground in pain. I ended up with powder burns and swelling on both hands. Also my bell was rung to say the least.

After the dust settled I checked the firearm and the barrel was clear. The case was not ejected and was ruptured near the head. The gun is stuck out of battery and the magazine release is broken.

My friend I was with was a medic and said I was showing signs of a concussion. He made me hang out with him for about 4 hours. I did get to play Barbie with his daughter for a while though.

20200606_212350.jpg

20200606_212509.jpg

20200606_212446.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure if the fats are correct but it says that the gun is made in the USA maybe it’s gen 5 Glock. What else is in question here .... don’t know.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think a picture or 3 can best describe the aftermath of today's mishap. I was on about the 3rd or 4th mag with a 3rd gen Glock 19 when I pulled the trigger and heard a LOUD bang. The magazine went flying out of the gun. I dropped the firearm and went to the ground in pain. I ended up with powder burns and swelling on both hands. Also my bell was rung to say the least.

After the dust settled I checked the firearm and the barrel was clear. The case was not ejected and was ruptured near the head. The gun is stuck out of battery and the magazine release is broken.

My friend I was with was a medic and said I was showing signs of a concussion. He made me hang out with him for about 4 hours. I did get to play Barbie with his daughter for a while though.

View attachment 329436

View attachment 329438

View attachment 329440
Glad you're going to be okay, I've dreamed of owning a Glock Gen 5, may want to rethink that!

Just wow!

·
Registered
596 Posts
When Glock Gen 1 first came out (I know, I bought one for duty use) they had a real reputation for jamming on cheap reloads, so much so to the point that our range master use to joke that the sound of a jam was GLOCKGLOCKGLOCK!!!

The round would be stuck in the chamber so bad you would have to knock it loose with a dowel rod.

Problem is that it looks more like a super hot overload or weak brass round that sent the charge both backward and forward. Saw a man basically blow the top strap of a Colt Python back in the day with super hot rounds so that can and does happen. :ticking:

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
ammo related. Guns don't just blow up like that....but it makes all the Glock haters feel good....for all the wrong reasons. Buy crap ammo and it will blow up your next gun too.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
That really takes the fun out of shooting, DownInTheDark. Glad you were not permanently injured. Get well soon!

·
Registered
335 Posts
How many rounds did you have through that Gen 3? I am curious how worn the recoil spring was. I have seen one or two Glocks over the years with a spring so weak it wouldn't pulll the slide into battery all the way. Otherwise I would be leaning toward ammo as well.

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
Who knew that the 358 Norma would someday provide less felt recoil than a 9mm?

Very glad that you’re sound after that. Your next range trip might be a little herky jerky. Go easy.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How many rounds did you have through that Gen 3? I am curious how worn the recoil spring was. I have seen one or two Glocks over the years with a spring so weak it wouldn't pulll the slide into battery all the way. Otherwise I would be leaning toward ammo as well.
I bought the gun new and had only shot it once before. So about 100-150 rounds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
DITD - I know you said Surplus Ammo, but can you specify what manufacturer / brand and type please.

I shoot all kinds of cheap dirty surplus ammo - thus I am interested.

Glad you are OK - that sounded and looked scary for sure.

gamboolman....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Glad you're ok. Bad thing to happen to a gun. Id reach out to Glock to see about warranty coverage. Also would probably reach out to the ammo manufacturer. They may not do anything, but its worth a shot. Take the next range trip or 3 slow and easy.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts