Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I think you need to think long and hard about what ammunition you get on the cheap. Is it really saving you anything? Next time could be fatal.

Thankful you survived this one.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
No factory-new ammo has ever blown up a gun . . . No, never. It's always perfect--except for the frequently recalled factory-new ammo.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow glad your ok.

Would like to see some pics of the case from different angles and the stamp. If possible remove barrel and inset the case into the chamber, note where the case blew out, pic of that would help.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I only had one Glock fail on me, it was a brand new G34 I won in a GSSF match the year prior (2002). At the time the G34 was the new kid on the block, and I had truglo fiber sights put on it and shot a box of rounds through it and put it in the safe.

Sure enough, next GSSF match is in full swing and so am I, cleaning up every stage and well on my way to winning another gun. I’m on the plate rack, the buzzer goes off, I smoke through 3 rounds and then nothing. I thought it was a squib so I dropped the mag and tried to rack the slide back and couldn’t budge it. I set the gun down on the table and stepped back away, telling the RO I had a malfunction that an armorer would have to address.

Chris Edwards of Glock had a big crowd of law enforcement folks with him, walked over and said “please tell me you were using factory ammo”?

I said of course, I had bought the case of PMC at the match today. They turned it over to an armorer who worked on it for an hour before saying it had to be sent back to the factory, which they did. About a week later Johnny Dury of Durys guns called me and said my gun was replaced by Glock free of charge and I could come pick up the new one. I asked what happened and he said the metal block in the frame that all the pins go through to hold things together has somehow cracked, completely jamming the gun and they had to cut the frame apart to get it out.

Needless to say, I ribbed Chris Edwards about that ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I only had one Glock fail on me, it was a brand new G34 I won in a GSSF match the year prior (2002). At the time the G34 was the new kid on the block, and I had truglo fiber sights put on it and shot a box of rounds through it and put it in the safe.

Sure enough, next GSSF match is in full swing and so am I, cleaning up every stage and well on my way to winning another gun. I’m on the plate rack, the buzzer goes off, I smoke through 3 rounds and then nothing. I thought it was a squib so I dropped the mag and tried to rack the slide back and couldn’t budge it. I set the gun down on the table and stepped back away, telling the RO I had a malfunction that an armorer would have to address.

Chris Edwards of Glock had a big crowd of law enforcement folks with him, walked over and said “please tell me you were using factory ammo”?

I said of course, I had bought the case of PMC at the match today. They turned it over to an armorer who worked on it for an hour before saying it had to be sent back to the factory, which they did. About a week later Johnny Dury of Durys guns called me and said my gun was replaced by Glock free of charge and I could come pick up the new one. I asked what happened and he said the metal block in the frame that all the pins go through to hold things together has somehow cracked, completely jamming the gun and they had to cut the frame apart to get it out.

Needless to say, I ribbed Chris Edwards about that ever since.
If your 34 happened to have a 2 pin frame, that was a very common failure. The locking block carries most of the stress of recoil and only having one pin through it allowed the block to twist and contact the barrel and slide causing a jam that usually requires the frame to be cut apart - or replaced completely. Glock switched over to 3 pins and the problem was solved. The 43/43X/48 family only uses 2 pins, but I'm told they redesigned how the locking block fits in the frame to prevent any twisting.
@ShooterGramps I cannot believe you blew up a G21. I have run 45 Supers in a G21 for several years at almost 50% more pressure than a SAAMI max .45 ACP. I also ran .45 ACP cases for 40 reloads back during the years I competed with a 1911. If you start with good cases and inspect them carefully with each reloading and never load a double charge, they will last a long, long time.

One old rule of thumb: Cheap ammunition / components always fail when you least expect it.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If your 34 happened to have a 2 pin frame, that was a very common failure. The locking block carries most of the stress of recoil and only having one pin through it allowed the block to twist and contact the barrel and slide causing a jam that usually requires the frame to be cut apart - or replaced completely. Glock switched over to 3 pins and the problem was solved. The 43/43X/48 family only uses 2 pins, but I'm told they redesigned how the locking block fits in the frame to prevent any twisting.
@ShooterGramps I cannot believe you blew up a G21. I have run 45 Supers in a G21 for several years at almost 50% more pressure than a SAAMI max .45 ACP. I also ran .45 ACP cases for 40 reloads back during the years I competed with a 1911. If you start with good cases and inspect them carefully with each reloading and never load a double charge, they will last a long, long time.

One old rule of thumb: Cheap ammunition / components always fail when you least expect it.
You are correct. I know since the replacement gun has since fired thousands of trouble free rounds with zero issues, so at the very least my sons have an interesting story to tell about it when I pass it on to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Id be curious what exactly "surplus" ammo you were using. Got more info on it?

And is this by any chance the same 9mm that has blown up other guns? If so, I think it is a problem with the ammo, not the guns. Maybe stop shooting this ammo if it keeps exploding guns.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1st thing people ask...was it reloads. I've been reloading since 1962 and I've never had a squib round or an overcharged round in all those years but I have had 2 squib rounds using factory ammo. One before I started reloading and one after in a friends gun. I have a lot more faith in the rounds I load than factory ammo. The ammo I carry for my protection is my new loads not reloads. I use all new components in my loads so they're all factory new made in my factory.

·
Registered
335 Posts
1st thing people ask...was it reloads. I've been reloading since 1962 and I've never had a squib round or an overcharged round in all those years but I have had 2 squib rounds using factory ammo. One before I started reloading and one after in a friends gun. I have a lot more faith in the rounds I load than factory ammo. The ammo I carry for my protection is my new loads not reloads. I use all new components in my loads so they're all factory new made in my factory.
I used to work as the gunsmith at the local indoor range. One thing I noticed about people shooting reloads is that you tend to see a mixed bag when it came to quality control. Some people were meticulous about their quality process. Others were haphazard. The only ones I tended to see at the counter with a problem were the latter category. That's why anytime somebody brought me a gun that "wasn't working right" I would first ask what they were feeding it. If they said reloads I would first switch to factory ammo to try and eliminate that variable. Sometimes it would fix the issue, sometimes it wouldn't but it was one variable. I agree that factory ammunition companies aren't without fault but I have rarely seen more issues with factory ammo than reloads. I reload myself for .38 special and .243 Winchester. I trickle every charge and inspect every case before loading. I also put every round through a cartridge check gauge before it goes into a gun. Never had an issue with mine but I am not doing it for volume. I do it because I enjoy the process.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
Pretty much the same for me and my reloading since 1975ish, except I did recently manage to load five rifle rounds sans powder. Doh! Still they didn't squib and visually looked like failed primers. Every time I read of someone having a problem and the first question is, "Were you shooting reloads?" it kind of makes my right eye twitch and my upper left lip curl upwards.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
I like this sentiment. The thoughtful reloader is capable of producing superior, more exacting, and more dependable ammunition that manufacturers are capable of producing. The small time commercial reloader who hawks his cheap-o handloads at the gun shows? Not so much.

Looks like a high pressure load that let go in an unsupported chamber from here. Closer and more detailed photographs would be helpful.

Glocks are neither more "perfection" nor less than a host of other handguns.

Hoping the swelling has gone down and the powder burns are healing without complication. How's the swelling and powder burns doing on the Glock 19?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Glocks are neither more "perfection" nor less than a host of other handguns.
Exactly, I have owned approximately 50 or so Glocks (30+ Glock 19s, 10 Glock 43s, 4 Glock 42s, 3 Glock 26s, and one Glock 17), MANY MANY rounds fired through them, only had one part break - a trigger spring).

I have had a frame rail break on my duty SIG P226 and I had firing pin retaining plate break on a Browning Hi Power back in the 80s. I have also witnessed "a few" other brands of guns go **** up during my 35 years of shooting.

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
Only guessing rotorhead1026, but those could be more fun and frolic than one could enjoy.

Reactions: Pete63
21 - 40 of 66 Posts