Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw something tonight I never thought I would see, a broken Glock 22. I am a dispatcher at my local 911 and the local gun guy. One of the deputies asked me to look at his duty weapon. Once he cleared it and removed the slide, he pointed out the metal rear slide rail had broken off. The deputy said he was at the range the other day for qualification and heard something rattling around in the weapon. That is when he first noticed it. I told him to call Glock as soon as possible to see about repairs and that I would find something else to carry. Fortunately it was the end of his shift and he was on his way home so he was not responding to any more calls. I told him to call me tomorrow and I have several weapons he can choose from to borrow until he gets his duty weapon fixed.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Theres got to be some trickery involved. Everyone knows glock dont break. :image035:
Not true...there have been several incidents of Glocks failing after four million rounds...:image035:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
There was a recall for Glock pistol frames with serial numbers starting with 'E' and were manufactured between Sept 2001 and May 2002 because of this possible issue. Apparently the engineers at Glock tried something different that wasn't for the best. It was the way the frame rails were bonded in the polymer. Glock will supply you a new frame for your pistol if the serial number meets the criteria, and the serial number on the frame alone will change and a #1 will be added to the front of the serial number. If the frame has an 'E' serial number without a #1 in front of it, then it has yet to be replaced. My G23 was an 'E' series pistol and the frame was replaced under the recall.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How do PDs and LE agencies in general handle broken pistols? I guess what Im asking is do they have an armorer or use a local private gunsmith and do they have a safe full of spare heaters like we do?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Wow, you never hear the words "broke" and "Glock" in the same sentence usually!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
How it's dealt with.......

How do PDs and LE agencies in general handle broken pistols? I guess what Im asking is do they have an armorer or use a local private gunsmith and do they have a safe full of spare heaters like we do?
I worked for a small agency and at the time most officers carried 1911's that were their own personal firearms. I and a Lt. typically worked on minor repairs that took little time. If it was major, it was sent off to a gunsmith in a neighboring large city and the officer paid for repairs on personal weapons.
The only time the Dept. supplied a replacement was if the officer was carrying a Dept. issued gun, otherwise it was his responsibility to find a replacement and qualify with it, prior to returning to duty.
The Dept. typically had 2-3 unused guns available.

·
Registered
652 Posts
ive only seen a few glocks breakdown in my lifetime, but man i really do appreciate your service to your community in the way of handling 911 calls (its more hectic then some think) and supplying the officer with a loaner in his time of need. your a valuable asset to your community and for that i commend you.

btw where in KY are you located if you dont mind me asking? i work in madison county here in the great commonwealth

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had an "E" frame G23 that broke a rear rail. Glock gave me a new frame and rebuilt / replaced everything including the mag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts