Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine picked up a new shotgun, and gave me his old broken one. it's a no name brand, a "ultra 87" and won't shoot. When it's fired, theres a click, but nothing. when you eject the round, there is a little puff of smoke, but the round is unfired.

The only damage i can see is the hammer is chipped and theres a little damage on the firing pin.

Could this be the problem and how can I fix this ? I would like to keep this shotgun. I am thinking of trying to find a replacement hammer, but if that doesn't fix it, I dont know what to do.

heres a photos.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8486/dsc0162u.jpg

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'd replace the firing mechanism and go from there. It sounds like the firing pin isn't a) long enough and/or b) needs a new spring.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Do a quick Google search on the following: "ultra 87" shotgun

Does it call up the gun you've got? Note the Century Arms "Ultra 87" manual, there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea. its a Century Arms Ultra 87. Where can i buy parts for it ?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It sounds like the gun is currently unsafe. A round might possibly ignite well after you have pulled the trigger. :ahhhhh:

Keep it unloaded until you are sure that it is functioning properly.

On second thought... Have you considered that the ammo might be the problem? After you have attempted to fire the gun, is there a strike mark on the primer?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If there is a puff of smoke, it sure sounds like an ammo issue. The primer should either set it off, or not do anything. What you describe is pretty rare for a malfunctioning gun, but not for bad ammo.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If there is a puff of smoke, it sure sounds like an ammo issue. The primer should either set it off, or not do anything. What you describe is pretty rare for a malfunctioning gun, but not for bad ammo.
Yep ... If there's smoke, there should be "bang". If the firing pin is leaving a strike mark on the primer, chances are its not the gun. A light primer strike is not out of the question but not all that common. Take a photo of the shotshell primer after you have pulled the trigger and post that for us to see.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't put live ammo in it since I got it for that exact reason. I don't want to pull the trigger, and have it fire 5 mins. after being ejected.

The ammo is Federal target ammo. I have 4 boxes that were given to me with the gun. When he gave me the gun, he showed me what was happening. We tried 5 rounds. At the time they were brand new, now they are 6 or 7 months old.

I don't have any photos of the primers. I can take it to a range and fire off another round, but what do i do with it if it doesn't fire ? There is a state game lands range not far from me, thats where i would be, if it makes a difference.

How dangerous would it be to "unload" a shotgun shell ? like take out the powder and shot, so I'm just firing the primer, or the primer and powder ?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
What ever the case is, the gun sounds dangerous. I'd take it to a gunsmith and make the thing is safe before I'd fooled with it again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have wanted to take it to a gunsmith, but most I talk to just want to send the gun out costing even more... anyone know a gunsmith that actually does the work, and can look at it ?

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
Do you have a gun shop you favor? Every gun shop should have a 'smith' who could give some good advice. I would not mess with such an old firearm, I'd want an 'expert' looking at it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Agree with ammo issue.
Agree with having smith look it over first.
Encourage you to make trade for something better!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
only problem with trading is that a) i will probably get $20 for it, and b) i have no monies to pay the difference... hopefully ill be working in the next few weeks. one of my first purchases will be a new shotgun. :tumbleweed:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts