Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Checked the mail yesterday afternoon and my new holster had come in from Gary Brommeland. I took a series of pics comparing the "Service Grade" to his ... err, "Premium" Max-Con V (what'cha gonna call the original now Gary?). First off, I have to apologize for the quality of the pics, the light was fading fast and I rushed several shots - I'll try to replace the blurry pics with better ones, though it'll be at least Monday before I get the chance.

In any case as I said in Gary's thread, I had to put both holsters side by side and look closely to see the differences between the two. The detailed boning is all there, just maybe not as crisp in some areas. It's MUCH more refined than I'd expected. The dye and acrylic finish on both seem identical to me as does the built in curvature for the hip. In fact, it's so close that I waited for Gary to confirm that this was indeed a Service Grade holster and not a "first run" that got sent by accident before posting these pics. Here's the original, "Premium" holster shots first followed by the corresponding "Service Grade" pics for comparison.

First off, here's a full shot of the Premium:

Now the Service Grade:

Detail of the ejection port - Premium (note the crisp line at the upper edge):

And the Service Grade (just a bit softer detail at the upper edge):

Detail of the trigger guard area - Premium (sharp edges between frame and slide, inside the trigger guard and the trigger itself):

And the Service Grade (again, just a smidge softer):

Thumb safety detail, backside of the holster - Premium (nice and tight around the safety, note the detail in the slide release):

And the Service Grade (Again, just a tiny bit less around the safety - still positive engagement though :yup: and slide release):

Now you guys tell me, does the "Service Grade" look like it's any less than the first rate work you'd expect from Gary? The price on the receipt is $69.95 vs. $89.95 for the original, premium grade holster. Maybe it's just me but I consider that one HELL of a deal!

As soon as funds allow I plan on ordering a Service Grade Max-Con V AND a Def Con for that XD I've got sitting in layaway - probably a Def-Con for my 1911 too. Thanks for a great holster and the chance for a "sneak peak" at what's coming Gary (and Mrs. B too! :hand10:). I'd say you two are about to get a WHOLE lot busier up on that mountain! :congrats:
Jack

·
Registered
737 Posts
Holy cow, that's even less of a difference than I was expecting! Dang it, now I'm just going to be tempted to buy more guns and holsters! Thanks Gary!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
i may order one myself for one or both my kahrs ( assuming the p9 pans out for me lol )

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Phenomenal work!

Gary's "Service Grade" is much better than some of the premium grades offered by other established well known holster makers!

:congrats: Congrats to you and Gary!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't wait to get mine. I can't get to the PO until Monday morning. It might be there, but, in any event, should arrive next week if it isn't.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Awesome....so can we start ordering those "service grade" holsters?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Nice! I can't wait for my normal grade, premimum, whatever? Max-Con V to get here. :mad:

Ti

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Wonderful work. I agree that you really couldn't tell the difference if they weren't side by side.

Good job, Gary.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Hi Guys,

This is Remy, Gary's wife. (I guess I need to register for myself, huh?) Thanks for all the kind comments! Actually, we appreciate all feedback.

We are going to call the premium line the "Presentation Grade". Gary has been working with me on the first batch of Service Grade holsters - I should ship out the first orders this week. We are working out a schedule - I think I keep getting under foot, but he is being patient.... Gary's "touch" is obvious in his work - he is tough in the QC department! It might be a couple of weeks before I get up to speed.

I have to say, holster shops are "guy" places - I am frankly terrified of his stitcher! And as Gary is about a foot taller than me, I am going to have to get a kiddie step stool to reach everything. Fortunately he isn't good with a camera....I'm going to start answering the phones for most of the day ('cause I definitely am not stitching any holsters!) and I am looking forward to talking with you all.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to "meet" you Remy. You two did a great job on my Max-Con V and I couldn't be happier, just wanted to say thank you! Hope you don't need much sleep because I think you're about to get REALLY busy. :yup:
Jack

·
Registered
102 Posts
Remy.....Welcome

Thank you for your honesty and we welcome you to our family! Most of us are very familiar with Gary's "Touch" as you say. You both seem to work well together! Just feed him some liquid and energy food, from time to time,............and give him some vitamins. Tell us that he wasn't trying to put you on the stitcher........:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Looks and sounds like a bargain. Did't see too much of a difference. Nice looking craftmanship.

·
Banned
3 Posts
gunsavey said:
Thank you for your honesty and we welcome you to our family! Most of us are very familiar with Gary's "Touch" as you say. You both seem to work well together! Just feed him some liquid and energy food, from time to time,............and give him some vitamins. Tell us that he wasn't trying to put you on the stitcher........:ahhhhh:
Thank you for the welcome. And yes, he did try to put me on the stitcher. I sorta kinda stitched a very wavy line that was supposed to be straight, whimpered, whined and exhausted my entire repertoire of "girlie" noises.

I am now assigned to phone duty.

Actually, this is intended to benefit everyone's orders. There are some tasks that cannot be interupted - and if they are, the entire process must be repeated. One of Gary's primary concerns is that our customers feel as though they are appreciated (which they are!!!), - but the sheer number of phone calls and emails has gotten to the point in which nothing else has been getting done. I've actually seen 12 hr work days go by in which he has not completed a single holster because of time spent on the phone and computer.

Since there are a lot of things in the shop that only he can do, I will be catching the phone from now on :wave:. Hopefully, this will trim some of the wait time down to more reasonable levels. Besides, as he pointed out with one of those gritted teeth "husband" smiles, I can still do the "sissy" stuff.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hey Remy - saw you post earlier as Gary! Now - doggone it you've registered.

That's great and a big welcome to you :smilez:

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Welcome, Remy. We appreciate it that you are taking some of the load off Gary.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Remy, next time Gary acts up you just hang some pink curtains in the shop and remind him that the "stitcher" is really just a butched out sewing machine. :rofl:
Jack

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
maclean3 said:
Well Remy, next time Gary acts up you just hang some pink curtains in the shop and remind him that the "stitcher" is really just a butched out sewing machine. :rofl:
Jack
Jack,

Butched out sewing machine, huh? That sucker weighs 300+ lbs and will actually stitch thin sheet metal. That's a MANLY sewing machine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts