Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Browning 1911-22 to the range again a few days ago and Gramps patiently loaded magazines for me as I shot 200 rounds total of 7 kinds of ammo: 3 mags each of all except the Eley, which was 2 mags. Distance: 7 yards.

I know it has been shooting high and thought that the low front sight is probably set for a "aim for the bottom of the target to hit the middle" -- point of aim #1 in picture below. The sights are fiber optic and the front sight is NOT replaceable by owner. But at 25 yards it shot about 12" high the last time I had it out and that is truly unacceptable. NO I have not called Browning yet because I thought I needed to do more problem solving on my own so I could speak intelligently to them if and when I do call them.

Having shot Glocks for all those years, and now shooting SIG P238's and the Shield EZ in .380 and also a S&W .22 compact and a Ruger Mark IV Lite, I have always successfully used sight picture #2 successfully. This has been more than a challenge.

WELL, my target pictures were all over the place as I kept moving the POA lower, then a bit higher, all of which threw my aim off in one direction or another to make royal messes. However, I did find out that some kinds of ammo are fairly accurate with decent size groups and others are horrendous with holes all over the place!

I do not shoot from a rest. I shoot "like I shoot" because I need to know how my guns are going to work for me when I use them. And how I shoot is medium speed, anything from double taps to 4 or 5 rounds and then lower the gun. In this session I did very few double taps because of the 10 round magazines and wanting to test 7 kinds of ammo.

So as not to bore you with 7 truly ugly target pictures, here are the last 5 magazines I shot that day, being a bit tired and old arthritic hands getting quite sore.

2018 Oct 12 CCI and Eley with sight picture.jpg

You can see that the CCI Mini Mags I have an awful lot of are probably OK for normal range/competition shooting, given that the 10 ring is most often larger than the little black ring on these rifle targets. BUT the Eley Target, lead bullet ammo was RIGHT ON!!! I only had 20 rounds of the Eley left in the box that a friend gave me. I shot 3 mags of each of the other kinds that day.

Small problems: I do not like to shoot lead bullets because of the clean up of the barrel; I have a goodly supply of CCI Mini Mags, copper coated, and an almost as goodly supply of Aguila .22 Super Extra 40 gr. copper coated and don't need to be spending more money on bulk purchase of another brand; and finally, the Eley is pretty pricey compared to what I've been paying for the other brands.

If I shot bullseye I would pay for the Eley. But if I shot bullseye I wouldn't be using the little Browning either.

And so the saga continues. If I knew before ordering the gun what I know "now" (after owning and shooting the thing) I would have saved my money, for sure. There was NO PLACE within driving distance that had one in stock, except one place a couple hours away that had the compact model with the teeny black fixed sights which I didn't want and that place doesn't have a try before you buy program anyway.

OH YEAH - I forgot to add that when I shoot the CCI Mini Mags, the slide will NOT lock back when the magazine is empty. The least accurate of all the brands I shot did lock the slide back every time. though.

AARGH.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
@ShooterGranny, Thanks for the range report. I'd forgot you bought this pistol, as it was a "TOP SECRET PURCHASE"! :image035:

·
Registered
9,676 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I took the Browning 1911-22 to the range again a few days ago and Gramps patiently loaded magazines for me as I shot 200 rounds total of 7 kinds of ammo: 3 mags each of all except the Eley, which was 2 mags. Distance: 7 yards.

I know it has been shooting high and thought that the low front sight is probably set for a "aim for the bottom of the target to hit the middle" -- point of aim #1 in picture below. The sights are fiber optic and the front sight is NOT replaceable by owner. But at 25 yards it shot about 12" high the last time I had it out and that is truly unacceptable. NO I have not called Browning yet because I thought I needed to do more problem solving on my own so I could speak intelligently to them if and when I do call them.

Having shot Glocks for all those years, and now shooting SIG P238's and the Shield EZ in .380 and also a S&W .22 compact and a Ruger Mark IV Lite, I have always successfully used sight picture #2 successfully. This has been more than a challenge.

WELL, my target pictures were all over the place as I kept moving the POA lower, then a bit higher, all of which threw my aim off in one direction or another to make royal messes. However, I did find out that some kinds of ammo are fairly accurate with decent size groups and others are horrendous with holes all over the place!

I do not shoot from a rest. I shoot "like I shoot" because I need to know how my guns are going to work for me when I use them. And how I shoot is medium speed, anything from double taps to 4 or 5 rounds and then lower the gun. In this session I did very few double taps because of the 10 round magazines and wanting to test 7 kinds of ammo.

So as not to bore you with 7 truly ugly target pictures, here are the last 5 magazines I shot that day, being a bit tired and old arthritic hands getting quite sore.

View attachment 282444

You can see that the CCI Mini Mags I have an awful lot of are probably OK for normal range/competition shooting, given that the 10 ring is most often larger than the little black ring on these rifle targets. BUT the Eley Target, lead bullet ammo was RIGHT ON!!! I only had 20 rounds of the Eley left in the box that a friend gave me. I shot 3 mags of each of the other kinds that day.

Small problems: I do not like to shoot lead bullets because of the clean up of the barrel; I have a goodly supply of CCI Mini Mags, copper coated, and an almost as goodly supply of Aguila .22 Super Extra 40 gr. copper coated and don't need to be spending more money on bulk purchase of another brand; and finally, the Eley is pretty pricey compared to what I've been paying for the other brands.

If I shot bullseye I would pay for the Eley. But if I shot bullseye I wouldn't be using the little Browning either.

And so the saga continues. If I knew before ordering the gun what I know "now" (after owning and shooting the thing) I would have saved my money, for sure. There was NO PLACE within driving distance that had one in stock, except one place a couple hours away that had the compact model with the teeny black fixed sights which I didn't want and that place doesn't have a try before you buy program anyway.

OH YEAH - I forgot to add that when I shoot the CCI Mini Mags, the slide will NOT lock back when the magazine is empty. The least accurate of all the brands I shot did lock the slide back every time. though.

AARGH.
I bore snake my comp 22 using blazer 40 gr lead. 3 passes and it's cleaned and ready for the next match. Couple minutes max to scrub the bore granny.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I hate to say it Granny, but I think you already have a proven (based on my experience w/ at least 165 different students) solution to your problem with your M&P 22 Compact. Mine runs with most any bulk ammo and is not picky. Most .22 versions of the 1911 over the years seem to be very ammo picky and somewhat problematic. Just my .02 worth!

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I hate to say it Granny, but I think you already have a proven (based on my experience w/ at least 165 different students) solution to your problem with your M&P 22 Compact. Mine runs with most any bulk ammo and is not picky. Most .22 versions of the 1911 over the years seem to be very ammo picky and somewhat problematic. Just my .02 worth!
Hindsight, once again. I would have been better off buying a second M&P .22 compact and calling it a day. My Ruger Mark IV has been problematic also in several ways, even after two trips back to the mothership (one for the safety lever recall). The reason I got the Mark IV was to shoot PPC and maybe some action shooting competitions. So far it's not working too well for me but I know I need much, much more practice time with it.

THEN the reasons I bought the Browning 1911-22 were because I really enjoy my two P238's which are very close to being actual 1911's, and also to have a gun on hand that could become a carry gun if my hand strength and arthritis problems become a lot more serious. I did shoot my friend's Ruger SR22, thinking that could be my 3rd play gun, but it totally refused to shoot my Aguila ammo and I really hate DA/SA triggers anyway.

I do really LIKE that M&P .22 compact a whole big bunch! However that same friend had one and it was a total lemon. First one I've heard of that was a loser, but lemons come in all sizes and shapes and brands, don't they? She has had the same success with her Ruger SR22 as I (and a whole bunch of other people I know) have had with our M&P's.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just came across this old thread. My Browning 1911-22 - both of mine - shoot high. Both are the Black Label version with combat (fibre optic) sights. I've concluded this is intentional. The sight picture is similar to what Ruger shows for the sight picture on the 10/22. It's a round target circle above the dot on the front site, not under the dot on the front site. I don't like it, but now I'm used to it. I aim 6 inches low at 25 yards and that seems to work.

I've also had the handgun not lock open on last round. It was happening for all my magazines. The problem was a little grunge on the magazines. I cleaned them with G96, dryed them for a couple of days before using again, and no more problem with lock open - it would always lock open on last round, and I was testing it extensively by putting only one round in the magazine each test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts