Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to handguns altogether. About a year ago, a friend got me started using his .22 Sturm-Ruger Mark II. I used his a few times and finally got my CCL. I was actually a little surprised that in MA I got it. Anyway, I started out by buying a used Mark III from Sturm-Ruger. Then I added a snubby .38, and a Glock 23. All within a brief 3 months. Now, just a few months after getting those, I find myself with a 1943 - 1911A1 (needs a little work) and a Makarov 9mm MAK. I enjoy going to the range, and am looking forward to Sig Academy next month.

I'm happy to carry, but I want to make sure I get some good training. I'm now a member of NRA and IDPA. I don't know if I'll compete, but I won't stop learning and pushing my abilities.

Any hints on handling the snubby would be helpful. At 15 feet I'm OK. I want to be able to be accurate at 50 feet.

My carry will be the Glock.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Welcome from Victoria, B.C. :wave:

Mrs. GB is from Worcester, Mass. :hand5:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Practice, practice and more practice. For some people snubbies are just harder to shoot accurately. I'm not one of them, but I think a large part of that is when I first started shooting, I started with a snubbie. And I still practice regularly with all of mine, the .38 snubbie, the .357 snubbie, 6" .357, the 4" .44 Magnum, and my 4" Kimber.
I usually shoot at least 200 rounds per week, more if I can. I had gotten away from firearms for about 20 years and when I got back into shooting, I was horrified at how badly I shot. Fast forward 9 months and those 6" groups have become 2" or smaller groups at longer and longer distances, and I'm seriously thinking of shooting on a league this winter.
Start at a distance you feel comfortable shooting and gradually move to longer distances as you accuracy improves.
For defensive shooting 50 yards is a long distance, work your way up to it.
This site has a lot of good info and the "Dot Torture" is one of my favorite drills to practice.
pistol-training.com Drills
A much longer read, but one with good info is this one:
U. S. Army Pistol Marksmanship Guide

·
Banned
13,685 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Welcome from Texas! :wave:

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Glock eh? I guess you're an OK guy...:image035:

ret :31:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Practice, practice and more practice. For some people snubbies are just harder to shoot accurately. I'm not one of them, but I think a large part of that is when I first started shooting, I started with a snubbie.
------------------
Thanks Rugergirl, I will continue to improve. Just the Mark III made it feel easy. I'll check those sites.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Greetings from UT, and Welcome to the Forum!

-Plop

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Welcome from Alabama.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Welcome

+1 on the practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered