Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to put the Big Boy pants on as Mom would say, its gonna be a bumpy ride:frown:- I'm always searching for information , trying to digest it all and came upon this which I tend to agree with.

photo-5_zps10b940b9.jpg

So at least in this area I tend to agree its going to be more of this for the rest of the year ....

gone_zps6d75ae39.jpg

All I know is, someplace or many places there is a Hell of an amount of Ammo , OK I have a small amount, but I cant shoot as much that's for sure. At times I wonder, is it too much ? I mean I could not carry it all, and damn its heavy and takes up room . At what point is it enough ? I mean if tomorrow you could not find any......Oh that is now. Pondering ....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,803 Posts
I can see some smart entrepreneur stepping up and filling in the gaps if the major suppliers dont take advantage of it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Time to put the Big Boy pants on as Mom would say, its gonna be a bumpy ride:frown:- I'm always searching for information , trying to digest it all and came upon this which I tend to agree with.

View attachment 73081

So at least in this area I tend to agree its going to be more of this for the rest of the year ....

View attachment 73082

All I know is, someplace or many places there is a Hell of an amount of Ammo , OK I have a small amount, but I cant shoot as much that's for sure. At times I wonder, is it too much ? I mean I could not carry it all, and damn its heavy and takes up room . At what point is it enough ? I mean if tomorrow you could not find any......Oh that is now. Pondering ....:rolleyes:
It's going to guys like me. Six months ago I had no ammo at all and hadn't fired any weapon in 10 years. Now I've got 800 rounds stored up and have probably gone through 1200-1500 rounds over the past few months. Multiply that by millions of other guys like me and you can easily see where the ammo is going, particularly if the big manufacturers are not investing in new capacity.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
If you can stay where your ammo is you can never have enough. If you have to bug out - how much can you take with you?

Reactions: Badey

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
"thebucketeer"

"...eer" sounds suspiciously like a group of folks I know that try to stir things up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Every man and boy that held a gun or was of fighting age died at the Alamo.. only some women and children were left alive..

I never intend for my home to be my own personal Alamo. Survival doesn't mean i need to bunker down and die.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Every man and boy that held a gun or was of fighting age died at the Alamo.. only some women and children were left alive..

I never intend for my home to be my own personal Alamo. Survival doesn't mean i need to bunker down and die.
Yeah, most of us are familiar with the history of the Alamo, hence the reference.

Getting back to the subject of ammo, this truly is a micro-example of what we really could be in for. I'm giving some serious thought to black-powder guns. Some folks would probably think that is extreme, but they are the same ones that thought we were silly to stockpile ammo when there was no shortage.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I can see some smart entrepreneur stepping up and filling in the gaps if the major suppliers dont take advantage of it.
It appears that importation of ammo is increasing, my LGS had an assortment of Tula, Wolf, Junior and Cavin ammo and all were overpriced. Most customers, while I was there, looked over the ammo and limited number of guns, laughed and moved on.
How about S&W Shield for $549 which is about $100 over MSRP.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
...Getting back to the subject of ammo, this truly is a micro-example of what we really could be in for. I'm giving some serious thought to black-powder guns. Some folks would probably think that is extreme, but they are the same ones that thought we were silly to stockpile ammo when there was no shortage.
Why fool with black powder guns? (Except as a hobby, of course!)

If push came to shove, and black powder was the only propellant available, you could load most any traditional revolver cartridge with it. Both the .45LC and .38 Special were originally designed for it. No question that it would work in .44 Mag, .357, etc. Might not perform up to 'modern' specs, but you'd have a usable cartridge. You could take advantage of modern revolver and lever gun designs instead of relying on muzzle-loaders. As long as you've got a real good stock of brass and primers, you oughtta be in pretty good shape.

Heck, I remember (quite) a few years ago reading a survivalist-oriented article describing a guy experimenting with handloading .44 Mag ammo with match heads. He got a perfectly workable round, although it delivered pretty modest power levels and I'd bet the performance was not real consistent.

Have to admit - your comment has got me thinking more about a handgun-caliber lever gun! I've always kind of wanted one in .357 or .44 Mag, but you've uncovered a good excuse, er, reason for getting one!

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
I just started buying ammo recently so you know I've overpaid for a lot of it, but I'm up to 1000+ rounds and still buying although being a little more thrifty. Personally I don't think TSWHTF in my lifetime but if it does ammo is better than money.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Why fool with black powder guns? (Except as a hobby, of course!)

Because primers and other loading materials get scarce too. Lead, powder and caps are easier to stockpile.

Although honestly, I'm really not that hard-core of a prepper... yet. I'm just thinking about it for fun. I've also had a hankering for some time now for a lever-action .357. They're just hard to find and pricey when you do.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I just started buying ammo recently so you know I've overpaid for a lot of it, but I'm up to 1000+ rounds and still buying although being a little more thrifty. Personally I don't think TSWHTF in my lifetime but if it does ammo is better than money.
I got caught by the 2009 run on ammo. Since then I started a practice of never leaving Walmart without an ammo purchase. I never left a gun show without a few cans of bulk ammo. If I saw a screaming deal online, I hit it. Just three years of that type of purchasing put me in good shape for this year.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts