Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Held a pardner pump shotgun at my local big-box sports store the other day and was impressed, it felt very sturdy and was heavy. Are these shotguns built to last and what sort of longevity do they have. The salesman told me that in China these guns are still built the old fashioned way, with plenty of pure steel. He mentioned that the American made shottys tend to have more metal alloys in them making them lighter. It seems like it should last forever but I also realize heavy doesn't necessarily mean durable. Fit and finish were decent too. A little rough when I racked the slide but not bad.

·
Super Moderator
19,373 Posts
If you're budget-challenged, I would look for a used 870 Express with a metal trigger guard, which dates to the first 5 years or so of the budget 870 line. Their reliability is top-notch.

BTW - welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Norinco made imported by Interstate arms and others ..Yes very solid and well built more so imop then new guns

Downside is you have to deal with 922r so only 5 round mag tube so a bit o work will be needed to put more shells into the game

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
In some places you can get a Mossberg 500 a little under 325.00. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think it's pretty hard to beat a maverick 88 in budget shotguns. All the important parts of the shotgun are basically identical to its 500 and 590 counterparts. As long as you keep pumping it will keep dumping. But most pump shotguns these days can get the job done. That being said the Mossberg 500 family and 870s are proven over years of abuse. I have heard reports of the new 870s having problems with the cheap steel short brass sticking in the chambers though. For under $200 you can find yourself a maverick 88 and can count on it.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Mossbergs are made in USA and can be had at your local Walmart for less than $260, why would you want something poorly made by child labor in China? Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: DingBat

·
Registered
686 Posts
870s are pretty dang affordable. that said I have an old single shot New England firearms pardner for 30 some years and it is still good to go. So if its anything like that old hammer I'd guess it would be ok. Now the issue I would have wouldn't be with the barrel of the gun you speak of it would be with the internal pump parts and the extractors etc. What are they made of and how well will they hold up? right now on basspro.com the 870 is $329. so I am sure you can find it for less at a LGS.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Um... 870s are inexpensive already. In a life or death situation, I bet you would of rather paid the extra 100 or so bucks for that Remington.
Agree. If it's going to be used for HD I'd go with the 870 or a Benelli. I use a Benelli tactical 12 gauge for HD and it wasn't all that expensive.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I have a Mossberg Maverick 88....,<$200 and it's great!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the replies. i'm waiting for the new Remington model (hardwood home defense) to come out. That's what I really want. I was intrigued by the pardner shotgun, especially after holding it. So many of our everyday products are made in China (ie. smartphones), I figured their guns may not be all that bad. But what do I know, LOL!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
I do agree on USA made shotguns, however because of the cheaper prices such as the 870's, etc. Many use some questionable internals.
If you can find an early 870 go with it.

As for the Chinese manufactured products, any NORINCO manufactured handgun, rifle or shotgun will likely be as good and sometimes better than
the current USA made stuff. Not dissing on our stuff, but don't sell them short either. The 922r requirements are not difficult to do.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Hawk 982. An 870 clone out of China. I've seen these for $175

Reactions: Buckeye63

·
Registered
293 Posts
thanks for all the replies. i'm waiting for the new Remington model (hardwood home defense) to come out. That's what I really want. I was intrigued by the pardner shotgun, especially after holding it. So many of our everyday products are made in China (ie. smartphones), I figured their guns may not be all that bad. But what do I know, LOL!!!!!!!
I've actually heard decent things about the Pardner Pump guns, and that they are built (a little) better than the current 870 Express's coming off the line. Also they're parts are mostly interchangeable with the only gripe that I've heard is the mag tube extension being a bear to work with as the Pardner has dimples that need to be ground off.

That being said, I've got a Mossberg 500 7+1 that I LOVE, and as others have said a maverick 88 can be had for about $20 more than a Pardner Pump if you know where to look.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I use the 870 Express for HD, but I had to do some work on it before I would feel comfortable - razor sharp edges, plastic trigger group, and pitiful finish. From what I've seen with the Chinese clones, they seem superior in every way, but I'd need a few hundred rounds through one before it would replace the Express. Mossberg would be the better choice.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I paid $175 for my 870 NEW at Academy. I bought the basic, dumbed down, matt finish metal & wood 12 ga for duck hunting, knowing it would take a beating. $175 is hard to beat and it's every bit an 870. If you watch the sales as hunting seasons approach you can find some amazing deals on them. Academy had it marked down and I had an add'l 10% off promotional voucher.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I bought a Mossberg 590A1, LNIB, with 5 rounds ever fired through it, for $300 a few years ago.

Go cheap on something else besides the quality of life saving technology. Cheap price paid = Good. Cheap quality gun for cheap price = not a bargain.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts