Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of my Daughter (kind of an adopted daughter in her own right) does some part time work for a small coffee stand. She walks to work and had a guy follow her a bit the other morning. She has asked about a snubby, but is on a tight budget.

I’m more of a semi-auto guy, but recently I’ve been getting back interest in revolvers, but my experience is pretty limited. I own one Taurus 85 that I didn’t go looking for, but it was presented to me. I have tended to turn my nose up at some of the Taurus stuff, but found myself pleasantly surprised by this mid 1990s example.

only other revolvers I’ve owned were S&W or Ruger.

jumped on Gunbroker to see what is out there in her price range $300 or under. And there isn’t a whole lot there. Maybe some Used Taurus 856s, Armscor M206, older Rossi, and some Charter Arms in this price area.

If I could find a Smith in that price range, there’d be no question, but…Smith’s ain’t that cheap, even with the finish scrubbed off from wear.

for now I’ve given some defensive advice, pepper spray, a whistle and a knife.

Any ideas on reliable budget snubbies? Love to hear from folks who have actually packed them and shot more than a box a year through some.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
GB is imop not the place to look anymore for good deals .. Black friday is coming up I would start there .

My go to would be either a LCR or a 642 no lock s&w

Now are we sure she wants a snubby as the recoil on small gun like that is not exct fun

There are number of Taurus I have seen cheep as well ..The last gun show I was at had a 3inch 38 taurus with night sights brand new for like 350 or 400 out the door

At 300 bucks your best bet is to haunt the local pawn/gun shop for used gun or get a rossi or Taurus etc

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I have an example of only one. This is my Rossi M88 I bought new in 1994.
I carried it exclusively the first 16 years and sporadically after but, since mid 2020 it went back into full time EDC. I could not count the number of rounds I have fired these last 26+ years. Obviously I trust my life to it.
The ones imported by Interarms are reported to be the best quality and it is stamped on the right side frame as such. My son carries a Charter arms that he has been happy with but, I know he does not shoot it much at all so in my mind not very well tested.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
One thing I will add just looking around online not many good deals on cheep wheel gun.. Some great deals on semi auto at or well under 300 .. Frankly right now in this market I would get a LCP max or the like as they can had at the 300ish price point ... The only wheel guns at the point as I said are Taurus and the Armscor guns

For example the s&w sheild EZ guns are like 380-400 now and are throwing in ammo with the gun

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
One thing I will add just looking around online not many good deals on cheep wheel gun.. Some great deals on semi auto at or well under 300 .. Frankly right now in this market I would get a LCP max or the like as they can had at the 300ish price point ... The only wheel guns at the point as I said are Taurus and the Armscor guns

For example the s&w sheild EZ guns are like 380-400 now and are throwing in ammo with the gun
I agree that people are bringing out some junk on Gunbroker and trying to fleece people. Even though you can refuse transfer if its junk you have to go through the hassle which can be considerable. If you can peruse the local shops where you can at least run a used revolver through a function checkup then do that.
If I am looking for something I have good enough relationships with local shops to keep an eye out for me and they often come through.
I will also ask about this persons gun experience? I would not necessarily say no to a snub but, I would take her to the range and let her try your 85 just to see.
I have done that to two different rookie female shooters and they happen to love them and shoot them well but, most women are better shooters than men anyway in my life's experience and those smaller hands often do better on small framed guns..

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If a range near you rents semi autos and snubbies, rent both and see what she likes. Has she shot any of your guns? A snubby may or may not be for her. Whatever gun she decides on, make sure she budgets some money for ammo. She needs to practice with her new purchase and get proficient. FMJ for practice, and HP for carry.

·
Premium Member
6,867 Posts
Used 642 no lock.

Reactions: Wild Onion

·
Registered
232 Posts
Charter Arms Undercovers are good guns at a fair price. They even come in just about any color you can stand :)

I inherited an Undercover from my dear old Dad. He trusted it for years, and once used it to put down a bad guy at his back door.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I agree with Wild Onion. Revolvers are simple but difficult to shoot accurately without a lot of practice. If she's on a limited budget she'll quickly find that .38spc is considerably more expensive than 9mm and probably won't practice very much, if at all.

Take her to a range, rent a few revolvers and semi-auto 9mm on your nickle and see what she can handle best. I bet a box of bullets she'll do better with semi-autos.

While the gun might be the most expensive outlay up front, there's also the cost of ammo, rudimentary training, holster, range fees, etc.

I also wouldn't suggest .380 (more expensive than .38 and less effective) or .22 unless she is very recoil sensitive. I'd rather have a .22 than nothing at all.

-------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GB is imop not the place to look anymore for good deals .. Black friday is coming up I would start there .

My go to would be either a LCR or a 642 no lock s&w

Now are we sure she wants a snubby as the recoil on small gun like that is not exct fun

There are number of Taurus I have seen cheep as well ..The last gun show I was at had a 3inch 38 taurus with night sights brand new for like 350 or 400 out the door

At 300 bucks your best bet is to haunt the local pawn/gun shop for used gun or get a rossi or Taurus etc
I mostly went to GB to scan what products were available in this category and price range.

I’m hoping to get her to a gun range and let her try a few handguns in order to help her figure out if the snubby is the route she wants to go. I personally tend to hold the opinion that snubby revolvers are best for experienced shooters who already have a pretty solid grasp on shooting fundamentals. Even I have a preference for steel frames in snubbies to better mitigate recoil.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Used 642/442 or any ruger used. Way better to buy one of those tanks used.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do not tell her what she wants.
Let her tell you what she wants.
Then go with her to shoot it (and perhaps some others) and ask again.
A revolver was what she inquired about, because she had shot one before.

She hasn’t had a lot of exposure to other options yet. I’m hoping to rectify that situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an example of only one. This is my Rossi M88 I bought new in 1994.
I carried it exclusively the first 16 years and sporadically after but, since mid 2020 it went back into full time EDC. I could not count the number of rounds I have fired these last 26+ years. Obviously I trust my life to it.
The ones imported by Interarms are reported to be the best quality and it is stamped on the right side frame as such. My son carries a Charter arms that he has been happy with but, I know he does not shoot it much at all so in my mind not very well tested.
View attachment 367926
Thanks for the info. It was exactly what I asked for. That thing looks like a safe queen. Impressive cleaning or freshen-up you did there.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am a S&W wheelgun man, but I bought a Taurus 856 on a whim because it was a 6 shot, and had a great price on it. Couldn’t be happier, I carry it routinely now. Has been 100% reliable, accurate, just a good gun, even though it was cheap. I don’t regret buying it a bit, and trust it without hesitation.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
If she is looking for new guns,
the M200 series is a little larger, but holds 6 rounds. The extra weight makes them easier to shoot but heavier to carry.
The Windicator comes out of Germany, and is in the same league. Both are alloy frames with steel barrels and cylinders.
Neither are pretty to look at and come with very basic finishes.[ no polishing. no blueing, not great metal to wood fit, etc. ] I know people who own both, and for a Tackle box or tool box guns they have done everything asked of them.
The Taurus will cost a bit more, but will be more compact, and easier to find holsters. The Taurus 85 has been around for years and if she ever needed parts they are out there.
If she is looking at used guns,
My wife has a 9 shot Astra in J frame size. It is a 22 cal with adjustable sights and a 3" barrel. It has been flawless, She has owned and shot it since the early 80's. I think Taurus still makes one like it.
I have owned a couple Charter guns in 32 and 38 spl. Both have done what I needed.
I have also owned a couple H&R snub's in 32, 32 mag, and 38. Those from the 80's were solid guns, But heavy, and not much was done to polish, finish, or fit the grips. I still have a pair in 32 H&R Mag.
Good Luck to her! DR

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Thanks for the info. It was exactly what I asked for. That thing looks like a safe queen. Impressive cleaning or freshen-up you did there.
That pic is at least 12 years old. Here is one from last month. Gun and holster are not so shiny anymore and I bobbed a second hammer I picked up so I could keep the original intact. This is a "Lady Rossi" model 88 which is why it has a round butt grip. It used to have that printed on the copper grip medallions under a thick clear coat but, its long ago worn off. I just liked the concealment factor better on the Lady model grips so I checked my ego at the door and bought it instead of the standard square butt model. No regrets.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry

1 - 20 of 112 Posts