Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Who has used Buffalo Bore ammo?
And what do you think of it?
I use it in my .38 special. I've got the short barrel +P stuff and it's HOT HOT HOT! I like the it a lot in my steel framed Rossi, but it is too hot for me to shoot out of my S&W 642. I think it's good ammo and would suggest it to anyone who is not recoil sensitive.

·
Super Moderator
18,887 Posts
I've used it in .38 Special and it's all it's cracked up to be. I mostly handload but for the most potent .38 Special ammunition it is very difficult to safely beat Buffalo Bore +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter .38 Special performance with any sane handload. Velocities are also uniform when tested over the chronograph screens.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree. BB makes great ammo.

I particularly like their .357 MAG 180gr LFNGC. I carry it when deer hunting and have used it on hogs.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
How much is their delivery delay these days?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Buffalo Bore is the ammo I use in all my carry guns. I don't target practice with it much, just enough to feel comfortable with it. I have it in .380, 9mm, .357 sig, and .40 S&W. I am going to try some Underwood and see how it compares.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I've used it in .38 Special and it's all it's cracked up to be. I mostly handload but for the most potent .38 Special ammunition it is very difficult to safely beat Buffalo Bore +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter .38 Special performance with any sane handload. Velocities are also uniform when tested over the chronograph screens.
Agreed....their offerings are positively devastating. Bmcgilvray is spot on about their 38's, they perform more closely to some other manufacturers 357 loads. Buffalo Bore is focused on high quality, and that is exactly what you get.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
I use it in:

380 ACP - Ruger LCP
9x18 Mak - CZ82
45 LC - Taurus 445

45-70 Gov - Marlin Guide Gun

In short, in every older/underpowered chambering where I can use them in a modern gun, when the normal commercial makers will not produce a high quality, higher powered round. They are everything they claim to be, just damn expensive.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll throw my hat in for BB too! I pack it for EDC in my .380 and my HD 38. Hotter 'n' Hell, you pay for it! $30 per 20 rounds is the norm, but worth it if u ever need it!

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
I might be going against the grain here, but I'm not sure I see the point of BB ammo, except maybe for hunting.

AFAIK, they do not make their own JHP bullets. When you push JHPs past their designed velocity spec, you typically see more expansion, but less penetration. Personally, I do not like trading penetration for more expansion.

For their solid bullets (SWC/FMJ), I do not see the point of the added velocity. Standard velocity solids in .38 and .380 already get more than the required penetration, so I do not see why you would want more recoil and slower follow-on shots.

Finally, with the cost of this ammo, I seriously doubt most shooters will run enough of them through their semi-autos to confirm reliable feeding.

So again, other than handgun hunting (where their solids might be useful for deeper penetration), I just do not see the point.

Maybe someone can enlighten me?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I use it in:

380 ACP - Ruger LCP
9x18 Mak - CZ82
45 LC - Taurus 445

45-70 Gov - Marlin Guide Gun

In short, in every older/underpowered chambering where I can use them in a modern gun, when the normal commercial makers will not produce a high quality, higher powered round. They are everything they claim to be, just damn expensive.
Do you use the solids or the JHP in 9mm Makorov ? I looked at them but the LGS has Hornady FTX in stock; was local purchase w/o a wait and I figure pretty decent ammo. Just wonder if they are that much better and if the flat point solids feed reliably in a weapon that was designed to feed ball ammo. The FTX with the polymer insert in the hollow point cavity seemed to be a good idea for reliable feeding. Not sure that it makes a difference since I never tried the BB but I fired 40+ rounds thru my P64 without a feed problem and they were as accurate as the ball.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
One more consideration, for those thinking about BB for their .380...standard velocity FMJ FPs seem to tumble, while the hot stuff does not. The tumbling can add to the terminal effects.

Pocket Guns and Gear: 380 Auto FMJ Heavy Clothing Terminal Testing in Clear Gel

In addition, the hot stuff gives you more than the FBI max of 18 inches, which increases over penetration risk.

So while perhaps counter intuitive, it seems regular FMJ FP in .380 is actually better than the hotter loads. More than enough penetration, but not too much; tumbles; less recoil; and you can actually afford to proof it and practice with it.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
I use the hard cast solids. I want to penetrate coats and still get adequate penetration if I have to shoot from the side.

Like the commercial says "More is better than less" especially with small bullets.

More you read about shootings, the more you understand penetration is the key and too little can be fatal (to the shooter) and too much.......well, so be it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I carry with Buuffalo Bore ammunition in 9mm, .357 magnum, .44 Special and .44 magnum. I chronograph each load and found them as promoted by Buffalo Bore. I am very content with their ammunition.

·
Registered
861 Posts
In addition, the hot stuff gives you more than the FBI max of 18 inches, which increases over penetration risk.
I thought the FBI was looking for minimum 18" of penetration in gel. By the time you account for bones and clothing you're not going to get 18" in an actual human body.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts