Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry my primary pistol, a G21, IWB on my left side.

I am considering carrying a G27 as a BUG; this one is 6.3 inches long. While small compared to the 7.6 inch length of the G21, it's probably too big for the common pocket-holster carry style for BUGs.

So I am seeking opinions or advice. If you happen to carry a primary and BUG combination without using pocket-carry, what's your arrangement?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Colt Cobra in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster, worn with boot-cut jeans or pants.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I carry either a Kahr PM9 in an Grandfather Oak (GO) Pocket Companion XL kydex pocket holster or a Kel Tec P3AT in GO Pocket Companion kydex pocket holster. Either gun goes in my weakhand front pants pocket.

I know some people that pocket carry either a G26 or G27 so it is possible; but I don't know if I could get used to carrying a gun that thick in a pocket.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
for that baby glock i personaly would seriously look at a bellyband or varation there of such as the " bra" type soft vertical sholder rigs some are offering now but personaly i would look at a slimmer profile bug and not worry about mags being interchangable a reload for the bug is easyer tucked away than the thickness of a glock most times ( edited by me to suggest a diff bug on re read of the post )

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Main choice is R9 - either ankle or pocket. In winter tho things are so much easier re concealment and so not too difficult to throw another SIG into a sho rig for example - depending where I am going.

BTW - the other thread on BUGS would tie in with your question, as folks have given a lot of thoughts there too.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Actually, people do carry the G26-27 in pocket. You need larger pockets and to help hide it well, a larger body too. :D
Ankle carry is always a good option, but you have to train for it..just like any other style of carry.
Thunderware/smartcarry are also quite popular with smaller guns, Ive tried one of these on and didnt work with a 1911 Gobt. for me, but would be a viable method of deep concealment with a smaller gun.
Hope this helps..........good luck and let us know what you find works for YOU!
Shoot well.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
good ideas!

I see that several holster makers do make pocket holsters for the G26 or G27. I can get the unloaded G27 itself into a pocket, but it prints significantly. I would not carry a Glock without the trigger encased, and it seems like adding a holster would make the whole thing print big-time.

Looks like ankle carry is fairly popular. Maybe I should try it.

I have a SmartCarry sized for the G21. Once I realized that a pistol holstered in one does not actually point at any part of me, I warmed up to it a little. Testing draw with the unloaded G21, I found that I must concentrate to avoid angling the muzzle inward when lifting the pistol out of the holster. Tried this for summer use. My standard outfit in the warm months (it was -3F here early today, has warmed up to 0) includes Grammici shorts, which have a built-in thin nylon waistband, completely unsuitable for supporting anything. The SmartCarry with its own waistband is a perfect match for these shorts, which are naturally baggy and can easily conceal any Glock.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Anubis said:
I see that several holster makers do make pocket holsters for the G26 or G27. I can get the unloaded G27 itself into a pocket, but it prints significantly. I would not carry a Glock without the trigger encased, and it seems like adding a holster would make the whole thing print big-time.

Looks like ankle carry is fairly popular. Maybe I should try it.

Howdy!

Actually, a properly designed pocket holster will REDUCE printing by changing the profile of the firearm and making it look more like a wallet being carried in a front pocket. Having said that, I personally agree w/ you that a G26/27 is a bit much for pocket carry.

Lou Alessi makes a DYNAMITE ankle rig for Glock 26/27's. I would recommend one without hesitation.

A pocket holster is actually my favorite method (when used properly, they are INCREDIBLY fast) , but I tend to prefer a bit smaller firearm for such applications.

I dunno if this helps or not. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me the 26/27 is to blocky/heavy for pocket or ankle carry for edc. A snubby works better for me. I do carry a 26 in a pocket holster but rarely.
William

·
Registered
427 Posts
The K9 carries well in Docker-type slacks or Columbia shorts (both tend to be a little baggy on me) with a SmartCarry. After a bit of practice, the K9 comes out fairly quick. My brother carries a G26 and it fits the same SmartCarry I have and should work as well with it as it does for the K9. The G26 is a bit thicker and the grip may print a little...the SmartCarry has a 60 day guarantee though. Other than that, I will use my GB IWB leather...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Betty said:
Colt Cobra in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster, worn with boot-cut jeans or pants.
I used an ankle holster with a Bersa Mod. 23 .22LR before I knew better. The holster (I din't recall the make) was very uncomfortable and prone to sliding around. I'm going to a CZ 75 Compact as a primary, but wouldn't mind a Makarov as a back up gun if I could find a comfortable ankle holster. MY problem is I wear military style boots quite a bit in the Summer. Would Uncle Mike's have something to fit my need's? ANy help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eric Larsen said:
...good luck and let us know what you find works for YOU!
Shoot well.
Thanks for all the info. I combined ideas of P95Carry and ExSoldier762 and will try a right-hand OWB for the G27. I have increased my right-hand shooting activity as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts