Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been carrying a Kahr PM9 in weak hand front pocket + Glock 32 on belt.
I don't think of the 2nd gun as a backup, rather just offering options.
Option to put my hand on it without revealing I'm carrying and/or quickly access gun with weak hand.
Got a Sig 365 hoping it could replace the PM9 and it did, even fits same holster.
Sig 365 sights were well regulated as received, POI wonderfully matches my POA.
Sig 365 is easier to draw from pocket than the Kahr PM9.
Sig 365 is easier to shoot quick & accurate one hand weak hand (my left) than the PM9.

Going with quicker shooting, I decided to carry my Glock 19 rather than 32.
The difference in follow up shot time 19 vs 32 is small, but it is there.
I'd seen someone opinion that a BUG should be same caliber as primary gun in case primary broke remaining ammo could be used for BUG; highly unlikely as that may be, the reasoning isn't bad.
Glock 19 is carried AIWB about 12:30 - quicker draw than if carried strong side IWB, for me.

The combo is easily concealed under my continuously untucked shirt.
"Fishing" shirts are popular here and importantly cooler than a cotton shirt.
I know, shorts are wrinkled, happens when they are worn for hours walking dogs, shooting, errands.

In before someone posts about they don't live in war zone, Mogadishu, "bad area" - ;)
Neither do I. :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
i guess a lot of it depends on your own mission for the BUG.....

some use the BUG for the chicago reload......
some use it in case the primary goes down
some use it as primary of equal footing just carried in a different position.
some demand same caliber for easy logistics
and some use it strictly for weak-hand last ditch shooting.......which is where i am at.

·
Premium Member
38,349 Posts
I pocket carry the same way you, with a Kahr P380. I don't carry a second gun so much now that I don't wear size-larger pants, but still do occasionally.

·
Premium Member
9,558 Posts
I carry a BUG daily. My primary is a 1911 .45ACP.
My BUG is a Smith and Wesson .38 snubbie in an ankle holster nestled inside my boot. Also always carry some sort of a blade.
I practice drawing from both, and have gotten quite proficient at getting to my BUG.
I also do not live in a war zone YET.
To me it is about preparedness and options.

·
Registered
20,981 Posts
I carry two just for the optional draw choice. Pocket or AIWB.
2 j frames are easier for me to carry and conceal, plus allow a lot of flexibility.

·
Premium Member
38,349 Posts
I carry a BUG daily. My primary is a 1911 .45ACP.
My BUG is a Smith and Wesson .38 snubbie in an ankle holster nestled inside my boot. Also always carry some sort of a blade.
I practice drawing from both, and have gotten quite proficient at getting to my BUG.
I also do not live in a war zone YET.
To me it is about preparedness and options.
I'm thinking that looks, well, unusual with the kilt...

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Got a Sig 365 hoping it could replace the PM9 and it did, even fits same holster.
Sig 365 sights were well regulated as received, POI wonderfully matches my POA.
Sig 365 is easier to draw from pocket than the Kahr PM9.
Just curious -- the 365 is larger than the PM9 in both length and height -- easier to draw from the pocket? How? Also, does it print more in your pocket?
<edit> Also, same holster for the 365 in your pocket with a light trigger/no safety instead of the DA trigger on the Kahr -- are ya using a kydex pocket holster?
Not trying to be argumentative at all, CDW4ME, just genuinely interested.

·
Premium Member
9,558 Posts
I'm thinking that looks, well, unusual with the kilt...
Do not always wear a kilt. But when I do I actually have a hidden pocket sewed into it that holds a snubbie quite well and very concealed.
The weight also keeps the kilt from flying up in strong winds so going commando is no problem.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
21,351 Posts
I usually carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm and two spare magazines OWB plus a Sig P938 or Seecamp LWS 380 in my pocket with a spare magazine.

Reactions: ExSoldier

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just curious -- the 365 is larger than the PM9 in both length and height -- easier to draw from the pocket? How? Also, does it print more in your pocket?
<edit> Also, same holster for the 365 in your pocket with a light trigger/no safety instead of the DA trigger on the Kahr -- are ya using a kydex pocket holster?
Not trying to be argumentative at all, CDW4ME, just genuinely interested.
Yea, 365 is a little bigger:
Sig Sauer P365 vs Kahr PM9 size comparison | Handgun Hero

Holster is Desantis Nemesis for Kahr PM9, trigger is completely covered:
THE NEMESIS

It would print a little more, at the mag, but my shirt usually covers top (that) part of pocket.
Larger grip of 365 is easier (quicker) for me to get a grip on.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I carry my primary where most people carry their BUG. I am right handed but carry my gun in my left front pocket.

Up until a couple of years ago I usually always carried two guns. One iwb or owb strong side and the other in my left front pocket. When I decided that I only wanted to carry one, I kept the left front pocket option. I carry it in a Sticky (or sticky type) holster so that if I want, I can float it around in any pocket, any position iwb/aiwb, boot, or wherever.

I said all that to say this. This resulted in me being able to draw and shoot my "BUG" as well as I could my "primary." 😁

·
Premium Member
7,083 Posts
IIRC, I’ve never carried a BUG. There’s been a few times when my primary was ultra concealable. Like I carried an NAA .22LR loaded with tracers in a watch pocket or something similar. I do always carry a knife and a tactical pen. Now adding a cane at times. To me and only for me, what I do is my definition of “layering.” If I ever felt that I really needed to carry two handguns for whatever reason, one would be my Kel Tec PLR16.

Reactions: Arky73

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I had neck surgery last December… spinal cord pressure… Im improving everyday…coordination in hands not up to par , but improving…. I recently purchased a new BUG or secondary carry a
LCP MAX .. still limited range time ,, mostly checking function .. but .. I did run a couple of mags left handed .. mostly checking my own coordination with my weak hand which isn’t that much different than my strong hand at this point…But Im planning to practice more often left handed.. just in case my coordination isn’t fully restored…

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I seriously need to start training weak hand. Went out the other day around 7:30 in the morning but it's monsoon season here, so after 45 minutes we called it quits. It will have to wait until mid September.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: Arky73

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool. Now you can sell me your PM9. That's the pistol I'm in the market for. :D.
:LOL: I'm keeping the PM9 for mowing the yard if nothing else.
I've push mowed the yard in my normal clothes and carry, takes about an hour; when I'm done, sweat is so profuse due to humidity that my belt and even billfold are sweat soaked. In order to save my regular clothes from being so sweaty, I've just put holstered PM9 in pocket of gym shorts with t-shirt for yard mowing. 😐

Reactions: Wavygravy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts