Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try playing with some kydex material. I orderd a kits from http://www.knifekits.com/store/s-pages/kk_store_1mainframe.htm?kk_products_parts_kkkysk-main.htm~smain
this site. Complete kinfe sheath kit.
I decided to try and make a holster first. I cut the sheet in half. Took my 1911 SA and drew an outline on the kydex. I created my holster from 2 pieces of identical sheeting. i next drilled 4 holes , 1 in each of the corners, aprox. where I figured I wanted them to be placed.
Once the sheets were connected I warmed the sheeting and inserted the pistol (unloaded) between the sheets. more heating and using heat resistant gloves, my gas range and pushing w/ my finger , moulded the kydex to the shape of my 1911.
the kydex moulded easily with enough heat. A little trial and error to figure how much heat required. once the shape took, I redrilled fastener holes closer to the gun outline.
Finally I used my dremel withthe cutting wheel and sandpaper drum to finalize the edges and shape. added 2 belt loops (IWB holster) and smoothed remaining sharp edges and rough spots.
I heated the back of the holster once more and shaped it to my hip. Then pinched the top of the holster a bit , for retention.
Some hints for working kydex.
1. don't over do the heat, it can be scorched .
2. you have to hold the kydex in place until it cools.
3. if it doesn't quite form perfect the first time, just heat it again.
4. I found a few punches will set rivets , instead of buying and expensive rivet machine.
http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7594&highlight=homemade+iwb
link to photos. sorry , but my camera isn't all that good.
Anyone wishing to try this , I am willing to help you along or answer any questions you might have. :smile:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Good info Rocky - could well be some other folks might try this.

I am not over enthralled with holster making aspect but for sure, sheath making sounds well useful - a good blade needs good protection and I think Kydex probably has an edge over leather - plus too - the owner needs some good protection also from the blade!!

Thx for the rundown.

·
Registered
552 Posts
rock was wounding would carbon fiber make a good rig have worked with it some speaker boxes welding helmut ect but would require a dummy gun for the mold kdex is cool might try this to intersted in all aspects

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since the first holster, I have made a few more. seems the more I make , the better they turn out. I did not use a dummy gun, just made sure the pistol was unloaded before moulding.
Even worked well for my poly framed HK. It does take some practice, but is fun if you enjoy working w/ your hands and tools. I will see if I can get a few more pics . I made a nice IWB bikini type holster for my HK as the latest creation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Making your own holsters is a fine hobby. With a few tools and a lot of imagination you can get exactly the holster/sheath that you want. Plus there is the pride of having done it yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts