Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought three flavors of 124 grain 9mm ammo to try in my XDsc. Golden sabres-gold dots and the new hornady tap-fpd. And was looking at each round and found that each bullet seemed to have a different length. The remington seemed the longest then the gold dot and the hornady was the shortest. These were all 124 grain. It was just funky to see bullets the same weight and be different lenghts. could be the way each manufacture makes them I guess. has anyone else noticed this in different ammo. Just curious

Sixgun

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I think the main difference is due to the volume of the hollow point cavity - thus if very large there will be a need to slightly extend bullet to still achieve weight.

I did measure several makes some time ago when testing 9mm in R9 - this is a sample showing how OAL can vary. The CCI Blazer BTW has the Gold Dot bullet and is similar OAL to an actual GD. Different bullet weights unfortunately - it was a sample from what I had at the time.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You guys have brought up a good point. The OAL of a loaded round will(or could) make a great difference in the feeding of an auto pistol(AND in a lever rifle). Allot of shooters worry too much about the bullet nose design and not enough about the OAL. The .039"difference mentioned above could be the determineing factor in 'feedability". I know it is in simi-auto and lever rifles.

Some handgun bullets used in auto's are more than .080" different in OAL(as mic'ed by me) Something to think about. --------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts