Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The carjacking thread made me think of this (and no, I haven't "seen too many movies").

Is it extremely difficult and/or expensive to have your vehicle equipped with bulletproof glass? If you had that, then you could just punch the gas pedal to escape a carjacking attempt and not have to worry (as much) about being shot. Granted, the public at large probably wouldn't be all that interested, but defensive-minded people would be.

Any of you have experience with this concept?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I have learned a lot from Box O Truth it is a real good site with down to earth info.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The problem may be added weight. Leads to different suspension, different brakes, sluggish acceleration, and windows that will not roll down. There may be information in the public domain about this. It is hard to know where to stop. Solid tires? Diesel? Ceiling and floor? etc

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have talked to people(usually the neighborhood King Pin type) who have gotten bullet prof doors. Bullet proofing doors alone adds substantial amt of weight to a vehicle. A lot of reinforcing has to be done. There are lots of things that are affected by the added weight of Doors or Windows, etc. This is why you dont find the average person doing it. Especially since most people will eventually trade in the vehicle.

__I say if you are buying a Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach...spring for thr BP Doors & Windows. These cars are keepers. If you are likely to trade the vehicle in later, or the price of the work cost more than the car is worth(or will be worth in a few years) then pass on it.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I can't remember the name off hand but there's a place here in NoVA that does private and contracted government armoring. It's expensive though and that's just the upfront cost. By the time you add up the added weight, stronger parts (springs, shocks, possibly bigger engine to handle pulling the extra weight), etc... You're looking at substantial cost. But if you've got the cash and it's worth it to you, they are out there.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
If/when needing a car with bulletproof glass, one needs to consider moving to a new location, or taking a different route on your travels.:scruntiny:

·
Registered
158 Posts
It depends on what you want to armor with...

Kevlar and textiles similar to kevlar are much lighter than steel... glass you would have to decide what you wanted to protect against... small caliber handgun... large caliber handgun... rifle...

Is it just enough to do the driver's door and window or do you want all windows and doors made bullet resistant?

It's definitely doable and there are companies that will meet your needs but there are inconveniences that come along with the protection...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ive got some land deep in the oregon wilderness if someone is interested...build yourself a nice little shack in the woods...set up trip lines and perimeter alarms...get yourself some nice camo cargo pants and a good tactical vest...

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
there is a tv show called Family Armor. They built Armored vehicles in Texas.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I'm only willing to go so far with this protecting my life stuff. Having a a few guns and lowering my exposure seems to be reasonable. I know of guy here in my town that wears a standard issue police vest. No, he isn't in any occupation that would typically call for it. It just makes him feel safer and looks a few pounds heavier.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
The problem may be added weight. Leads to different suspension, different brakes, sluggish acceleration, and windows that will not roll down. There may be information in the public domain about this. It is hard to know where to stop. Solid tires? Diesel? Ceiling and floor? etc
Another problem is the glass will not allow the windows to roll down so now you have to go into McDonalds instead of using the drive thru. Just exposes you to a different threat.

I read an article back in the 80's about bullet proof cars used overseas. They said part of the trick is to make sure the car does not look like it has been altered. If the BG's know the car of their target (oil exec's and diplomats in this case) was bullet proof, they would just up grade their weaponry to RPG or bazooka.

·
Registered
40,123 Posts
ive got some land deep in the oregon wilderness if someone is interested...build yourself a nice little shack in the woods...set up trip lines and perimeter alarms...get yourself some nice camo cargo pants and a good tactical vest...
Arnold did that in "Commando" and it didn't work. :tumbleweed:

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Not being able to roll down the car windows can create another hazard,PPG can be deadly,PPG can happen with no warning.Passengers Passing Gas can be discovered by snickering following the attack

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I saw a show on History channel were the company profiled offered armoring from 1 to 9. 9 being something like PODUS has.

At about $1,000,000.00 for a Suburban.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Many modern armored windows roll down. If you're interested, you can get a new BWM 7-series, fully armored to stop all but the heaviest caliber machine gun rounds, for around $300k. And those puppies still haul butt. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've seen a couple of specials on this which means I am now an expert in the subject :wink: . All kidding aside though, a single side bullet resistant material rated to stop rifle fire weighs something along the lines of 70Lbs, once you armor up everything it adds up quickly. Maybe you should see if you can rig something up like the "bathtub" in the A-10 that protects the pilot, just get a big titanium tub, get a couple panes of bullet resistant glass and tell everybody else in the car to piss off and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
What's the point? The black helicopters can fly right over them... :tinhat2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts