Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting my first Bunny gun and have the following options (in order of preference) available to me.

note: will be shooting on an orchard at ranges between 30-50meters.

1) Ruger 10/22 Target (bull Barrel), supressor, 4x32 scope

2) Ruger 10/22 Deluxe with shortened 12" barrel, 4x32 scope and supressor and worked trigger

3) Marlin 817 VST .17hmr bolt action, 3-9X40 scope, supressor

4) Remington 597 with 4x32 scope and supressor

Im really leaning towards the 10/22 Target but wonder is this to heavy (8.5 pounds) for a rabbit gun and carting around the orchard ? (im 33 and resonably fit and strong).

The other things I didnt like on the other rifles

- Remington 597 - Heavy trigger, mag quality, looks cheap
- 10/22 Deluxe - is 12" to short for accurate shooting ?
- Marlin 817 VST - .17HMR is twice the price of .22

Advice appreciated, auctions all close in 6 hours, so need to make my choice or possibly miss out on a keeper.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'd think the 10/22 would fit your needs its accurate enough for me but then again i don't shoot all that far with it. haven't shot a rabbit either. If you're concerned with weight why not a mark III pistol? I have shot a rabit with that @ 25-30 yards. The 10/22 is a popular rifle with many many owners I don't think you could go wrong with that choice. I'll agree with your point on the .17 HMR, go with the .22 like you said its cheaper

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're concerned with weight why not a mark III pistol? I have shot a rabit with that @ 25-30 yards.
My G34 can group rabbit sized at 25 no problem, but unfortunatly in New Zealand we cant pistol hunt (illegal) can only shoot at Pistol club. The guy sellling the 10/22 target, said he carried all day with no problem.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I vote the 10/22 bull barrel. Potential for accuracy. Lots more accessories available. And, the best investment if you want to resell it. Heck, you could even to a mod or two and make a little.

·
Registered
473 Posts
#1.

Is the 12" barrel legal on a rifle? Not too up on my rifle knowledge, I think the overall length has to be 27" ?? Actually i think that applies to shotguns. Hell i dont know what im talking about.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the 12" barrel legal on a rifle?
Good point, not sure on that one (im a pistol shooter so this is my first rifle). 310 is pretty short over stock 10/22 barrel, so may steer clear of that gun since its technically molested.

Whoever modified it cut it down so the supressor made it full lenght again.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Why not a simple ordinary 10/22 without the bull barrel and suppressor? If I'm not mistaken don't sound suppressors need additional paperwork or is it a fake suppressor? Why go to the extra expense just for rabbits? Spend the extra money on ammo and enjoy. I can understand the scope if the rabbits are setting still but open sights would be my choice for moving rabbits.

My bad, at first I didn't realize you were in another country. If a suppresor is legal and not require extra paperwork or money why not.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Price for the 10/22T im looking at (secondhand in mint cond) is cheaper than buying a new 10/22 Standard and paying for scope, rings and supressor.

There are some second hand 10/22s for sale but by the time I add scope and supressor its getting close to 10/22T price anyway.

The Marlin 917 VSF is looking like a possibility now as well (same price as 10/22T but a bit lighter), its a nicely made rifle (stainless fluted bull barrel, wood laminate stock), ive read up on the 17HMR and sounds like its the ticket for Bunnies, ammo isnt as expensive as I thought, ($29NZ for 50 rounds, compared to $24 for .22LR) good quality Hornady Varmit Express Vmax polymer tipped.

Wont be as quiet as the .22LR though, might scare off the other bunnies and reduce the kill rate for the evening.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here's my Tactical Wabbit Hunter. Ruger 10/22, Hogue stock, Tactical Solutions light wait bull barrel, Hornet 2.5 lb trigger group, Advanced Armament silencer, Harris bi pod, and 4x16x40 22lr mil dot scope.

So fun to shoot, I love this little guy.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice, id love to build something like that :) basically a mini sniper rifle :).

How much lighter is that bull barrel compared to the factory bull barrel. ???

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks,
These barrels are supper light They are aluminum with a insert.
go here to get more info on them, They are a great Co. with great product and a outstanding reputation. I also have one of there barrels on my Ruger 22/45 MK3 pistol.

LOL the only thing original on my 10/22 is the receiver, But it was a blast to build.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Nice, id love to build something like that :) basically a mini sniper rifle :).

How much lighter is that bull barrel compared to the factory bull barrel. ???
GunBlast opinions on the Pac-Lite barrel: click.

Tactical Solutions barrel info for the Pac-Lite line: click.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Don't you think Bunny would be mad?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got this in the end. Ruger 10/22T, Custom Supressor, BSA 4X32 scope all in mint condition.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I highly recommend a Savage .17HMR, the AccuTrigger is awesome and should knock down 100 yard 0.5"-1" groups from the factory. I can easily pick off empty ammo boxes at 200 yards. The .17HMR is also devastating on small critters.

EDIT:Didn't see you made your decision..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Got this in the end. Ruger 10/22T, Custom Supressor, BSA 4X32 scope all in mint condition.

Very nice !
Did you follow all the NFA laws when purchasing the suppressor?
You must have a tax stamp to own one.

Have fun and post some pics of your Bunny hunting.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I'm pretty sure the OP is in New Zealand, I don't think our NFA rules apply there. They probably have their own though.

Anyway, I think the purchased rifle will be a fine bunny smacker.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah different rules here, strict on pistol and Military style semis but hunting rifles are pretty straight forward

how about this custom 300SMK for bunnies :) New Zealanders love their guns as much as they love their BBQs

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I guess silencers are not much of a hassle in New Zealand?

Thats a nice rifle... maybe a bit much for rabbit. :wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts