Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine that!

Burglars fear residents more than the police Knoxville News Sentinel

Burglars fear residents more than the police
By Staff Reports

Monday, November 16, 2009

Today burglars fear the homeowner much more than the police. They know the police cannot shoot them for crimes against property and cannot chase them if they flee in a vehicle. When was the last time you heard of the Supreme Court handing down a ruling in favor of the victim and their property or more authority for the police to apprehend?

Burglars are familiar with how the criminal justice system works to their benefit from slap-on-wrist judges who hand out probation five or six times to sympathetic jurors who view a burglar’s drug addiction, abusive father or alcoholic mother as a valid excuse. They are also aware of jail overcrowding and budget cuts which lessens punishments for their crime.

Hardly a day goes by that a team of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, behaviorists, criminologists, etc. aren’t doing Q & A surveys in prisons and jails seeking answers to antisocial behavior.

The most profound and undisputed survey I reviewed was asked of convicted burglars by an FBI behaviorist:

1. Would you B&E (break and enter) a home if you thought it occupied?

A. No — 88 percent (the other 12 percent are hard-core burglars).

2. Would you B&E a home if you knew the owner was home and maybe had a gun?

A. No — 95 percent (the other 5 percent are called cat burglars)

3. Would you B&E a home if you knew the owner was home and did, in fact, have a gun?

A. No — 100 percent (I told you they fear the homeowner).

No other survey I studied in my 27 years of law enforcement in Miami Metro Dade County did I see a 100 percent, not even for a Mother’s Day holiday.

Edward F. Davis

Knoxville
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,215 Posts
Send them results to the Brady Bunch ;-)

H/D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Good to hear. But this would bring us back to the oft-discussed top of do you put a "This house protected by Smith & Wesson" sign on your window. Otherwise the criminal won't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,873 Posts
That's the way it's supposed to work. There should've also ask them if they would B/E in the home of a declared Brady Buncher, regardless if they were home or not...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
These are the correct questions ask to the correct people.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
147 Posts
I have considered posting a sign that my home is protected by individuals with firearms (Me, Wife) but I cant get away from wondering if that would actually encourage some criminals because they would want to steal them when we are not home
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,164 Posts
100% fear an armed home owner more than the police.

I certainly HOPE so. That's the whole point of Castle Doctrine and similar laws allowing wide latitude for action during a home invasion.

They are supposed to fear armed home owners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
100% fear an armed home owner more than the police.

I certainly HOPE so. That's the whole point of Castle Doctrine and similar laws allowing wide latitude for action during a home invasion.

They are supposed to fear armed home owners.
Stated better, I could not.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
50,597 Posts
An armed society is a polite society.:hand10:
Dirtbags ought to fear normal citizens.:yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,177 Posts
you break in my house you better be wearing depends,I can deal with a little blood but you soil my carpet and I'm not gonna be happy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,164 Posts
Dying is messy

you break in my house you better be wearing depends,I can deal with a little blood but you soil my carpet and I'm not gonna be happy
I'm afraid you'll get more than a little blood and probably other stuff oozing out of the BG.

Get rid of the carpet and put down vinyl, or use ceramic flooring with a good grout and stone sealer. It cleans up better. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
...But this would bring us back to the oft-discussed top of do you put a "This house protected by Smith & Wesson" sign on your window. Otherwise the criminal won't know.
If the BGs (and I don't mean the disco group :danceban:) would actually become productive members of society, none of this would be necessary. Not that I'm the first person to ever have this occur to him/her, either. That said, a sign either like the one mentioned above :hand10:eek:r one that says "We don't call 911" :hand10:(while certainly novel and worth lots of "cool points") would probably only serve as an "invitation" to those members of society who feel an obligation to see if what the sign says is true. :twak:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,157 Posts
How about a sign just inside the entrance;

If you are in this house uninvited, you are officially notified that the occupants of this house are in fear of their life, and by (insert state castle doctrine law here) you have forfeited your life to any means we see fit. Prepare yourself, and please go stand on the plastic sheeting to your right.

Si usted está en esta casa no convidada, le notifican oficialmente que los inquilinos de esta casa están en miedo de su vida, y por (insert state castle doctrine law here) usted han perdido su vida a cualquier medio que veamos ajuste. Prepárese, y vaya por favor soporte en cubrir plástico a la su derecha​
Even better would be an audio recording tripped my motion sensors hooked into the alarm system.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
17,310 Posts
How about a sign just inside the entrance;



Even better would be an audio recording tripped my motion sensors hooked into the alarm system.
Great sign, here is another.
 

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top