Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*not sure if this should be here or in OT topics*

Have you ever gotten "burned out" on the whole gun scene? I mean, I'm not getting the same "ohhh or Aww" that I used to when looking at other people's pieces or the new and improved in the magazines/gun stores.

I'm finding myself not even getting involved in the discussion forums or wanting to put in my .02 when I have it to put in.

I just noticed this smilie in the box to the right of me.... :9: .... seems to express what I am feeling.

Wayne

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I kinda get that symptom.... especially when I'm working the area near the AR 15s and Ar 10s........It's mainly due to the younger crowd, who wish they could have one, but can't, due to their State Laws, and they want to handle everything in the rack.

Possum????? :wink: hehehehehe:danceban:

·
Super Moderator
23,987 Posts
Burn out on anything can happen. Just relax, recognize that the feelings are not the result of something wrong with you, and let it pass. When you find joy in it again, you'll know.

·
Administrator
143,828 Posts
Temporary Gun Burn Out...that's probably normal.
Soon...some new product will hit the shelves that will get that spark kindled again. :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Not that surprising Wayne.

After my 30 some years activity with guns and shooting - and before that just interest - I do blow hot and cold to degrees. Much can depend on what else is going on - which in my case could be in summer, biking or flying RC airplanes - when I am enjoying those guns etc take a bigger back seat.

I do not lose the actual interest tho - just the enthusiasm to be participating to my usual degree. So - nothing you should worry about really - the ''novelty factor'' most feel in earlier years does wear off a bit - and perhaps I could admit sometimes that I think it's ''just guns'' - but underneath the passion never really goes.

So much in life is cyclical - chances are you'll get a resurgeance down the road a piece.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
You might just be bored from doing the same old thing all the time...shake things up a little and try target practicing in new, more challenging ways.

Or sign up for some different training, or try competitive shooting at a local John C. Garand match for fun, or pick up hot chicks and take them shooting....wait, ya might want to scratch that last one off the list if you are married....or try IPSC, or anything that is challenging or unusual.:hand10:

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
No, but I divide my time between many hobbies too. hiking, camping, geocaching, kayaking and several other diffrent pursuits.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
There's always something new. I want to go shoot steel and bowling pins, just can't find a venue.

I'm working on learning to reload.

Or read up on your history... or learn more about the technical aspects of the guns you like...

·
Registered
737 Posts
I started out with knives and while I'm still a knifenut, now that I can buy guns they're getting most of my attention nowadays. :smile: The sharp and pointy interest is still there, it's just not as intense as it once was. I'm sure the pendulum will swing the other way again at some point.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Thats how I came to own the Ruger SP101 and GP100 in Cali in early 2005, stating that they were my last handgun purchases. Since I moved to Georgia...I bought a Colt Mustang, Para-ordnance 12.45 LDA, Rossi .22 mag pump rifle, and next.....LOL....I love it !

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Burned out? Nah....my children, work and other hobbies add variety to the mix of my life.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wayne said:
*not sure if this should be here or in OT topics*

Have you ever gotten "burned out" on the whole gun scene? I mean, I'm not getting the same "ohhh or Aww" that I used to when looking at other people's pieces or the new and improved in the magazines/gun stores.

I'm finding myself not even getting involved in the discussion forums or wanting to put in my .02 when I have it to put in.

I just noticed this smilie in the box to the right of me.... :9: .... seems to express what I am feeling.

Wayne
Actually ive been burnt out for a while. But I still think of em pretty often.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RR prob. has it right:

I'm sure the pendulum will swing the other way again at some point
It's just the swing of the pendulum moving me to put down this hobby for abit and go to another (like reading).

I guess it was seeming like it was becoming actual work or somelike like work so it was becoming less fun.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A little different perspective: maybe it is a good thing that you are no longer enfatuated. That suggests that you may be wiser than you once were, knowing yourself and your subject a little better, now, more critical of what you read and hear, more circumspect about what you want to say. These are not bad things.

I haven't burned out on guns, but I've pared down the forums I visit, and I stopped looking at the gun rags a long time ago. Our approaches to the subject seem different, though. I haven't approached guns as a hobby. Do I enjoy shooting and taking care of my guns? Sure, but for me it is more like practicing with and taking care of important tools for living; so, it doesn't carry the same expectations of entertainment and interest that a hobby would, and there is less opportunity for burnout.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Tom357 said:
Do I enjoy shooting and taking care of my guns? Sure, but for me it is more like practicing with and taking care of important tools for living; so, it doesn't carry the same expectations of entertainment and interest that a hobby would, and there is less opportunity for burnout.
Ditto. I used to burn up 500-1000 rounds at the range, pistol/rifle/semi-12 gauge, every other weekend, just for the "blast". Too dern much like work, anymore. The flip side of the coin is that I know my gear very well, what I can expect of it, and what it needs to perform optimally.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've burned out on many things over the years so I know the feelings you are facing. Some have gone by the wayside never to return and some have come back and made me smile again.

As far as the whole "gun thing", I trully feel I will never get burned out on it. It's become a part of my life and a very important one. To let it burn out for me would be a shame. To that point, I shall never let that happen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts