Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I picked up a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot for my Remington 870. It's a great little red dot except for using slugs at 50 yards. It will group 3/5 slugs into an acceptable group; the other 2 make it a 12" group.

I'm in the process of switching my ammo to a full power load(1600 fps instead of 1400 fps). In the meantime, I'm looking into the quality of the optic, given its relatively low price. So to get to my question, has anybody found the Bushnell TRS-25 to be unsuitable for use on shotguns firing slugs?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Sorry, I only had one on my AR, it worked well. But a far cry from a 12 gauge.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Uhhh, how do you know the TRS-25 is the culprit? Sounds mighty "inconsistent" for the last 2 slugs of a 5 shot group being "consistently" errant. How does your sight KNOW? Can it count? How well does your 870 group slugs at 25 yards with no optic? Any flyers? :blink:

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Bushnell advertises it as being usable for shotguns, so I would think it should be able to withstand the recoil.

The 3 MOA dot shouldn't make groups that big at 50 yards.

·
Super Moderator
19,379 Posts
If you're shooting a conventional shotgun with a quick-change barrel (and not a dedicated slug gun with a solid frame), the flyers after a couple of shots are likely due to the barrel-receiver fit changing after a few shots heat things up. If you let the gun cool down for 20 minutes or so, can you get a good group again? Recall that a lot of slug barrels for popular shotguns (e.g., the 870) have cantilever scope mounts so your optic remains on the barrel, no matter what happens to the barrel-receiver fit. Is your TRS-25 mounted on the receiver?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I tried Winchester Super X 1oz slugs and got 4 out of 5 shots to group within 4 inches at 50 yards. The 5th shot made it a 6 inch group, but that was most likely my error. I tried again with Winchester Rackmaster slugs but got a 12 inch spread at the same distance. It might have been me, it might have been the load. It appears the problem was not the optic, but the ammo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts