Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Friday my wife gave birth to my second beautiful daughter. I went to bring them home today and while I was getting the car seat out the valet kid noticed my weapon. Well I went in and talked to the billing and made my way up to my wifes room, all this time I had my 3 year old daughter with me. Shortly after I arrived in the room the floor superviser politely aske me if she could talk to me. We stepped outside the room and she asked if I was a cop. I said no and she then asked if I had a weapon on me. I said yes and that I can legally carry one. She then said we dont allow weapons on the grounds. I politely said I did not see any signs posted, which seemed to shock her. So then after a small talk her head of security decided I could secure it in my vehicle. So I did and all was well. My wife works at the hospital and now I will be forced to leave my weapon in my car anytime I come to visit, once again leaving a law abidding citizen unarmed to any non law abbiding citizen who decides to be a coward and attack forced unarmed innocent people. Just thought Id share what happened to day.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
So last Friday my wife gave birth to my second beautiful daughter. I went to bring them home today and while I was getting the car seat out the valet kid noticed my weapon. Well I went in and talked to the billing and made my way up to my wifes room, all this time I had my 3 year old daughter with me. Shortly after I arrived in the room the floor superviser politely aske me if she could talk to me. We stepped outside the room and she asked if I was a cop. I said no and she then asked if I had a weapon on me. I said yes and that I can legally carry one. She then said we dont allow weapons on the grounds. I politely said I did not see any signs posted, which seemed to shock her. So then after a small talk her head of security decided I could secure it in my vehicle. So I did and all was well. My wife works at the hospital and now I will be forced to leave my weapon in my car anytime I come to visit, once again leaving a law abidding citizen unarmed to any non law abbiding citizen who decides to be a coward and attack forced unarmed innocent people. Just thought Id share what happened to day.
I believe they are required to post a sign that is clearly visible in order to actually "prohibit" someone from carrying inside the building. Unless by law it's on the "do not bring" list.

I'm not 100% and it may vary by state.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Just curious -- did they actually have signs? If so, I guess the security guy handled it fairly. Of course, I do agree with your overall opinion.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
jnrguns:

Congratulations on the new baby, the both of you! Very cool. Healthy and whole, I'm assuming. Enjoy.

Condolences, that you were outed. It is what it is. "Right" to carry stops when it butts up against the rights of the property owner.

I believe they are required to post a sign that is clearly visible in order to actually "prohibit" someone from carrying inside the building. Unless by law it's on the "do not bring" list.
If it's a privately-owned business/facility, the mere fact they ask a person to leave should be sufficient in order to prohibit someone from being present with a firearm. Signs or not.

Of course, when the legal system gets involved might be at a different point, but the point a person must either accede to a demand to leave or ignore such a demand starts with the demand being made. In many states, refusal to leave constitutes criminal trespass.

You're correct, though, in suggesting nobody has the right to force disarming of a person. But the property owners have a right to control presence.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Buy a 380 KelTec. Never been busted. I have a CWP. A cop freind of mine did a quick patdown on me and missed it in my back pocket.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
If it's a privately-owned business/facility, the mere fact they ask a person to leave should be sufficient in order to prohibit someone from being present with a firearm. Signs or not.
That's NOT what I was referring to. He was told they don't allow guns on the property. There is no sign to tell people this.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I agree it is too bad. However, this is another example of the need to conceal the weapon. I am afraid that many are a little careless about it, and the results might be painful.

Would a longer shirt tail have covered it adequately?

Congratulations on the new baby.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Most of the hospitals I've seen in Iowa (and I've seen almost 20-30+) have the gun buster sign somewhere on the door, it's not exactly a bill board but it's there.
That's what I was wondering, I'll have to check here next time I'm at the hospital (hopefully won't be soon).

I do believe that if a place were to make it a policy they should have a sign to let people know prior to entering. That way, we could avoid these incidents. Agree with their wishes or no.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My wife works in a hospital and it's the same way. Right on every door is a big picture of a gun with a circle and a line through it. She told me they have asked an off duty cop not to carry there before. Of course he was OC'ing at the time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The sign doesn't mean anything in Florida unless it's a mental health hospital...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't personally agree with "gun free" zones for law abiding permit holders. I think its asinine at best,if your permuted to carry then you should be able to carry just about anywhere in my opinion. I can understand no guns in a police station or jail or a court house,but I gotta say I don't agree with the no guns on school grounds by permit holders. I have to wonder how the VT shooting would have went down if students were allowed to carry. Obviously the VT shooter didn't care about the gun free zone thing. congrats on the new baby.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
That's NOT what I was referring to. He was told they don't allow guns on the property. There is no sign to tell people this.
That's fine. I was simply noting that being notified starts with the notification, signs or not, and that one either leaves at time of notification of risks criminal trespass. State laws depending, of course.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Because of your wife's employment there I understand why you'd go along with the gun ban... jobs are golden these days! :wink:

Plus, just like ccw9mm said, now you've been officially notified!

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
CCW9mm that's what it is in Va. As long as you leave when requested all is ok. Interesting aside here. Two years ago my Dad's attic stairs collapsed while I was on the top step keeping a 70 year old guy from going up there. Long story short, fell and was badly lacerated on the right armpit, 35 stitches. Went to the hospital and laying on the bed in the ER I ask my Dr to be careful in that I had a firearm in a holster on my right hip. They were using H2O to irrigate the wound. I just hate a rusty gun. The Dr was very cool with the situation. He placed a small towel over me in the area of my gun and said not to worry about it.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Congratulations to you and the Mrs.

Sorry to hear about your gun issue.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Smartcarry. Not that I'm suggesting you break any laws. But discretion is sometimes called for...

Too many gangbanger gun battles have been settled in the ER for one to not be armed in the hospital, IMHO.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Congrats on the baby! We had our 5th 4 weeks ago, during the stay I carried my P32 in a pocket holster for discretion. Didn't know what positions I'd be in so I left the 9mm and 45 EDC's at home and slipped the 32 in pocket with back up mag and could at least keep my wife and new package safe. I did however feel a bit naked without my EDC on my hip! Congrats again they grow up fast enjoy em!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Sometimes we "shoot ourself in the foot" by asking about "the sign". If there was not a sign, you know there will be one now. If you would have said, sorry, I will go lock it in the car, left in a haste to do that, she would not have thought about the sign, but now if there was not a sign, you can bet one will be posted.

Congrads on the new born.

Z

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife and newborn are doing great. The way the employee handled it was great, she wasnt rude or anything very polite. Im sure there wasnt any sign, I am also sure there will be signs in the near future. My biggest complaint is Ive had my one "get out of jail free card". Now if I go to meet my wife for lunch and dont leave it in the car Im possibly in more trouble. The only reason I was busted was it was cold today so I thought Id carry my g19, and when I reached in to grab the car seat my hoodie came up enough for him to see it. Had I worn my LCP like I do 90% of the time no way he would have seen it. Also, I chose vallet parking...I never do that. Thanks for the congrats from everyone, never loved life as much till I had kids.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts