Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article entertaining: NYPD vets upset that rookies get better guns

The article is mostly about the fact that the NYPD is rolling out the Glock 17 as an additional option to new recruits (in addition to the G19 and Sig P226). But, towards the end of the article it mentions how the NYPD asked to have the G17s modified to accept G19 mags so they would be interchangeable, but would hold only 15 rounds as opposed to 17. To be honest, it would make sense if they stock an inventory of magazines and/or routinely swap magazines around. So, they want the taxpayers to buy them new toys to replace perfectly acceptable equipment.

But, then again, I think all law enforcement personnel should adhere to the same restrictions as civilians - that would mean 7 rounds for the NYPD!. Any threats of active shooters (with rare exceptions) start with civilians.

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
Surprisingly for the NYPD it almost makes sense they can CHOP the g17 and use g19 mags and still save money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I've said before I thought LE should, among other things, be restricted to a 5-6 shot revolver. Why? It makes them seek other options than a firing solution. Call for backup, wait for a better time to apprehend a suspect, not to turn a misdemeanor into a felony and handing out the death penalty for something like jay-walking or shoplifting.

It's not the CC-ers who are spraying bullets and getting into the news it's LE.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I've said before I thought LE should, among other things, be restricted to a 5-6 shot revolver. Why? It makes them seek other options than a firing solution. Call for backup, wait for a better time to apprehend a suspect, not to turn a misdemeanor into a felony and handing out the death penalty for something like jay-walking or shoplifting.

I must politely disagree with you as will anyone who has carried the badge and gone in harms way. I personally know a FL State Trooper that got into a shootout with some Mexican mafia members who were armed with AK-47's and he had his issued Beretta .40. Thankfully he survived the ensuing gun battle. Had he had a 5 or 6 shot revolver I probably would have been attending his funeral. I'll bet that the Dallas PD officers were grateful this past summer that that they weren't restricted to revolvers.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I must politely disagree with you as will anyone who has carried the badge and gone in harms way. I personally know a FL State Trooper that got into a shootout with some Mexican mafia members who were armed with AK-47's and he had his issued Beretta .40. Thankfully he survived the ensuing gun battle. Had he had a 5 or 6 shot revolver I probably would have been attending his funeral. I'll bet that the Dallas PD officers were grateful this past summer that that they weren't restricted to revolvers.
It is easy to be critical of cops from the safety of the internet. Not so much when you have to actually perform their duties in the real world.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm with 5lima30ret. If I'm paying a man to fight my battles I want him overarmed. There are places I wouldn't go with a squad of marines that the police go in single cruisers.
I get the whole Law Enforcement Officer vs Peace Officer debate. I actually come down on the Peace Officer side of the argument, but as long as we are forcing cops to be Law Enforcement I think they should be armed for the job given them.

·
Banned
894 Posts

NYPD publishes a complete report of their gun involved incidents on line. They are shooting less and less every year and killing fewer and fewer people every year. Apparently, they only shoot at people about to shoot them or who are actively and dangerously resisting, and every event is researched, recorded, and published.

NYPD Reports

You read about incidents that get lots of coverage that actually misrepresent the facts. Same as with most incidents involving guns.

In 2015, they had 67 incidents, a 50% decrease in 10 years. 35000 cops and 67 incidents from people paid to deal with the underside of the rock is not bad at all. Note that 15 of the incidents were due to dog attacks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Capacity bans are ridiculous.
Limit capacity to ten rounds instead of fifteen, and you can carry two spare magazines instead of one. If anything, it statistically improves your odds of success as you now have two good mags if one should fail for any reason. Lower capacity = more firepower, if you will.

As for "thinking twice" about firing upon someone based on ammo capacity, I personally feel it's a nonsensical idea.
Pulling that trigger is based on things much deeper than whether you have enough ammo to finish the firefight.

And if you think it's the LEO who turns jaywalking or shoplifting into a firefight, then you might want to re-think that.
Yes, there may be bad cops out there, but that can also be said of Doctors. Lawyers, Priests, and the general public. The overwhelming reality is that it's the non-LEO who causes a routine interaction with the police to turn bad, not the other way around.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
It is easy to be critical of cops from the safety of the internet. Not so much when you have to actually perform their duties in the real world.
Amen!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I agree that if I were a cop I would not want just a 6 round revolver. I would want as mush fire power as I could get. You go to other counties and there local policy are carrying machine guns. Why limit someone protecting us?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts

Suggesting police officers should only be permitted to carry a revolver with 5-6 rounds is ridiculous. To play devil's advocate, why not restrict citizens to such requirements as well?

·
Registered
14,140 Posts

With that in mind we should not allow liberals on the internet.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I found this article entertaining: NYPD vets upset that rookies get better guns

The article is mostly about the fact that the NYPD is rolling out the Glock 17 as an additional option to new recruits (in addition to the G19 and Sig P226). But, towards the end of the article it mentions how the NYPD asked to have the G17s modified to accept G19 mags so they would be interchangeable, but would hold only 15 rounds as opposed to 17. To be honest, it would make sense if they stock an inventory of magazines and/or routinely swap magazines around. So, they want the taxpayers to buy them new toys to replace perfectly acceptable equipment.

But, then again, I think all law enforcement personnel should adhere to the same restrictions as civilians - that would mean 7 rounds for the NYPD!. Any threats of active shooters (with rare exceptions) start with civilians.
Couldn't agree more. And if I were to live in a city where the carrying of handguns by civilians was prohibited, I would also want the police to go unarmed. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Personally I want far more guns in the hands of private citizens than either the policing agencies or the military.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I'd rather see increased training opportunities, but heck, if having a different flavor of pistol improves morale it's probably a good thing to pursue. There are much bigger issues to spend brain cells on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I wonder how many new recruits chose the P226? That would have been my choice - as a matter of fact it was my first choice for a full sized auto over well, over anything else including any 1911s. :wink:

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I would never support subjecting law enforcement to the same absurd idiotic liberal laws that states like NY, CA, CO, NJ have enacted. It's not their fault the politicians in those states are bozos.
I must take exception to that, in California the mag capacity limit bill was dead until LE (through their union) got an exemption. This formula has served them well as every gun restriction placed on the citizenry has been LEO exempted because the politicians are bought and paid for by the public workers unions. I do belive they should have superior firepower when needed, but the average Joe should also have decent options.

Google the California Safe Handgun Roster (LEO exempt).

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
I would never support subjecting law enforcement to the same absurd idiotic liberal laws that states like NY, CA, CO, NJ have enacted. It's not their fault the politicians in those states are bozos.
I am a strong proponent of allowing LE to carry anything they want as long as the can show proficiency.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.