Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how this works across state lines... I plan on buying an M1 Garand at some point and I looked at CMP. Luckily for me there is a CMP storefront in Ohio only 5 hours from me. I'd be willing to drive instead of waiting 180 days to buy one. Assuming I fill out and do everything correctly can I go there and pick it up same day then bring it home? Are there any restrictions regarding this? I know normally you'd have to get guns transferred to a home state FFL. I dont understand how CMP does this. I've looked thru the website and I'm still lost.

A second question is how would a FTF transfer work if say I went to a gun show in another state and bought an M1? Would I still have to go thru an FFL? If I were to go to a gunshow it would most likely be in Maryland, West Virgina, Delaware or Virginia. How do FTF transfers work in these states if I'm from another state?

I'm just looking at cheaper options here to obtain an M1. I usually buy my guns thru and FFL, but due to it being an M1 I'm gonna be paying a few hundred more at an FFL then privately.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
The CMP is a special case, and they can (and do) ship your gun directly to you.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
I believe you can, and I know people who have bought from the CMP South store from here in Florida. You can call the Ohio store to confirm. The CMP is a special case and they don't have the same rules as a "normal" FFL.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
17,312 Posts
Back in December I made a trip to Texas from North Carolina, enroute I stopped off at the Anniston, Al CMP store and picked up three Garands an M-1 Carbine and 1000 rounds of 30/06 ammo, no problem what so ever. I had already filled out the paperwork, went inside they checked over the paperwork, got approval on my credit card then picked out the rifles I wanted and finished the paperwork and was on my way. The paperwork was less hassle than a regular FFL purchase.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
It would depend on state laws in PA and OH as to whether they allow it. Some states allow purchase of long guns to residents of adjoining states, some don't. Rifles fall under a different set of rules than handguns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts