Defensive Carry banner

For your very first SHTF gun - would you buy AK or AR15?

• AK style

Votes: 77 32.8%
  • AR15 style

Votes: 158 67.2%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming this is your very first military-style SHTF gun - would you buy an AK or AR15?

Myself and two other guys at local gun club are trying to make this decision now. I realize it's been debated to death. We are researching articles, posts, videos, etc. I was just curious to see what percentage here would buy which gun.................

-

·
Registered
368 Posts
I voted AR-15, its a great platform

For a SHTF rifle though, have you considered something like the Armalite AR-10... its an AR-15 chambered in 7.62; Best of both worlds

edit - I've owned a 2 AR's and 1 Yugo AK... both are great guns but I could reach out twice the distance w/ the AR's

·
Registered
635 Posts
I guess it depends on how bad the SHTF is. I love my AR and AK but like a Glock, an AK just keeps going and going. The AR's as stated win for distance but they have more moving parts and require more lubrication. It is a loaded question. :)

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Of the two you listed*, AR-15.

Reasons--accuracy, accuracy, accuracy. I've owned a couple AK's (Maadi ARM and Norinco 56s), and neither one will break 4" at 100 yards; my worst AR will go well under half that, and my best will break 3/4 inch--both with irons.

Add in how much the AR is completely customizable to what you want, ammo (here in the US--I couldn't care less what they're shooting in darkest Dirkadirkastan) would be more common in SHTF, ease of adding optics to an AR, MUCH better ergo's in the AR...it's the better platform.

As far as reliability, if this was a true M4/M16 vs AK47 debate, there'd be valid points...however, since we're only talking about semi-autos, not so much.

*(My true choice for a SHTF rifle would be a HK91. I'll take the .308, I'll take it's roller-locked reliability, and I'll take it's accuracy.)

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I guess it depends on how bad the SHTF is. I love my AR and AK but like a Glock, an AK just keeps going and going. The AR's as stated win for distance but they have more moving parts and require more lubrication. It is a loaded question. :)
I seldom find replies that express my sentiments on the subject at hand. This one just fits, and I don't feel the need to add anything to it. Put me down in the minority side of the list for the AK as well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
With the price hike AKs have taken, an AR isn't any more expensive any more. The days of $325 Romanians are gone I'm afraid. I'd go AR.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

This.

It's a question of durability versus accuracy. The AK is known for it's durability, whereas the AR is known for it's accuracy. Which is more important to you and your friends?

Personally, I prefer the AK for TEOTWAWKI scenario.

Oh, and I'm making popcorn if anyone wants some. :popcorn:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
With the price hike AKs have taken, an AR isn't any more expensive any more. The days of $325 Romanians are gone I'm afraid. I'd go AR.
hmmm, these were in stock last week, show out today
AIM Romanian GP-WASR 10/63 7.62x39 Rifle Romanian GP-WASR 10/63 7.62x39 Rifle

I can drive 2 blocks to a store and pick up a new AK for $575, but they are a little higher priced than some other folks in town, I just happen to know they have them on the shelf right now

I voted AK since thats what I did
in SHTF I won't be shooting at 500yards will be much closer, I like the AK's reliability and power to punch through cover for a SHTF situation
that being said.....I have both and lots to feed 'em both

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I think I went with a happy (if more expensive) middle ground and got an AR with a piston gas system. AR accuracy with much improved reliability. And I'm assuming that in TEOTWAWKI 5.56/.223 will be easier to scrounge. I'm saving up for what I hope will be an even better compromise, an AR-10 with a piston system.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you wanna dress it up, AR. If you are a purist and want a straight rifle, AK. Taking it a step further, not just any will do. In AR's you need a top tier gun such as Colt, Noveske, BCM, LMT. In an AK you need a good quality gun like Yugo, Arsenal, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Best first black rifle: AK-47. It's inexpensive, the ammo is cheaper, it is not picky about cleaning, it is near indestructible, and it packs a lot of punch on the receiving end.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I voted for the AK platform. That's the way I went. My first battle rifle was a Yugo AK. It's a great gun. Very few moving parts, runs no matter how dirty it might be. It's like a tank, it just keeps going. The AK platform was designed to be used in horrible conditions, like dirty, muddy sandy conditions, by personnel who are not well trained in weapons maintenance, and to still function. I have no doubt that I could dump my AK in the mud and then pick it up and blow through a full magazine without a hitch.

I now have an AR as well, and while I love this gun and am going to thoroughly enjoy tricking this AR out a bit, it is still a MUCH more complicated rifle to maintain and keep running.

For your first, I would highly recommend an AK.

Ya know, I watched this very same video a few days ago. I found it hard to believe. Is the average AK actually this inaccurate?

-
Mine isn't. Mine is a darn sight more accurate than that.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The really sad thing is, I went a few years having this debate myself. I finally went with a third option. There is this polar mindset of AR or AK, while there are other options. For someone like me, out past 100 yards for TEOTWAWKI I know I can't hit the target without some really fancy optics and I dont like optics. So I went with something that within 100 yards has the best ammo variblity, and power, as well as durability. Also do to my planning there are several other people with 100+yard accurate weapons, some out to a range of 800yards, that my weapons engagement range with limited to 100 yards. So I went with the oddball of a 12ga shotgun. So perhaps instead of going AK or AR go back to basics and realize what role your SHTF weapon is designed to fill, and what you might need it to fill.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Assuming this is your very first military-style SHTF gun - would you buy an AK or AR15?

Myself and two other guys at local gun club are trying to make this decision now. I realize it's been debated to death. We are researching articles, posts, videos, etc. I was just curious to see what percentage here would buy which gun.................

-
Your choice based on YOUR values.

I value reliability, accuracy, commonality of ammunition, parts, magazines, and quick to get back in the fight.

The ar fills that roll for me. The biggest requirement is to run the bolt carrier group wet, not dry, and it runs like a champ.

If you prefer looser tolerances, slightly less accuracy, more punch closer in, and being slower on mag changes then the AK is your platform.

I'd really recommend renting both at the same time and trying them out :danceban:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Really should depend more on your definition of SHTF.

If SHTF means:
1)out in the woods away from civilization
2)no practical maintenance
3)you supply all the ammo
By all means get an AK as it performs better (than the AR) without maintenance

If it means:
1)an urban environment
2)engagements <200 yards
3)ammo resupply not a concern
either will do

If it means:
1)engagements >200 yards
2)penetration not a major concern
Go for the AR

If it means:
1)limited ammunition you can carry
2)extended duration of the event
3)functioning around other people
I'd get an AR due to ammo and parts availability in the U.S.

Personally, I have both, but my designated bug out rifle is the M-1 carbine (5 1/2 lbs FTW!).

1 - 20 of 79 Posts