Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips? Best place to meet, what to look for etc. it's a Glock btw, an online private sale

I've never bought a used gun before

·
Super Moderator
19,374 Posts
I'd bring a friend who's knowledgeable about guns in general and Glocks in particular. As far as where to meet, I'd suggest in broad daylight where there are lots of people around!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Meet in a public place. I met at a Walmart before and once outside a movie theater. Do it during the day.

Ask if you can dry fire it and ask if you can field strip it. Look at the barrel and make sure it lines up with the round count they told you. If he said it's only had 100 rounds but has a lot of wear on the barrel then be weary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Take a flashlight, field strip it, and look it over. Check the barrel, look for anything out of place. Dirty shouldn't be an issue, but may be a bargaining chip. Check the trigger pull, break, and reset. Other than that it's all cosmetic.

Always meet at a well lit public place. I prefer places with a lot of traffic and likely a lot of cameras.

90% of the time used guns are good to go, especially major name makers like Glock. And if there is a problem, they're cheap to fix usually.

·
Super Moderator
16,771 Posts
Being it is a firearms trade I second meeting in a public place with backup and having someone along familiar with Glocks is another plus.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Gasmitty nailed it! I would also add that a Police Dept or Sheriff's Office parking lot would be a safe place for a meet. A lot of LEO agencies now have places like this for C/L meets etc. which I think is a great community outreach for the agency! Just my.03 worth!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I once bought a Beretta used from a licensed dealer that is now, shockingly, out of business. Did everything above board, went through all necessary steps. Took it home, safely stored it, and went out of town for a week. Came back, and my answering machine (I'm dating myself here lol) was full of messages from the dealer and the sheriff's office stating that the weapon had not been properly vetted by the dealer, and placed on the shelf for sale before anyone realized that it was a STOLEN FIREARM. Naturally I took it back to the dealer immediately upon hearing this, disassembled. They tried to offer me another weapon, but there was no way I was going to accept another firearm from those hacks. Demanded my money back and walked out, as they handed the weapon back to the authorities. Point being, I'd probably want to see some paperwork if I were buying used from a private party. I'm sure my experience is very rare, but just saying that it CAN happen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I once bought a Beretta used from a licensed dealer that is now, shockingly, out of business. Did everything above board, went through all necessary steps. Took it home, safely stored it, and went out of town for a week. Came back, and my answering machine (I'm dating myself here lol) was full of messages from the dealer and the sheriff's office stating that the weapon had not been properly vetted by the dealer, and placed on the shelf for sale before anyone realized that it was a STOLEN FIREARM. Naturally I took it back to the dealer immediately upon hearing this, disassembled. They tried to offer me another weapon, but there was no way I was going to accept another firearm from those hacks. Demanded my money back and walked out, as they handed the weapon back to the authorities. Point being, I'd probably want to see some paperwork if I were buying used from a private party. I'm sure my experience is very rare, but just saying that it CAN happen.
Good point, I was looking at two examples of the same model. One had no box no nothing just the gun and magazines. The other had box, receipt, all the case candy, the second one cost a little more but i just didn't feel right about the first one

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Function test the trigger...
"Remove the magazine from the gun - pull the trigger and keep the trigger depressed to its rearward position - while keeping the trigger depressed to its rearward position, rack the slide - when the slide returns in to battery, let the trigger out slowly, and listen for the audible CLICK. That click means that the trigger reset is not only working, but, it will show you at what position the trigger breaks / resets.

Ask for a bill of sale with the sellers I.D. info.

Don't be afraid to negotiate.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Good point, I was looking at two examples of the same model. One had no box no nothing just the gun and magazines. The other had box, receipt, all the case candy, the second one cost a little more but i just didn't feel right about the first one
Exactly. This happened to me from a licensed dealer. I would never, EVER trust a private CL seller's word that everything was above board. I would ask to see a bill of sale, receipt, or something proving that the weapon was purchased legally and is being sold legally. I almost went to jail for possession of a stolen firearm through absolutely no fault of my own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The local forum I'm on is pretty cool, as we have meet-eat-and greet get togethers, so we get to know folks, and eventually sales, trades, and such. so its good to get to know folks before doing such things. However public places, daylight, and backup are all given when it comes to firearm deals. I'm always packing, and take my son or a friend who is also packing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The local forum I'm on is pretty cool, as we have meet-eat-and greet get togethers, so we get to know folks, and eventually sales, trades, and such. so its good to get to know folks before doing such things. However public places, daylight, and backup are all given when it comes to firearm deals. I'm always packing, and take my son or a friend who is also packing.
I second this.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Many people, myself included, would want no part of a bill of sale in a private firearms transaction. They give you zero legal liability and aren't a legal document.

Also if some dude wanted a copy of my id and personal info, there's no way I'm giving it to him. He could be harmless but why would you give your address to a complete stranger.

Why even go the private sale route if you're willing to give up all your personal info.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I sold my Glock G42 to a nice young lady. My wife and I met her and boyfriend for lunch at a Luby's Cafeteria( very crowded at lunch).
After lunch we went in parking lot and discreetly made the exchange ( we showed each other our TX CHLs ) and that was it

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Good advice has been provided. I would also do a little online research on the person selling the gun to see if they seem legit and whether any negative info pops up. I always do this when I'm planning to meet a prospective buyer.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
A private sale in Texas? Metro area or in the boonies? Hand write a receipt with serial number. Take a cell photo photo of eachother's Texas Drivers License. Exchange money for goods. Shake hands. Shove (your) pre-loaded mag in your new handgun, cycle one up the pipe. Holster it & drive away. :image035:

BTW - I've never SEEN a "worn-out" GLOCK. Yet I have seen $20 worth of OEM parts make an old one into...a NEW one. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'd only buy one consigned to a dealer, full paperwork, DROS, etc. I'm not interested in a piece that could have been used in a murder, robbery, etc. If done via dealer with DROS documentation, at the very least I know that 3rd party govt mandated proof exists that the gun was not mine nor in my possession when the altercation took place. That is peace of mind that I need. Private docs/bill of sale scribbled on the back of a Burger King napkin don't sound sufficient to me.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I'd only buy one consigned to a dealer, full paperwork, DROS, etc. I'm not interested in a piece that could have been used in a murder, robbery, etc. If done via dealer with DROS documentation, at the very least I know that 3rd party govt mandated proof exists that the gun was not mine nor in my possession when the altercation took place. That is peace of mind that I need. Private docs/bill of sale scribbled on the back of a Burger King napkin don't sound sufficient to me.
You live in California, so your paradigm isn't exactly like some of the rest of us. Around here (and the outlands of Texas) buying/trading guns is yard sale stuff, like negotiating a chainsaw transaction. And, once the new-to-me chainsaw is in my truck, I don't automatically have to provide it's serial number to anyone. If I incur the unfortunate unlikelihood of my gun purchase being eventually discovered as part of a criminal act, I won't be arrested/indicted because I've committed no crime. I'll present the bill-of-sale & copy of the seller's drivers license to the authorities & show the guns "paper trail" of possession since I've owned it. If it's an active investigation, they might need it so I'll... hand it over. It may come home & it may not. But the money I've saved is, IMHO, comPLETELY worth the risk when the WORST CASE downside is a confiscation (with a possible return). :yup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Many people, myself included, would want no part of a bill of sale in a private firearms transaction. They give you zero legal liability and aren't a legal document.

Also if some dude wanted a copy of my id and personal info, there's no way I'm giving it to him. He could be harmless but why would you give your address to a complete stranger.

Why even go the private sale route if you're willing to give up all your personal info.

I agree, I've walked from deals where I show up cash in hand and they want to do a bill of sale. I don't mind showing my license or permit briefly just to prove that I'm a resident of the state, but there is no way I'm handing over all that personal info to some random person. Plus, there is no legal requirement to do so on either end (at least in TN). Past that I just use my common sense. If something doesn't seem right I walk.

As others have said, just meet up in a well traveled place and be aware of what's going on. It's a Glock, I'm sure it will be fine.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I like a Bill of Sale as my protection FROM the seller. He already HAS the serial number. What keeps him from taking my (cash?) money & then filing a report that the gun I just bought was...stolen from him...by ME? :blink:

I have no problem with exchanging photo IDs and signatures with a stranger over a $500+ transaction. I'd do the same thing over a johnboat or a (registered) beagle pup.

Reactions: TeflonDon
1 - 20 of 30 Posts