Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was very excited when i bought my new kimber . my excitement was short lived however. the first 150 rounds or so were as smooth as silk, and then my troubles started. each time when i inserted a fresh magazine and released the slide, it wouldnt fully seat requiring a manual bump. it would fail to feed again at least once each magazine. i contacted kimber who told me that the weapon just wasnt yet broken in, so i ran another 350 rounds through it. the problem continued. i asked for help on the 1911 forum and was told there were known issues with blazer brass ammunition, so i took it back out with 500 rounds of WWB, remington, corbon, pmc, and the problem continued.

i stopped by sheels all sports (billings montana) to look for my next gun purchase, and the gun manager asked me how the new kimber was doing. when i told him of my troubles without hesitation he offered me a full refund (even after 1000 rounds!). they will send the weapon back to kimber for repairs and then sell it as a used weapon. once again their customer service amazed me.

since i really liked the 4" 1911 for ccw i turned around and ordered a springfield champion. if all my other springfields are any indication, im sure the champion will serve me very well.

this post isnt intended to be an anti-kimber post and i hope you dont take it as such. i know that anybody can make mistakes....i know kimber builds great 1911s overall....but like anybody else ill stay with what has served me best.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I had an almost identical experience with my full size Kimber. Rounds would hang up half way into the chamber on a regular basis. I wound up trading it to a friend (and he's still a friend :bier: ) who liked to tinker with guns, and he still had the same issue.

I hated to get rid of it because it had the sweetest trigger action of any .45 I've ever used...:mad:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Kimber. Good luck with the SA Champion. I have been very happy with my SA Lightweight Champion.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Hope it works out. I love my champ., but had to send it back after 100 rnds the slide stop wasn't working.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Geez...One of my 1911's is a Custom TLE...600+ rounds with not a single malfunction.

Maybe I got a fluke

:danceban:

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Years ago you wouldn't hear anything bad about them. Maybe they've gotten too big and their quality is slipping.

Or, maybe I wasn't in the right place to hear about them years ago and they had the same problems.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Indeed that store manager has an awesome approach - that is superb.

Hope the Springer will replace any Kimber loss blues :wink: - sure it will.

·
Registered
481 Posts
NaturalSelection,

Sorry to hear that the Kimber did not work out.

If your new gun does not fit the holster pictured in your link that well, keep me in mind and I'll buy the holster from you if the price is right ! I have a black Galco of that style, been looking for a brown one.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
i stopped by sheels all sports (billings montana) to look for my next gun purchase, and the gun manager asked me how the new kimber was doing. when i told him of my troubles without hesitation he offered me a full refund (even after 1000 rounds!). they will send the weapon back to kimber for repairs and then sell it as a used weapon. once again their customer service amazed me.
Sure wish we had a store like this in Kalispell.

Now this is customer service!:congrats:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope its not a sore subject...

Were you using Kimber's stock magazines? I am anticipating buying a Kimber soon, done a lot of research. My understanding is that the magazine's that they ship with are not worth much. When replaced with Wilson 47d's(the common solution, though I think a few others were mentioned), feeding problems are solved. Without knowing more, I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kansas_shooter said:
Natural Selection... Please Please Please give a range report on the champion
will do, but sadly i dont know how long it will take. my dealer called 6 different distributors and nobody has one. i was told that they have been waiting for months for more springfields. i called sportsmans warehouse in missoula also just to see and they told me the same thing. jims guns in fayetteville NC has one on the shelf for $679 (plus shipping to montana) but since sheels did me so good i wouldnt think of buying from anybody else. with summer setting in ill have to try harder at concealing my 5" TRP until they can find me a champion.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CopperKnight said:
Maybe they've gotten too big and their quality is slipping.
i dont mean to suggest this. im sure kimber still builds very fine 1911s. it is however, a disappointment that you cannot expect reasonable function from a weapon with "custom shop" stamped on the slide.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DaveT said:
If your new gun does not fit the holster pictured in your link that well, keep me in mind and I'll buy the holster from you if the price is right !
let me think about that, i want a black one anyway and since there is a delay on finding my champion i could probably take $75 shipped for it. its all of a couple weeks old.

I have a black Galco of that style, been looking for a brown one.
trust me when i tell you that the galco isnt in the same league as the alessi. if you read THIS THREAD youll see that i was perfectly content with galco for most of my adult life. many recommended custom holsters but i went back with galco anyway. now that i own an alessi, i really doubt that ill ever buy another galco and thats not a slam on galco......ive just graduated to a higher level of holster expectation. my alessi spoiled me.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
It can happen with any gun. Funny thing is, I had a SA Champion that had feed and eject problems I could not get resolved and sold it so I could buy a Kimber TLE II. In almost 2000 rounds it has had no problems. I wish it didn't have the external extractor but it has never given me a bit of trouble. Luck of the draw IMHO....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as i cleaned my pro raptor 2 before returning it i kept kicking it around in my head, second guessing myself. the weapon was a perfect fit for me, but it shook my confidence and i just cannot afford that in a carry weapon. i probably could have learned to trust it eventually (after repairs), but then the 1 year warranty limitation concerned me. if kimbers warranty were lifetime like springfield i would have felt better about it, but many times in the past (not always certainly, but many times) ive found that problems early in the game tend to be problems down the road and if kimber wont stand behind it, im not going to either.

·
Registered
116 Posts
mtmack25 said:
Were you using Kimber's stock magazines? I am anticipating buying a Kimber soon, done a lot of research. My understanding is that the magazine's that they ship with are not worth much. When replaced with Wilson 47d's(the common solution, though I think a few others were mentioned), feeding problems are solved. Without knowing more, I can't say for sure.
I had the same issue with my Hi-Standard 1911 (Armcor). Bought some quality mags and a lot of my feeding problems went away.

The mags I have are from Wolff Springs. 7 rounds, flat follower with the dimple.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts