Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The C-96 (Broomhandle) has always fascinated me ever since I saw my first one as a teenager. I found this article on Gun Mag Warehouses website and thought it quite interesting. I have a few now and they are quite fun at the range especially when I attach the shoulder stock.

Attachments

·
Administrator
143,466 Posts
Super interesting firearm.
Years ago I made a pair of ivory grips for one. Not directly from the firearm though. I made an exact copy from some wood grips that came by mail.
Neat project & the $$ was good. So...I never actually handled the firearm. I did get sent a photo from the buyer of my grips actually on the firearm but, it's tucked away "who knows where?" I have not seen it for years.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Since I first saw one in the 60's, I too, thought they looked "super cool"! Kind of funny how "Hollywood has used there likeness, as the basis for a number of fantasy guns"! I've never had friends/family/ or shooting acquaintances that owned one, SO I've never been able to shoot one. I STILL HOPE TO, one day!

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Super interesting firearm.
Years ago I made a pair of ivory grips for one. Not directly from the firearm though. I made an exact copy from some wood grips that came by mail.
Neat project & the $$ was good. So...I never actually handled the firearm. I did get sent a photo from the buyer of my grips actually on the firearm but, it's tucked away "who knows where?" I have not seen it for years.
You didn't, by chance, get your "ivory stock" from "Ajax Grips", did you?

·
Super Moderator
18,325 Posts
Always wanted one Gene. Came so close to "pulling the trigger on one back in the 1980s when some shabby ones came in from China or someplace and were offered for under $200.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I have a WWI era Mauser. It has miss matched parts and some major pitting. It's in 30 cal. My shoulder stock /holster is a replacement I found through Shotgun News. Its a gun that draws attn. at the range! And it's fun to shoot! Mine has a 5" barrel. A few years back I moved it out of CA because they were trying to make it an assault weapon. Even though they did not pass the bill that would have made it illegal, I can't bring it back into CA. I also can't bring back either High Power. One is fitted for a shoulder stock and has Artillery sights, the other because it holds high cap magazines. I miss the Mauser most! DR

·
Administrator
143,466 Posts
You didn't, by chance, get your "ivory stock" from "Ajax Grips", did you?
No. The folks that I was buying from (at the time) were Boone Trading Co. David Warther & Zanotti, African Import Co.
And then I bought a huge antique trophy tusk that was part of a pair from a sportsmans club.
One of the pair was severely damaged so they were selling the other. All that I ever worked with was documented pre-ban ivory. I got out of working in ivory just in time, did not have the heart to cut up the trophy tusk so made a museum donation of it. Made ivory grips for my 1911s and never looked back. Now I am just doing oil painting conservation and doing a few custom leather knife sheaths per year for some high dollar collector knives. Finished my studio a while back and just doing conservation work and painting for my own pleasure.
My next project will be a knife and sheath combo (probably a TOPS Tahoma) for our local Police Sargent - former Marine and a super boon for my borough. A hero both in war & peace.
Aren't you sorry that you asked?
🤣

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Awesome piece of history right there! I have seen a few in and around gun shows before but never really gotten to put my hands on one.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Reactions: OD* and msgt/ret

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Def one of the firsts peoples to really put all the element of a good semi auto together ..The latter mag feed models I been looking for ...The full auto ones I have been wanting for a long time

They were very very populare in china as were other stocked handguns as during the Warlord years rifles you could not easily import to China but stocked pistols were fine ..So a big market for full auto stocked pistol was born from the China wars

Reactions: Pete63

·
Super Moderator
16,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Def one of the firsts peoples to really put all the element of a good semi auto together ..The latter mag feed models I been looking for ...The full auto ones I have been wanting for a long time

They were very very populare in china as were other stocked handguns as during the Warlord years rifles you could not easily import to China but stocked pistols were fine ..So a big market for full auto stocked pistol was born from the China wars
I've only seen one, it was on display along with a Thompson sub-machine.
Here is a nice write up on the Schnellfeuer.
And a video of shooting it.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
I've only seen one, it was on display along with a Thompson sub-machine.
Here is a nice write up on the Schnellfeuer.
And a video of shooting it.
Its prob the most commen full auto pre 86 handgun out there oddly enough I think ... The spanish copy the Astra go for lest .

They are cool gun and really handy I would think if the boers were charging on you ( yeah I know Churchil use a semi auto only one ...)

·
Registered
217 Posts
The military acceptance stamp from the Oberndorff arsenal noted in the blog article ...eluded me for years.
Mine has that , after seeing it this morning. One stamp = approx. $1000 dollars extra in value. Great.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
A C96 and P08 were the first centerfire semi-auto guns I shot as a kid (11?), and probably started me down the path that I am currently on as a shooter.

WWII might have gone a lot differently if Churchill hadn't used his C96 to good effect as a Cavalry Officer at Omdurman in 1898.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
A good buddy has a Bergman I got the opportunity to shoot. Lots of fun , but expensive ammo .

Reactions: msgt/ret
1 - 18 of 18 Posts