Defensive Carry banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12,002 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
With their mindset, I'm pretty sure there a many things they don't realize and likely never will.

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Reactions: G26Raven

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
What royally pizzas me off is the constant depiction on TV shows & movies of deer hunters as beer swilling, red neck slack wits. The vast majority of hunters I know, (certainly me and my extended family), would never take a drink before, or during a hunt. No alcohol till the guns are safely stowed, and business and driving taken care of.

The first whitetail deer I brought in decades ago was when I was out of work. It was during some economic downturn, seemingly no one hiring, and I was feeling pretty low. Getting that deer, and processing it myself was one great feeling. Ie I could still put meat on the table no matter what the dayum economy was doing.

Heck, hunting is a great wholesome family activity. But you’d never know it by the treatment on TV and on film that we get.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Raised in the hills of West Virginia, hunting was simply another aisle at the supermarket. Folks hunted for food, and even the sport of it came second. I enjoyed the fruits of hunting, the exposure to nature, and learned to appreciate how it all came together. These days, I still have nothing against hunting, just an old body who would likely become the prey at some point. My hunting days may be over, but my appreciation of it as necessity and as sport will always remain. Then there's that thing that can't be replaced - the taste of fresh game!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I was raised in Michigan and my grandparents had a farm in the upper part of the lower peninsula.
There was no hunting season.

If there was space in the freezer and a need for meat, any future venison that happened onto the farm was fair game. Any time. Grandpa negotiated with the butcher and gave him meat in exchange for his skill set.

Reactions: demanic

·
Registered
45,378 Posts
What royally pizzas me off is the constant depiction on TV shows & movies of deer hunters as beer swilling, red neck slack wits.
Real swillers swill whiskey.🥃

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I was raised in Michigan and my grandparents had a farm in the upper part of the lower peninsula.
There was no hunting season.

If there was space in the freezer and a need for meat, any future venison that happened onto the farm was fair game. Any time. Grandpa negotiated with the butcher and gave him meat in exchange for his skill set.
I'll bet that the butcher never had to hunt. The good old days where one could trade a skill for sustenance without the government getting involved.

·
Registered
722 Posts
This misfits should take a trip to a cow , pig or chicken slaughter house , maybe find out more about a dairy too as when milk production drops to a certain level off goes those cows to become dog and cat food for these peoples pets . . I should have typed - Meat and Poultry Processing Facility not Slaughter House , thats might sound a bit harsh .
I grew up on a ranch, so I've been to cattle auction lots quite often. The old / worn out dairy cattle plus any beef cattle that could not sell as breeder stock would be bought by the guy who bought for McDonalds... The yearling bulls were usually bought by the feeder lots where they would be fed out on grain for a certain period of time and then sent to the processing facility. The young cows would either end up as breeder stock or in feed lots, ultimately destined for someone's dinner table...

I haven't been to one in 40+ years, so things might have changed, but that was the way it was back then...

·
Registered
722 Posts
What royally pizzas me off is the constant depiction on TV shows & movies of deer hunters as beer swilling, red neck slack wits. The vast majority of hunters I know, (certainly me and my extended family), would never take a drink before, or during a hunt. No alcohol till the guns are safely stowed, and business and driving taken care of.
Everything in moderation... Having a couple of beers while hunting might not be a big deal for some people... For others, even the least amount of alcohol affects them because their liver cannot process it that well... Asians often fall into this latter category... Let's just say that wife was a "cheap date" when we first met... These days, if someone offers her a drink, she points at me and says, "I don't drink -- last time I did, I ended up getting married to HIM..."

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I grew up on a ranch, so I've been to cattle auction lots quite often. The old / worn out dairy cattle plus any beef cattle that could not sell as breeder stock would be bought by the guy who bought for McDonalds... The yearling bulls were usually bought by the feeder lots where they would be fed out on grain for a certain period of time and then sent to the processing facility. The young cows would either end up as breeder stock or in feed lots, ultimately destined for someone's dinner table...

I haven't been to one in 40+ years, so things might have changed, but that was the way it was back then...
Doubtful it changed for the better ether .

·
Registered
45,378 Posts
Everything in moderation... Having a couple of beers while hunting might not be a big deal for some people... For others, even the least amount of alcohol affects them because their liver cannot process it that well...
What liver?

• Love
Reactions: oneshot

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts

Nothing's changed. I love a quality steak, but don't mind ground meat products made from low grade stock. Potted meat seen in small cans on the grocery store shelf? I'll eat it with relish.

Stupid anti-hunters!

Won't ever happen because it is the primary source of power for the evil who hold sway over this nation, but the large majority of this nation's citizens desperately need to be disenfranchized. The demonstrably stupid deserve no right to vote. A civics, government, history, and mathematics test should be required before a citizen is added to the voter rolls and it should be a tough test with regularly required updates. The test wouldn't require a college degree, but it would require discipline, common sense, moral sense, and a measure of "book-larnin'"retained in order to participate in self government.

We're a republic. The right to vote is way overrated. Democracy unbridled will destroy itself as assuredly as an engine provided with endlessly increasing supplies of fuel will over-rev and fail. Every citizen doesn't deserve the right to vote, but politicians want it that way so as to amass and retain power. The stupidly irresponsible should be denied right of self governance for they will ruin it for everyone and where is the liberty and fairness in that?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Nothing's changed. I love a quality steak, but don't mind ground meat products made from low grade stock. Potted meat seen in small cans on the grocery store shelf? I'll eat it with relish.

Stupid anti-hunters!

Won't ever happen because it is the primary source of power for the evil who hold sway over this nation, but the large majority of this nation's citizens desperately need to be disenfranchized. The demonstrably stupid deserve no right to vote. A civics, government, history, and mathematics test should be required before a citizen is added to the voter rolls and it should be a tough test with regularly required updates. The test wouldn't require a college degree, but it would require discipline, common sense, moral sense, and a measure of "book-larnin'"retained in order to participate in self government.

We're a republic. The right to vote is way overrated. Democracy unbridled will destroy itself as assuredly as an engine provided with endlessly increasing supplies of fuel will over-rev and fail. Every citizen doesn't deserve the right to vote, but politicians want it that way so as to amass and retain power. The stupidly irresponsible should be denied right of self governance for they will ruin it for everyone and where is the liberty and fairness in that?
I actually favor the idea of a poll tax or property ownership in order to vote... Even a small poll tax would get rid of the people who have no conviction in their political beliefs... And I mean true property ownership of land, not mortgaged ownership or apartment / condo owners / dwellers... When you allow just any idiot to vote, you should not be surprised when idiots get elected...

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
Property ownership once worked as a qualification to vote as did a poll tax. It'd be a whole sight better than what we have at present to protect the sanctity of the vote, hence the health and survival of our nation.

Virtue signalling and one's degree of wokeness should count for nuthin' at all.

Oh, and this one'll cut deeply. If one intends to be the recipient of government provided monies or benefits then he must surrender his rights to vote for the duration benefits are received plus five years, veterans excepted.

That leaves out Social Security recipients, but then Social Security is the most tangled, vile evil that FDR and his political minions could have ever afflicted on this nation! It will never be unraveled until thus nation ultimately fails.

And, anti-hunters should never vote because they are on the front row of the stupid dupes citizens of this nation.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts