Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've considered trying to get a C&R next year.

On the upside it'd be fun to shop around for some of these great old guns.

On the downside, there doesn't seem to be too much to shop for. When I think of C&R I think of great old stuff like M1's, M1 Carbines, 1903A3's, etc. but honestly these are all long gone by now, lost to history (read not available at any reasonable price).

The other thing is, at some point they'll see these old guns all out, and they're never ever going to make something like old M14s or M16s C&R. The BATF would never ever let it happen.

I can get Mosins for $65 all day long already, and Yugo SKSes for $150-$200 if I want to go retro.

On the one hand I'm still intrigued with the possibilities, OTOH I have no idea how to apply for it or how much it costs and if it's even worth it any more. It seems like the well has dried up on that one.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
might want to check
1 what your state allows you to own
2 the cost of the guns you might want

My buddy got his for MI, I think he paid nearly $8,000 for a Reising .45 ACP carbine. MI strictly regulates what guns you can get.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just got mine.

Cost is $30. You'll get most of that back on your first firearm purchase when you save the transfer fee. You'll also get discounts from places like Midway and Brownells.

You merely fill out a form and a duplicate. Send one copy to ATFE and one to your local LEO. I got my license in about a month.

I don't have a link handy, but you'll go to the ATF licensing center and request the forms. Since I live near their distribution center, I got mine in a day or two.

Chris

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As far as eligible weapons: .303 Enfields, Walther P-38s, EG/Russian/etc. Makarovs ... that's why I'm considering one anyway. :biggrin:
Jack

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It is foolish NOT to get a C&R FFL, even if it is just for the discounts from Brownells, Midway, Grafs, etc.

$30 for 3 years is a steal.

You DO need to have a bound book and keep some records. If any of your guns ever get stolen (even by UPS, FedEx, airlines, etc.) you are legally obligated to notify BATFE!

All info is available on the BATFE website.

M1s and M1 Carbines are readily available. They aren't $99 any more. :smile: But no decent guns are dirt cheap any more.

All guns become C&R automatically when the particular gun (not just the model) becomes > 50 years old! So, yes the M16, M14, etc. will eventually become C&R.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I considered it - and considered it - all the while picking up SKS's, Enfields, Mausers, Mossins ----- and now when I think about it realize I should have done it long ago :rolleyes:.

I doubt I'll get any more C&R's now so won't bother - I get a Brownells discount anyways. My saving grace I guess was having an FFL who only ever charges me $10 per transfer - rather lucky.

Looking back - and so my suggestion to you Euc - is go get it dude :smile:

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Lots of goodies out there thast fall into the C&R slot...........just gotta know exactly what you're buying, as some of the items fall into some grey areas...

·
Registered
102 Posts
That is precisely why I wonder if this is really worth the hassle.
It's not a hassle at all. It took me just a few minutes to fill out the form twice (once for ATF and once for LEO) and a couple minutes to write a short letter to my LEO so he knew what was going on (just a formality). I spent less than half an hour from start to finish and this included time to talk to my wife about normal household stuff and to play with my daughter as she walked by.

I got my license in about a month. When it arrived, I noticed my street address was misspelled. I sent an email to ATF's FFL Licensing Center. The next day, I got a very friendly reply (smileys and everything) stating that a new license with correct spelling had been printed and put in that day's mail and to contact them if I don't receive it by the end of the week.

If you never buy a C&R gun and none of your guns gain C&R status before you sell them, you never have to deal with the bound book issue. If you're like me, then the dealer discounts will pay for the license alone. Besides, new guns are added to the "C&R list" all the time. There might not be anything interesting at the moment, but that could change next week.

Chris

·
Registered
275 Posts
A C&R FFL is used primarily for buy guns in other states that what you reside in. You cannot act as a dealer and bring the guns in, then sell them to other people or sell them for a shop of your own. That is made very clear on the ATF's website. They do really warn against become a dealer of sorts. It's for personal collections only.

I just had to mention this, no one else has.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, MidwayUSA finally applied my C&R to my account, enabling me to get dealer pricing.

For what I plan on ordering in the near future, the savings aren't that great. However, for stuff that I've been eyeballing for the past year or so, but could never justify, I can get my license fee back by ordering one or two items. Some of the savings were as much as $50 on a $200 item.

Chris

·
Banned
16 Posts
The best C&R handgun BY FAR is the CZ 52. Its the whole reason I got my C&R. For $100 to $150 I can get one shipped to my house, UPS.

These babies cost around $1000 when they were Czech military and police guns. HK roller bearings in the action. Buy the S&B ammo, STAY AWAY from military surplus ammo (usually sold in 70 quantity boxes from Yugo). This is a machine gun load and not very Pistol friendly.

~CZ

·
Registered
940 Posts
One would have seriously paid for itself in the early or mid 90s. These days, in all honesty, I don't think so in terms of hassle and other issues.

The glory days of surplus guns are pretty well over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts