Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a CCW holder in California and recently took a job at a school where I have to commute a long distance. With this, I would like to have the security of my firearm while traveling. I know it is illegal to carry at most school districts, however is it within the law to safely store my gun in my vehicle while at work when it is parked on school grounds?
Or can anyone point me in the right direction to find this information out specific to my area?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I believe it is a distance from school boundaries, not just on school grounds.
If I recall correctly, you can't have a firearm within 1000 feet of school grounds. But I'd have to look it up to be certain.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
How did you get a California CCW? They are nearly impossible to obtain in the People's Republic... Did you give your plasma and first born child to the state?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Some counties are much easier than others to get a CCW. It's totally up to the discretion of the county sheriff. Sacramento county is among the easier ones to get one in....

I believe if you have a permit, you can drive by the school, but cannot enter school grounds. If you park and leave the vehicle, you can't have in the vehicle either. Also I do know a select few school districts have acquired waivers for teachers and other school officials.... But I could be wrong and probably am....

Also, ET needs to phone home and ask the space brothers to come down and take Gavin Newsome away before he gets elected Governer and really screws everything up really badly....

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
How did you get a California CCW? They are nearly impossible to obtain in the People's Republic... Did you give your plasma and first born child to the state?
My wife and I both had permits in Ventura county. You had to pass a background check, fill out a multi-page application and explain why you needed one, and undergo a personal interview with a deputy. The process took 18 months. You can get them easily in some counties, with difficulty in others (like Ventura), and not at all in some counties (Los Angeles, Orange, San Francisco, San Diego).

·
Registered
863 Posts
My wife and I both had permits in Ventura county. You had to pass a background check, fill out a multi-page application and explain why you needed one, and undergo a personal interview with a deputy. The process took 18 months. You can get them easily in some counties, with difficulty in others (like Ventura), and not at all in some counties (Los Angeles, Orange, San Francisco, San Diego).
Is your ccw permit good anywhere in ca or just in the county where it was issued??

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Is your ccw permit good anywhere in ca or just in the county where it was issued??
We live in Utah now, and of course, California does not have reciprocity with any other state.

When we lived in California, and at least for now, your permit is good anywhere in the state. However, you have to be careful in certain areas. For example, if my memory serves correctly, JHPs are illegal to carry in San Francisco, so if you travel through there and got stopped, you would be in trouble there. This was definitely an issue for us as we would travel through San Francisco once or twice a year to visit relatives in northern counties. Very happy we do not live in California any more. No desire to move back and only visit there when it's unavoidable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts