Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I searched and was unable to reach a definitive conclusion.
I'll be vacationing in the LA area this weekend, and I'd MUCH prefer not to do it unarmed. I know I can't carry, but it IS legal to have in the hotel room. I also understand the rules about the actual trip in the vehicle. (locked in a case, etc.) My question concerns hi-cap magazines. Can I bring them?
The law says I can't manufacture, import (I assume for sale), give, lend, or sell them. It also says it not against the law to posess them if they were bought before the AWB. Does "import" mean to bring it AT ALL, even thought I'm just visiting there? I don't own any 10-rounders for my G20.
What say the experts? :confused:Am I stuck with my J-frame this weekend?
TIA!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Good Luck Dude,that sounds like a nightmare

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think "import" generally implies for sale. Merriam-Webster says to bring (as merchandise) into a place or country from another country, but who knows what lawyers, DA's or an overzealous LEO might think.

Personally, in California, I wouldn't chance it. In addition to the state laws, you have a bunch of local ordinances, and who knows WHAT of those you might end up violating. It's the most anti-gun state in the country.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Personally, in California, I wouldn't chance it. In addition to the state laws, you have a bunch of local ordinances, and who knows WHAT of those you might end up violating. It's the most anti-gun state in the country.
Um, no it isn't. In some states (IL, MA, etc) you have to have "permission" from the state to even OWN a handgun. FOID card, etc. Not so in CA.

Also, you can legally carry openly with an UNLOADED firearm in CA and NO permit is needed. You can even have loaded magazines/speed loaders on your person at the same time. Just no ammo in the gun. Not many people realize that, or they forget about it. :twak:

Also, for the OP, if the mags are truly pre-ban and you can PROVE it, then you are perfectly fine to bring them into CA for your own use.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, for the OP, if the mags are truly pre-ban and you can PROVE it, then you are perfectly fine to bring them into CA for your own use.
Do you have a link for that info?
Also, how would I prove that I had the gun/mags pre-ban?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Nearly all magazines manufactured after the ban have "FOR GOV"T, LE USE ONLY" stamped on them. If that's not on there you should be OK. I've never seen a magazine that actually had it's date of manufacture on it.

·
Banned
112 Posts
You can use Google just as easily as I can...but, here goes...

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

Are the mags over 10 rounds and NOT stamped "LE/Gov't only"? If so, then those are obviously pre-ban because Glock magazines made after September 1994 are stamped with that text and Sep 1994 date. Now, if you're like me and have several post ban legal magazines purchased either during or after the ban expired in 2004, then...that's a bit harder. I kept the receipts for my magazines, but I don't know how much "proof" that is because they aren't serialized like a gun is.

As for the gun, I'm not sure when Glocks with the finger grooves came out, but my G19 was purchased in 1994, but made before the ban. The grip only has texturing and no finger grooves and definitely no rail. If that's the case, then the Glock is obviously pre-ban. But, don't expect a cop to know that...

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
When I went on vacation to San Diego this past May and took my handgun with me, I went out and bought a used 10 rd mag, I figured the $9 was worth it.

·
Banned
112 Posts
When I went on vacation to San Diego this past May and took my handgun with me, I went out and bought a used 10 rd mag, I figured the $9 was worth it.
That is great advice. I have a 10 round magazine for every "high cap" pistol I own. Mainly because most of them were bought during the AWB and I sure as hell wasn't paying $80-100 at the gunshows for existing "high cap" magazines.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can use Google just as easily as I can...but, here goes...

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

Are the mags over 10 rounds and NOT stamped "LE/Gov't only"? If so, then those are obviously pre-ban because Glock magazines made after September 1994 are stamped with that text and Sep 1994 date. Now, if you're like me and have several post ban legal magazines purchased either during or after the ban expired in 2004, then...that's a bit harder. I kept the receipts for my magazines, but I don't know how much "proof" that is because they aren't serialized like a gun is.

As for the gun, I'm not sure when Glocks with the finger grooves came out, but my G19 was purchased in 1994, but made before the ban. The grip only has texturing and no finger grooves and definitely no rail. If that's the case, then the Glock is obviously pre-ban. But, don't expect a cop to know that...
I've been searching/Googling, but I didn't see anything definitive about what "import" actually means here. I didn't see anything relating to that in the document you linked to.
Any Glock is easy enough to see the manufacture date by just searching the serial number. Mine was made in '02. I also bought some new hi-caps a few weeks ago that were not marked LEO ONLY, so the only thing that marking would tell you is if they were made SHORTLY after the AWB. Also, the 1994 national AWB is different from CA's 2001 AWB date.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is great advice. I have a 10 round magazine for every "high cap" pistol I own. Mainly because most of them were bought during the AWB and I sure as hell wasn't paying $80-100 at the gunshows for existing "high cap" magazines.
I have 10-rounders for my G22/17, but that one doesn't have a slide for a few more weeks.:frown:

·
Banned
112 Posts
Don't know then... As another poster mentioned, I'd just pick up a cheap 10 round magazine (or three) and just take those. No worries at all. Do you really expect to get into a gunfight and need more than 10, 20, or 30 rounds depending on the number of loaded mags you might carry?

As for the Glock, if possible, I'd keep a copy of the purchase receipt with me showing the serial number and date of purchase with the name/number of the gun store it was purchased from because it's better than nothing. Of course, this is assuming you didn't buy it used via private transfer...

·
Banned
112 Posts
Bill, when is your trip? Do you have time to order? Here's a link for "low capacity" magazines. I hate that term, but... And, not as cheap as $9, either...

TopGlock.com: Glock Magazines Low Capacity

edited to add: Just re-read where you were going this weekend, so I guess ordering isn't going to work for this trip. Can you swing by J&G Sales down in Prescott on the way? I'd call them and see what they have. I'll bet they have 10 rounders...

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Meaning of "import"

"Import" of high capacity magazines into California simply means to bring them into the state for any purpose. It does not specifically refer to sale of the magazines. It is a felony under CA law to import a high capacity magazine into the state. Go to the CA Dept. of Justice website to confirm this.

The only people (other than LEOs) who can possess high capacity magazines in CA are those who lived in CA prior to 1/1/2000 and owned the magazines in
CA before that date. This is a "grandfather" clause.

I would advise you to forget about taking your Glock and your existing magazines, which hold more than 10 rounds. Just take your revolver and keep it locked and empty until you are in your hotel room, then load it and keep it in the room. Carry a folding knife or pepper spray on the street if you are nervous, but don't carry the gun.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
More information

This is from the FAQ section of the CA DOJ website:

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))

·
Banned
112 Posts
The only people (other than LEOs) who can possess high capacity magazines in CA are those who lived in CA prior to 1/1/2000 and owned the magazines in
CA before that date. This is a "grandfather" clause.
What about people who move to CA and already own CA pre-ban stuff? I thought that was legal, at least with bringing your guns.

Carry a folding knife or pepper spray on the street if you are nervous, but don't carry the gun.
Why not carry? Open carry of an unloaded firearm (you can have loaded magazines with you) is perfectly legal and no permit required, should he choose to do so.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Response

What about people who move to CA and already own CA pre-ban stuff? I thought that was legal, at least with bringing your guns.

Why not carry? Open carry of an unloaded firearm (you can have loaded magazines with you) is perfectly legal and no permit required, should he choose to do so.
I'm not sure I understand the first question above. New CA residents after 1/1/2000 can't bring hicaps with them into CA. Only people who lived in CA prior to 1/1/2000 and owned hicaps in CA then can legally have them now.

On the open carry question - you are technically correct that unloaded open carry is legal. But many people, including some police, don't know that law very well. So open carriers are constantly hassled. You have to ask if its worth it, and whether a visitor from out of state wants to go through all that.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If you're bring the gun mostly for hotel use, then I agree, it may be simpler to just bring the revolver. What part of LA area are you going to?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts