Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually cite Cabela's as having great gun prices, but based on what folks here report paying for a Ruger LCP, this looks pretty good.

"Ruger LCP Package" is the .380 LCP, DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, pistol rug and two mags. $349.99

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Ehhh not a mind blowing deal....but its attractive to those wanting a one stop shop

·
Registered
271 Posts
I saw it in their printed flyer this morning. Buddy picked it up last time they ran a sale for that gun. Pretty good deal...if you can find the ammo for the gun.

·
Registered
128 Posts
LCP was 299.00 at Cabela's last month when I was there. Is everything else that much more than 50.00? Don't they come with two mags anyway? Leaving you with paying 50.00 for the holster? I dunno. Seems a larger caliber can be had for the same price. I guess my lower limit is 9mm so that colors my judgement a lot.

LCP IS cute though! I like it's looks. And I would gladly accept one as a gift!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I bought my LCP locally for $331 back in January ........which I believe is the MSRP :confused:

I love the little girl, it's a great little BUG

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
LCP local 3 places $299.00-$306.00-329.00. Plus tax. No extra mag. going to buy one over the next two weeks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't usually cite Cabela's as having great gun prices, but based on what folks here report paying for a Ruger LCP, this looks pretty good.

"Ruger LCP Package" is the .380 LCP, DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, pistol rug and two mags. $349.99
I bought mine used a few weeks ago. A guy put it on consignment who had bought it for his wife. She didn't like it. Dope. People need to pick out their own guns.

For $250, I got a nearly new LCP (post recall) with four magazines. So far it has been flawless. I really like it!

I'm carrying FMJ in it until my backorder of Golden Sabers arrive. I'm torn between FMJ and HP in this caliber. The choice seems to be between too much penetration and not enough. The GS seem to be a good balance.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Around here, LCPs sell for $275 to $299. The DeSantis is about $17 and a spare mag is $25. (only comes with 1 mag). Not sure about the nicer cloth case that is in the package.:rolleyes:
BTW-nice pickup MountainPacker on the consignment LCP w/ 4 mags!!!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I bought mine used a few weeks ago. A guy put it on consignment who had bought it for his wife. She didn't like it. Dope. People need to pick out their own guns.

For $250, I got a nearly new LCP (post recall) with four magazines. So far it has been flawless. I really like it!

I'm carrying FMJ in it until my backorder of Golden Sabers arrive. I'm torn between FMJ and HP in this caliber. The choice seems to be between too much penetration and not enough. The GS seem to be a good balance.

cabela's just had 102 grn golden sabers in stock last week. picked up 100 for my p238. going out to test them on saturday. Hopefully like all my other carry guns with GS in it the p238 will run great. there's a ammo search engine that searches a lot of the major manufactures for in stock ammo. the link is on my desktop i'll try to remember to post it for you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my LCP this past Sunday at the Phoenix Crossroads of the West GS for $279.00 NIB. No extra mag, but it did have a Ruger logo zipper pouch, lock, and substitute bottom for the mag in case you did not like the one with the finger rest.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Is this the link you're thinking about?

"www.ammoengine.com"
yeah...figures it would be pretty basic..i have it bookmarked so i never pay attention to the actual address. i've been checking that thing daily since i got my .380...really makes me realize now how much cheaperthandirt is price gouging. they used to be decent b/c thats where i bought my golden sabers for my other carry guns. the .45s were $1 a round back then which was decent. Now cheaperthandirt is double the local gun shop price

·
Registered
128 Posts

Awesome deal ya got there! I would be proud of that too!

Now tell me about this "too much penetration" thing with a .380 ??? I never saw those words associated with a .380 before. It sounds like a great bedtime story! :muede09: Once upon a time - in a land of 4" thick people who wore no clothes and had no bones...

(said the guy with a 10mm) :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
If you don't think 20" is overpenetration, then you fell asleep too early during the bedtime story.

From Buffalo Bore Ammo website:

This 380 Auto+P ammo will better all American made 380 Auto ammo by 150 fps to 200 fps in all bullet weights we make. This is a serious improvement in this typically anemic cartridge. This 380 auto+P ammo is more powerful than the typical 38SPL ammo made by most American ammo makers and you'll get 7 shots of it in a small/flat/light weight 380 versus 5 shots out of a bulkier 38 SPL J frame revolver. Additionally, with the 380 you'll get much faster reloads and the little magazines are flatter than a speed-loader used for a J frame.

1. Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,150 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action). We've used a flash suppressed powder for all three of our 380 auto loads so that you wont be blinded by your own gunfire if you have to shoot in the dark and since around 95% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light, the chances that your own gunfire will blind you while you are trying to save your life, are good - we've eliminated this variable by using flash suppressed powder. We've also chosen a flat nosed solid bullet. The flat on the nose ensures that the bullet will cut/smash its way through flesh and bone and do much more destruction than typical round nose FMJ bullets. Round nosed bullets tend to slip and slide through matter, doing little damage as opposed to a flat nosed bullet. The flat nose not only wounds much more than a round nosed bullet, but it actually keeps the penetration straight and thus deeper. Notice the below velocities recorded from my personal 380 auto pistols. These are real world guns and thus the speeds are realistic and not exaggerated speeds produced from laboratory test barrels. What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo, is truly what you get in the "real world", where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 380 auto pistol and the trade-off is that you are now going to have to stay alive with that pistol and over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family.

1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel--- 1160 fps
2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1149 fps
3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1072 fps
4. Keltec---1061 fps

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great post Chorizo!

I think the most important part for anyone is this: "...over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family."

That goes for ANY gun in my book. I would rather have two holes with each shot than a prematurely stopped bullet - one that can't make it past a coat or bone. We're not talking rifles here so trying to be sure it stays in and doesn't exit may cost you your life. Too many variables to be sure of anything.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chorizo and CommonMan....how about simply starting a new thread about your topic of interest...sure doesn't fit in this one...:rofl:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

After doing some reading on the merits of the new Hornady Critical Defense ammo, it's what I load in my P238. You may have to go on a waiting list to get them, which is what I did at Midway USA and had them in about 3 months.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Love my Elsie Pea. Got her to fight my way back to my Walther P99, which I got to fight my way back to my rifle.
Don't have anything bigger to fight my way back to sadly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts