Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a state with a restriction of 10 round a were you opt for 10 rounds of 9 or 40? Ammo price difference here is negligible. Only a few dollars. I have no ties to one caliber.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
This has been brought up before ..

But carry what you shoot best ...Peoird

Me I would just get a single stack 45 or 10mm ( like say a 220 or 1911) ..That way you gain something for the crap ( ie not having a thicker gun ) ..

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
In a state with a restriction of 10 round a were you opt for 10 rounds of 9 or 40? Ammo price difference here is negligible. Only a few dollars. I have no ties to one caliber.
Do you have a near by range that rents guns? If so, I would try various brands and calibers. I shoot the 40 and have no problems, but some say they're too snappy. What do anticipate running across in the woods?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
The gun matters too. What are we talking, heavy or light gun? .40 is snappy at times out of the pocket rockets in polymer, but put it in a steel frame and recoil can be brought down quite a bit. If this will double as a woods gun, I'd do .40..but that depends on what creatures you might find in the woods. If you happen to wander across a black bear, you'll want more than a .40 cal.

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
It really depends on the shooter. Generally I'd say anyone who has good control with .40 should choose .40 over 9, and anyone who doesn't should choose 9 over .40, regardless of capacity restrictions.

Although I hate the idea of capacity restrictions with a passion, realistically, I think ten rounds is enough as long as you can carry spare mags. If ten shots doesn't at least buy one a few seconds and cover to reload, he's probably out of luck anyway.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Personally, I'd go with a .45. If you have no issues handling the .40 then I feel that's the caliber for you. There's a whole penetration topic I won't get into but the .40 will serve you better if you can handle it well

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

Me I would just get a single stack 45 or 10mm ( like say a 220 or 1911) ..That way you gain something for the crap ( ie not having a thicker gun ) ..
I'm just going to quote this because it's what wrongrecroom said the last time this question popped up. Or did I say it? Or did he quote me? Or did I quote him? Or was that the time before?? Maybe I quoted what he said and then he quoted me? SQUIRREL!

Carry a gun that you shoot well. Single stack, double stack, steel frame, alloy frame, polymer frame, 9, 40, 45, 10mm...WHATEVAH! None of it matters if you can't put hits on target....and none of it makes any difference that is worth investing any time in agonizing over if you CAN put hits on target. This is especially true if you're living in a state where round count is essentially the same across all full-size, mid-size,compact, and sub-compact semi-autos.

This doesn't mean that you should carry a 2-shot derringer chambered in .25 ACP....but any quality handgun made by a reputable manufacturer in a common defensive caliber will be serviceable. Carry at least one spare mag, run a quality set of tritium night sights, get real training, and practice enough to stay proficient. Bonus points if your logic includes the fact that badguys tend to come out when it's dark so you train with, practice with, and carry a light source that will allow you to illuminate the threat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in NY and while I haven't seen any bear in a while they are around. Not saying that's why I want this because I know 9 vs 40 won't make a difference with a bear. But I figured I would get a caliber that doubles as woods gun. And wondered if 40 would be better with the same rounds and size gun. I'm looking at getting a p320 subcompact. Both 9 and 40 are available with the 40 version being $50 cheaper

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you want a "woods" gun for New York, that is a whole different discussion. Unless you are very serious about going to the less traveled parts of the state, the only animal that you're going ot have a run-in with is a coyote. 9mm will work just fine.

If for some reason you want to be (honestly) prepared for defense against a black bear, then your starting point should be a hot hard-cast lead solid launched from a .357 Magnum or a 10mm. Anything will a lesser ability to penetrate may come up short.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you want a "woods" gun for New York, that is a whole different discussion. Unless you are very serious about going to the less traveled parts of the state, the only animal that you're going ot have a run-in with is a coyote. 9mm will work just fine.

If for some reason you want to be (honestly) prepared for defense against a black bear, then your starting point should be a hot hard-cast lead solid launched from a .357 Magnum or a 10mm. Anything will a lesser ability to penetrate may come up short.
Speaking in terms of when my life is on the line, why would I want something that's only suitable for a coyote when I have the option of carrying something to handle a bear? I agree, carry what you're comfortable with, but (you said it in your earlier post) "get real training, and practice enough to stay proficient."

Just because you're not comfortable carrying a .45 or .357 today doesn't mean you can't (or shouldn't) get the training and be proficient soon thereafter.

Bear gun or coyote gun when my life's on the line....

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Depends on the gun. If I were getting a g26 or 27 sized gun I'd go 9mm 26 to get my full 10 rounds. If it were a g19 or 23 sized gun, I'd go with the .40 g23 since both guns are the same size and will be artificially neutered to 10 rounds.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I favor/carry the .40 mainly because I do spend a lot of time in the outdoors. If I were a city dweller I could possibly be satisfied with a 9mm. Don't get me wrong, I like the 9mm, I carry it regularly on the streets. I feel that 9mm will get the job done on two legged vermin. But I just feel that the .40 can get it done a tad better, plus handle the four legged critters in my neck of the woods/swamps !!! And for what it's worth, I wouldn't be too scared of going up against a black bear with a .40 with the right load.

If I had trouble shooting the .40, I would stick with the 9mm also, but I don't, so there's that !

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Second on the 45

1 - 20 of 50 Posts