Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some very interesting info over at Warriortalk, posted by some folks who I respect and who are well versed on ballistics.

It seems the math has been done, and the .45 has a 4-7% probability (per shot, depending on whether or not it expands) of hitting something vital (spine or major artery) that a slightly smaller 9mm barely misses. That means if you shoot 100 rounds, you would nick something vital with a .45 that would be a near miss with a 9mm only 4-7 times on average. You are better served by firing more 9mm rounds - this gives you a much greater chance of hitting something vital than relying on the larger size of the .45.

This small per-shot advantage for the .45 comes at the expense of less magazine capacity (in a given size gun), greater recoil/slower follow-up shots (all else being equal), and more expensive practice ammo.

Ammo capacity is important to me, as I do not expect one shot from any handgun (regardless of caliber) to stop a determined attacker. Thus, controllability and the ability to make fast, accurate follow-up shots is also important to me. The 9mm has a distinct advantage here.

For me, the small per-shot advantage of the .45 over the 9mm is not worth the associated trade-offs. By all means, if you can conceal-carry a double stack .45, and make repeated hits with it as quickly and accurately as you could with a 9mm, go for it. Most folks, however, would likely find that hard to do.

So, I'm sticking with the 9mm caliber. I've conceded that there must be some per-shot advantage to the larger calibers, but I've been unconvinced that the advantage was great enough to warrant the associated systemic trade-offs. Now that I know the actual "number" I have even more confidence that the 9mm is the best all-around caliber for self-defense for my purposes.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Anyone want some?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:headbutt:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
:bier:

OK, maybe for this one...

:bier::bier:

·
Registered
916 Posts
As they say, a .22 that hits the target does more damage than a .44mag that misses.

Caliber wars are silly. No one get's out of the morque because the round that killed them was too small - or too big. There is not less dead and more dead. There is just dead.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
:pepsi:

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Anyone want some?

I will take some, thanks, love popcorn and love a good discussion.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Mmmm:popcorn:

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny guys!

My purpose is not to beat that dead horse, but to pass on info that was new...to me, anyways. I've not ever seen the per-shot advantage of the .45 over the 9mm quantified before. I figured it was there, and I figured it was small...but I never knew the "percent advantage" before.

It is, of course, up to everyone to decide on their own if this advantage is worth the trade-offs. At least they now know what the advantage actually is...

I'll take some popcorn too - light butter and salt, please!:bier:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Funny guys!

My purpose is not to beat that dead horse, but to pass on info that was new...to me, anyways. I've not ever seen the per-shot advantage of the .45 over the 9mm quantified before. I figured it was there, and I figured it was small...but I never knew the "percent advantage" before.

It is, of course, up to everyone to decide on their own if this advantage is worth the trade-offs. At least they now know what the advantage actually is...

I'll take some popcorn too - light butter and salt, please!:bier:
I didn't think you were beating a dead horse, but I anticipated what was coming. No comparison on the .357 , or was there?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Anyone want some?

No salt and just a little butter on mine.

·
Super Moderator
17,534 Posts
:image035:
That says it best, it does not matter if you are using a .17HMR or .50BMG if you can’t hit where you aim no caliber is effective.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Anyone want some?

Definitely, and pass the salt.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
any caliber beats throwing rocks.

seriously, are there any that you would want to be shot with? (I did not think so)

- Goliath laughed at David's caliber

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
To the OP, I sure hope this means you won't start, or reply to another 'caliber war' post. I don't care what any of you carry... as long as you carry.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I saw that thread, and it was not a caliber war, in and of itself. It was simply math and science. Keep in mind that 9mm is taken very seriously at Warriortalk, and the guy who started the thread on WT uses 9mm. The facts presented can be used to argue for OR against bullet diameter.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts