Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope my wife heard incorrectly but she says they announced that California passed laws
- Requiring a background check to buy ammunition and
- Granting authority to seize weapons from people they consider dangerous. (Hadn't heard about that one).

So will Calif people have to get a permit for two boxes of ammo this month and another permit for a couple of boxes next month?

From what I read yesterday before the election, an anti-gun group flat out spent the NRA. Maybe NRA has become complacent? I don't know but the article mentioned how the anti gun people have taken a page from other agendas that have succeeded and are working on a state by state basis one at a time rather than at the federal level and using the sucess of each state to build momentum in other states. The results of Calif will have implications as others states have similar legislation proposed.

This doesn't sound good.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Welcome to the war. It's difficult to help those who won't help themselves.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
If you look at the election map, you'll see that the coastal population centers control the entire state. They need to split it in two and start over in the north and east. Let the coastal areas eat them selves up with their ineffective ideas.
As a California native, I'm both glad that I got out ten years ago and sad that I had to.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
No doubt this will all end up at the new SCOTUS in 3-4 years

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
We have the same situation in Washington state where the dense population centers are liberal. Fortunately we have state preemption on firearm laws but that is constantly under attack so who knows how long it will endure.

There are other states too that are dominated by one or two large cities. New York and Chicago come to mind.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hope my wife heard incorrectly but she says they announced that California passed laws
- Requiring a background check to buy ammunition and
- Granting authority to seize weapons from people they consider dangerous. (Hadn't heard about that one).

So will Calif people have to get a permit for two boxes of ammo this month and another permit for a couple of boxes next month?

From what I read yesterday before the election, an anti-gun group flat out spent the NRA. Maybe NRA has become complacent? I don't know but the article mentioned how the anti gun people have taken a page from other agendas that have succeeded and are working on a state by state basis one at a time rather than at the federal level and using the sucess of each state to build momentum in other states. The results of Calif will have implications as others states have similar legislation proposed.

This doesn't sound good.
Washington passed the law where people deemed at risk or unstable can have their weapons taken away. it very unclear who will be doing the decision making.......

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
We have the same situation in Washington state where the dense population centers are liberal. Fortunately we have state preemption on firearm laws but that is constantly under attack so who knows how long it will endure.
There are other states too that are dominated by one or two large cities. New York and Chicago come to mind.
Utah is another such state to a certain extent. Salt Lake City is very different politically from most of the state.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Funny how the city that holds the State Capital so often ceases to reflect the REST of the state?!? Austin is NOT Texas. Frankfort is NOT Kentucky. Nashville is NOT Tennessee. And most of the folks in Southern Illinois would MUCH RATHER secede and join us in The Bluegrass than remain under the thumb of Chicago & Springfield! :image035:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Utah is another such state to a certain extent. Salt Lake City is very different politically from most of the state.
I was born and raised in SLC. Moved away in the late 70s. Sad to see what it has become. Used to be a conservative bastion. Haven't been back to visit in many years. The relatives I have there are part of the problem.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was thinking about this this morning. I used to live in CA--in Sutter County. A good portion--dare I say much of CA is pretty rural--with lots of citizens who love their guns. But LA and SF have so much influence on the rest of the State, that--well--CA gets to have the toughest gun restrictions in the country--and now add ammo to the list. I was thinking of a CA split--maybe from San Diego to Marin County--or even triangular adding a corridor to Sacramento. Just some idle thinking...

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
I was born and raised in SLC. Moved away in the late 70s. Sad to see what it has become. Used to be a conservative bastion. Haven't been back to visit in many years. The relatives I have there are part of the problem.
I have lived in Southern Utah for 2.5 years after having lived most of my life in Southern California. It's a breath of fresh air, both figuratively and literally. I was pretty shocked when I made several trips up to SLC this summer. I knew it was more liberal, but it really didn't sink in until I spent time there.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The California Gun Ban
•Banning the possession of high capacity magazines (10 rounds +).
•Possession of hollow point and similar style bullets is now a felony.
•Background checks and permits required for ammunition purchases.
•Register all ammo purchases.
•Can’t have over 500 rounds in your possession.
•All gun owners will require a license and liability insurance.
•All guns with detachable magazines are banned.
•All grandfathered magazines will become illegal. Possession will be a felony.
•Anyone who is not allowed to legally own a weapon cannot live in a home with a weapon.

https://xtremegunsandammo.com/california-gun-ban/

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The California Gun Ban
•All grandfathered magazines will become illegal. Possession will be a felony.
•Anyone who is not allowed to legally own a weapon cannot live in a home with a weapon.

So they really want people to carry ball ammo from now on? Way to go, California! Making the world more dangerous in the name of safety. :blink:

·
Registered
84 Posts
The California Gun Ban
•All grandfathered magazines will become illegal. Possession will be a felony .

rhinoman is headed in the right direction, but his source is exaggerating it some.

The text of the law in question is here..
https://www.oag.ca.gov/system/files/initiatives/pdfs/15-0098 (Firearms)_0.pdf

it does include
•All grandfathered magazines will become illegal. Possession will be a felony. Not true yet...
It does require that ammo purchases/transfers be done at a licensed ammo dealer.
The permit fee is $50 and good for 4 years. The application for the permit can take up to 30 days to be granted.

:aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4:

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Don't worry.....when our new President starts to enforce immigration law the number of violent criminals in Cali will begin to diminish. Then the challenges of these ridiculous laws will begin to hit the Federal system and Heller will be upheld and expanded.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
From what I read yesterday before the election, an anti-gun group flat out spent the NRA. Maybe NRA has become complacent?
They just don't waste money on battles that can't be won. Because of the liberal population centers controlling the vote, CA is a lost cause on most of this legislation.

Everyone outside the liberal coastal cities gets screwed. That's why I left the state of my birth (a grand and beautiful state it is!) over 20 years ago and can count one hand the number of times I've been back. It's almost as bad here where voting is concerned, but we have MUCH better gun laws here (for the moment... we lose more freedom every election).

When I retire I'm moving to Idaho, if it hasn't succumbed to the same disease by then.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts