Defensive Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I just came from the Sheriff's office where we were fingerprinted, photographed, tested, and processed. They said some had come back in as little as two weeks lately...but should be no more than a month.

I had written an entire essay regarding "reason to issue" and they seemed fine with it. Word on the street is they are pretty much "shall issue" in this rural county. The application only had room for three weapons but said to "attach additional page" if needed, so I went ahead and listed six weapons. I asked if that was okay, and the officer said "sure - as long as I can type them on the card" and she assured me that she could.

Have lived in the county for 24 years and have never had any problems with the law...not even a traffic ticket in 22 years...so I'm not worried about the background/print check.

Mailed off my non-resident Utah CFP package first of the week too...we'll see which I get first.

It is going to feel so good to be ARMED and LEGAL! :danceban:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Congrats... besides the areas that you would guess would be anti-gun (LA, SF, Southern CA) it seems that many of the CA members are getting through the system and getting there permits.

Also, may I ask where/what you did to qualify for the Utah CFP? I know that I can take the written online but what did they require of you for the actual shooting portion? I'm interested in getting the Utah permit and then the Florida at a later date.

Thanks and Congrats again.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Excellent - :smilez:

Long route to getting what should be yours by right but - nonetheless - as you say, ''armed and legal'' - has a ring to it! :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayne said:
Also, may I ask where/what you did to qualify for the Utah CFP? I know that I can take the written online but what did they require of you for the actual shooting portion? I'm interested in getting the Utah permit and then the Florida at a later date.
Utah's website Click Here runs it all down very clearly. No shooting portion is required, BUT you must be trained and certified (~four hour class) by a Utah approved instructor. They are listed on the website with contact info. There were many in CA and one in our area. It is a "shall issue" state, so it's pretty routine. It is also very inexpensive compared with most.

Not sure having Florida AND Utah gets you much more than just one. I figure that my CA CCW and UT CHP will make me legal in about 30 states.

Just noticed that you are from Oregon...seems odd that Oregon is about the only state out west (along with NV) to not honor either CA or Utah....?

·
Registered
822 Posts
DParker,

One word will sum up why Oregon is "Odd": Democrats.

They run the state. It's actually pretty amazing that we even have the gun rights that we have and they being "lax" compared to other liberal (extreme) states. If we could get rid of them and get a Republican Gov. then you beat your rear that we would honor allot of other states.

Thanks for the info. on the Utah Permit.

Wayne

·
Super Moderator
13,587 Posts
That's great news! Now if you could just own a gun in California, you'd have it made! Just kiddin'.

·
Super Moderator
25,615 Posts
Congrats. So at least parts of Cali uses common sense?!

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rstickle said:
Congrats. So at least parts of Cali uses common sense?!
Big parts. This state is very divided. The San Fran and LA areas are very blue state/demo/liberal...everywhere else is really very red state/repub/conservative/libertarian. Sadly, "they" outnumber us significantly, though "we" control the vast majority of the geography.

California gives CCW rights to the individual police chiefs and county sheriffs of your place of residence. There is no state issued permit. So we end up with a hodgepodge of unequal treatment. The good news is that if you do live in a pro-issue city/county, the permit is good statewide.

And, since there are relatively very few CCWs in circulation, we do not have to deal with all the "off limit" areas and postings that "shall issue" states have to struggle with. Per state rules, the only place off limits other than federal buildings is picket lines and bars. My particular county (Madera) also prohibits schools and "public gatherings where alcohol is served".

Here is a fairly accurate state map of county attitudes to CCW issuance. Anybody moving to CA ought to take a hard look at it and make your moving plans accordingly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Disgusting. Absolutely gross.
In KKKalifornia, you get yours in less than a month, and it took me, in gun-friendly Texas, 60 days.

Jealous.:aargh4: :stups:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts