Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the law on an individual outside of California shipping a magazine with a capacity higher than 10 to another individual in California?

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
As far as I understand, if you are in Ca, it is unlawful to posses a mag with capacity of more than 10 rounds.

From handgunlaw.us

Large Capacity Magazines
With limited exceptions, California law prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing into the state,
keeping for sale, offering or exposing for sale, giving, or lending any large capacity magazine. Cal. Penal
Code § 12020(a)(2), (b). A "large capacity magazine" is defined as any ammunition feeding device with the
capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but does not include any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding
device, any feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten
rounds, or any tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm. Section 12020(c)(25). California
does not ban the possession of large capacity magazines

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I love california also. Oh my god the outdoors were amazing but I moved. I no longer live there.

Im starting to look at moving up to Missoula Montana in the next 2 years.

On topic: I believe you can own high cap but cannot sell them or buy them. Kinda pre-ban. You certainly cannot have them when and if you are lucky enough to CC. They do not want for you to be able to outshoot the cops. Thats the liberal mentality behind the law anyways.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You can have any capacity magazine IF you owned it prior to the 10 round limit. You can rebuild them with PARTS you purchase for that purpose.

You cannot "manufacture" or "import" or "sell" or "lend" any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. Unless you are LEO with written OK from your boss.

BTW, You can carry them even if you have a CCW. I know. I do. Daily.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Good question. Coming from there myself I suggest really getting a clear definition for what you are seeking, like state laws. Even then I would be careful just because it's on the books it don't mean everyone is on the same page, if you know what I mean? I know this is not much help, but best of luck.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You'll be in a big bag of trouble, and CA isn't the place to have a firearms charge IMO.
Yeah. Come on vacation, leave on probation is a pretty common saying around here. In case anyone misunderstood my other post: Leave your high cap mags at HOME. Buying a 10 round mag follower and spring kit is a ton simpler than anything else I can imagine.

Well, other than just carrying a revolver that is.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It seems that you are asking if it is legal for you to ship them to someone in CA. IIRC, it is technically legal to ship parts of magazines to someone. (e.g., a floorplate, follower, spring and housing are legal, a fully-assembled hi-cap--not so much)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts