Defensive Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be traveling through Alabama and wanted to ask you folks over there (I am coming from Texas) is there anything I need to be aware of when traveling through you state armed (I have a LTC and it is valid in Alabama as well through reciprocity)?

How do most businesses post there signs for no concealed carry there and I know an app says they have force of law, but what exactly happens if you accidentally carry past one (is it a felony, a ticket, etc....). Just asking, I always follow the law but just in case the sign is out of place and I miss it I wanted to understand the repercussions of doing so. I know here in Texas (until this year) it used to be a felony if you carried pass a sign, but thankfully they changed it recently and our signs are hard to miss because they are usually quite big.

Does Alabama require their businesses to have large signs or do the super tiny gunbuster signs I see over hear sometime (3 inches or less in diameter sometimes) hold the force of law as well?

Thanks for any help you all can offer. Also, just to be clear, I am asking people who live there and I already have some apps, I don't need the law posted or anything, just your opinions on what you see there and how you handle staying legal while carrying.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
A few important tips:

No Notre Dame logos
No UT (Texas, not Tennessee) logos
Avoid displaying Texas A&M materials.
If Lane Kiffin goes to Houston, definitely do not display any Houston materials.

Personally, I have not seen a lot of "No Guns" around most of Alabama.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have family in Alabama and I have been there multiple times carrying with my Texas CHL (now LTC). And it is not an issue The same general rules apply as they do in Texas as far as schools, government buildings, etc. Texas is one of the very few states with a consistent signage policy and that is a shame. I wish all states had clear policy and specified signage. Have fun and War Eagle! ( I went to Auburn)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I live in Alabama. North Alabama to be exact. You won't encounter many "No Guns Allowed" signs in Alabama but, the few that you might encounter hold no legal water as long as you remain concealed. If you were to be found out they can only make you leave at which point you must do as they ask or they can have you arrested for trespassing with a firearm.

Alabama honors the Castle Doctrine law added to our gun laws a few years ago. That law also extends to your personal vehicle so you are good to go carrying your firearm on your person open or concealed, or locked away in a glove box or center console. Magazine may be in the gun or out.

If you are travelling mostly by interstate then the Federal Laws allow you to carry a weapon in your vehicle under the interstate safe travel act (or similar wording).

If you come through Huntsville or Madison along interstate 65 or I-565 for some reason while passing through, make sure to stop at Larry's Pistol and Pawn and Chuckwagon BBQ (Texas BBQ to die for). Chuckwagon owner promotes carrying weapons in his business.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't take this guys advice! Stay away from Auburn! :image035:
I knew I'd elicit a response from someone! Now that I've not lived in Alabama for 40 years, I actually have friends that attended, or are fans of, that remedial school located in Tuscaloosa which shall remain nameless! ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I remember the Auburn campaign championing the adage "Auburn - Where tradition began." It was printed on everything Auburn that year.

A group of Alabama students responded by coming out with the best shirts I had seen. On the back of the shirt, all 11 (at that time) of Alabama's National Championships were listed by date. At the bottom of the shirt they printed.

"Now that's Tradition!"

BTW - ROLL TIDE!

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Be advised Alabama is home to God, guns, and football! There are four seasons in LA (Lower Alabama) deer hunting, football, Mardi Gras, and tourist. Enjoy your trip!

Reactions: high pockets
1 - 9 of 9 Posts