Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing either a Kahr PM9 or a CW45. Lately, however, I have been hearing some bad stuff about Kahr's specifically as it relates to reliability issues. Are these just isolated examples? I realize that people only post things online when they have problems with a product, but I really don't want to purchase a firearm just to have to send it back to the factory 2 or 3 times. Any input from you Kahr shooters would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm interested too Chiboxer as i've already got one tucked aside on layaway. I think the positive reviews far outweigh the negative ones and think it will be a fine weapon. I always clean, lightly debur, and lube up my new guns before i shoot them anyway, i dont quite trust manufacturing inspections entirely. Hope some people chime in with Kahr's.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I love my PM9. I have confidence in it.

I shoot it each trip to the range. Several times I have fired 100 rounds of WWB a session, blasting it with some RemOil after about 50.

I did experience barrel peening within the first 200 rds. The pistol went back to Kahr and they made the repairs. That said, I have had no problems since.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I have one of the original PM9's shipped. It has been flawless. About 12 or so of our officers have also bought PM9's since shooting mine. None have had an problem that wasn't knuckle head induced. The worst problem when a "gun guy" on our department decided to take his apart. The problem came when he went to put it back together. :rolleyes:

I think Kahr gets it's bad rap from either;

A) inexperienced shooters.

B) people who don't like to follow instructions.

C) people who have an axe to grind with the Moons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a PM9 and love it, carry it pretty much everyday. Its got prob about 750 rounds through it and its been flawless. It will also eat anything I put through it. Wolf, speer, WWB, blazer, it all works

·
Registered
110 Posts
My PM9 was purchased about four years ago and is my EDC. It has had about 1200 rounds, both FMJ and hollow points through it. Make sure you don't limp wrist it and it should be fine. I like mine.
Keech

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Thanks for the info. I too have been considering one, but have been leery because of “bad” reviews.

I have a Glock 26 but I want a lighter weight, thin, small 9mm, for times when my G26 is too big.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I have an MK40 and the range where I work rents a T9 and an MK9. The wood grip on the T9 broke when somebody dropped it, but otherwise I can't remember a problem with the rentals and mine has been 100%. I admit that I quit carrying the 40 as much as I used to after I broke my strong hand. It kicked too much to be comfortable when I was healing and it's kind of out of my CCW rotation now that I'm healed since I'm out of practice with it. No fault of the gun or it's reliability, though.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've got a CW40, pretty much the exact same as the CW45 but a different caliber. I've had zero issues with the gun that weren't my fault. When I first got it, I took it down to clean it. Putting it back together, I bent the slide stop pin accidentally without knowing it. When I took it out to shoot, I had a rough time because the slide would stay open after each shot. I figured out the mistake and contacted Kahr because I thought I ruined the spring. The old spring worked and about 3 days after my call, I had a new one in the mail!

I would never hesitate to buy another Kahr personally.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I've owned six Kahrs. Not all were problem free.

2 K9s were flawless in performance. One early model and now a new 2009 model.:congrats:

A T9 that I've never given me a problem .:danceban:

A early CW9 that had a light strike problem that I couldn't fix. :hand1: I suspect a short striker.

A P45 that had some feed and eject problems, otherwise I loved it. :spankme:

A new TP9 that has been perfect and very enjoyable.:hand10:

IMHO the Kahr line is suseptable to problems because some of the functions have little performance leeway. A faulty or slightly out of spec component has negative effects that maybe some other more conventionally made guns can absorb.

A Kahr that works is a very valuable tool in the CCW toolbag. IMO it's worth the effort and price to find one.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My PM9 has been great and is my EDC. I usually drop it in my pocket in a FIST K5 and load it up with Federal HST 147g +P. Very potent, comfy setup IMO. :hand10:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've only had my CW9 a month and only put 100 rounds through it but so far all of them went bang without a problem.

I did have an issue with the slide not wanting to release when trying to chamber a round at first but after the first 50 rounds it's flawless.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 4 Kahrs, K9, CW9, CW45, amd a PM40. All are reliable, and great.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Like Sixto, I own some, and the others on my security team own some. None of us have ever had an issue that wasn't related to technique.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had a Kahr pm 40. The manufacture said,” It had to have a break in period”, but never got it to work right. They would not back the gun even though it was purchased new; I had to pay to have them fix it and shipping. I received it back and about every 20 rounds it would jam. I sold it. I’ve only sold two guns in my life, a sigma 40 and a Kahr 40 both no good.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I bought a CW9 two years ago. In the first year I had to send it in to Kahr three or four times for service. the first time was when part of the metal slide rail broke off at the front. The second time was when part of the trigger group (a spring?) broke. The third time was when the trigger linkage needed adjustment to get the gun to fire. The last (fourth?) time was when, after about 2,500 live rounds and about 3,000 dry fire clicks the striker broke and a crack appeared in a joint in one of the magazines. Kahr fixed all these problems under warranty.

At present, the gun's shot about 3,000 live rounds and experienced about 9,000 dry fire clicks over it's lifetime, the action is very smooth, it's reliable, I trust it, and I'm very happy with it.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts