Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting some pepper spray to carry when I go to school since firearms are prohibited, and I think it would be nice to carry it all the time for those moments when drawing a gun wouldn't do. If you do spray someone, do you have to call the cops and tell them?

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
You have two choices.

1. You can call 911, and be the victim of an attack who used pepper spray for self defense, or
2. You can let the other guy make the call, and be considered the assailant.

I know which one I'd prefer....

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that point, but I am speaking legality wise. But I guess it would be a good thing to do anyway.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
You just committed an assault and or battery,You need to explain why you felt the need to use the pepper spray so that the offense is negated by right to self defense

·
Registered
368 Posts
So that begs the question does one consult a lawyer before talking to the police?
No.

Call the police ASAP. In this type of incident, they tend to believe the first person to contact them.

If the perp decides to cover his butt by calling the police and claiming that YOU attacked him with pepper spray and tried to rob him, it will look a heckuva lot better for you if you've already called the cops and given them the straight scoop.

If you don't contact them at all, it will make you look guilty.

Worry about talking to a lawyer later, if it even comes to that.

·
Super Moderator
50,582 Posts
I'm not sure I would open up the 911 call with, "I'd like to report that I pepper sprayed someone."

That being said, I would call 911 immedaitely.:smileys21:
I'd probably call 911 with, "I'd like to report an attempted (assault, robbery, etc.)" The use of pepper spray would come out as the story of the 16-25 year old (choose description here) wearing a black hoodie and black pants, etc...attacked a 62 year old man (no hair) and his 61 year old wife (white hair)...finish the story on your own...:image035:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm not sure I would open up the 911 call with, "I'd like to report that I pepper sprayed someone."
I don't believe anyone in this thread was suggesting that you word it that abruptly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I understand that point, but I am speaking legality wise. But I guess it would be a good thing to do anyway.
The answer remains the same no matter how you ask it or rephrase the question.

You have two choices.

1. You can call 911, and be the victim of an attack who used pepper spray for self defense, or

·
Super Moderator
50,582 Posts
I don't believe anyone in this thread was suggesting that you word it that abruptly.
I wasn't suggesting anyone did, but thanks for the clarification...:wave:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Whenever you use any force against someone because you were in fear for you life you should be the first one to report it to the police when it is safe to do so.

Too many people assume it was a real BG that they were in a confrontation with and that they will not call the police. The truth is that there are more a-holes than bad guys and they will call the police.

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Being that it is usually a felony to use OC Spray offensively while it is not any problem to use it defensively...you should report the incident because you sure don't want the scumbag that you just OCed to call police and say that he was just walking down the street "minding his own business" when you ran up to him and attacked him with OC spray. Then you have to fight possible felony charges...your word against his & he called the cops to report the incident and you didn't.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
This seems like a common sense question. If you are involved in an incident that requires the use of OC spray, of course you call the police. Something has gone terribly wrong.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You have two choices.

I could not agree more. You have to be the first one to tell the story. If you had a reason to use the pepper spray you had a reason to call the police, but deploy spray first, get away to safety they call 911.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You have two choices.

Nailed that Q with a 9"'r! Excellent advice.

Make the call and don't "Lawyer Up". Will put an LEO on red alert.

Honesty IS always the best policy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts