Defensive Carry banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I am taking the family on a tent camping trip to Colorado, where there is a risk of black bears and mountain lions. For protection against both four and two legged aggressors, would I have a ballistic advantage with a 357Sig or a .45? I’m accurate and comfortable with both. Thank you for your replies.
I hope you already have reservations where you expect to camp, the campgrounds and rec areas are full up here.

I didn't see anyone mention the moose. The bears and mountain lions are a bit of a problem at times but moose are the ones to really look out for. Moose don't fear humans and will suddenly go from ignore mode to full-on charge without warning and are not given to being shoo'd away. If you encounter a moose, give it a wide berth.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not sure when you’re traveling but you definitely need reservations for RMNP and they are pretty booked for the near future. Also talked with some visitirs from Iowa while hiking near Estes Park and they ran into park rangers at some trailheads with new restrictions. Hope your trip is good, its going to be really hot this coming week so go up higher for the cooler temps!

·
Registered
563 Posts
By all means carry a firearm. OC is legal here without a permit, but CC requires one.

However, for bears, you're better off with bear mace than a firearm, and if you see bears or mountain lion at a distance, a couple opf sharp, short bursts Fox 40 whistle blown with your hands cupped in their direction has always sent them packing.

I used to run an Outdoor Adventure group along the Front Range and into the back country. Hiked many a mile and camped many nights. Rarely saw bear, mountain lion, or wolves in the wild.

In fact, I've seen more bear, mountain lion and wolves walking through my neighborhood than I ever saw in the wild

21 - 23 of 23 Posts