Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am simply curious if a gun classified as AOW (any other weapon) can be carried concealed with a normal concealed carry permit? I don't know much about the rules concerning these types of guns. I am specificaly refering to one of the very short shotguns that require the $5 tax stamp such as the one pictured below. There is one for sale locally by a dealer and I think they are really neat but don't want to even consider one if I have to leave it locked up in a safe at home and just look at it occasionaly. Not that I would carry it "on me" but would be neat to keep behind my truck seat etc.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I think federal laws would come in to play here. Is a barrel less than 18" legal under federal law?

·
Registered
701 Posts
It varies by state. For example in SC the length between the bottom of the grip of the ccw to the end of the barrel has to be less than a certain length. It is more than likely that way to prevent people from carrying a gun like what you show.

As far as the fed gov is concerned they could care less so long as you pay the $200 tax and have the stamp. If you were to carry such a gun then you would have to carry the tax stamp paperwork along with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
632 Posts
my wrist hurts just looking at that thing.

looking through WA laws, i could not find anything that would prevent you from keep said weapon in your vehicle provided it is legal in the eyes of the feds.
as far as carrying it on your person conceled, i couldnt find anything prohibiting it.

a question to the rest of you, if you put a rifled barrel on it, does that make it a pump action pistol? than that might fall in the catagory of it being a pistol and fall under normal CPL restrictions?

·
Registered
329 Posts
In wisconsin you couldn't carry it concealed under a Concealed Weapons License unless it was classified as a pistol. That would be a nice thing to have in a Pizza box on the passenger seat to thwart a car jacking though...

·
Super Moderator
18,247 Posts
Arkansas CHL specifies a barrel length of less than 12" and designed to be fired with one hand. It could be argued that a shotgun requires two hands to operate it.

The only other prohibition that is addressed is that no full auto handguns are allowed to be carried.

With that being said, if you wanted to carry it in your truck you could. Just keep that stamp handy in case someone questions it.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I had a Super Shorty and when purchased there was a $5 tax stamp and a long wait, not a $200 tax stamp. The felt recoil was as could be expected but not, IMO, and any worse than the 18.5"persuader with pistol grips on both ends. Does it have a purpose? Hey, it is a gun and I wanted one. The gun now resides under the counter at a local gas station/convenience store.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
I don't know what would make the difference between that firearm as a "AOW" versus a "Short-barreled shotgun," but it clearly meets the definition of a SBS and is illegal according to FL statutes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
While having a great bling factor, Tennessee law specifies handguns. It's a "Handgun Carry Permit."
Cherokee Slim

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Whoa Mama!!!

That's a weapon that kind of jogs my memory.

Anybody here remember Nick Adams as Johnny Yuma or the character James Caan played in Rio Bravo? I think that was the movie.

Double barreled, but the same basic concept.

·
Registered
908 Posts
something I've wondered about as well, not with a shotgun though, something like this. Cutting tool Tool

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
but it clearly meets the definition of a SBS and is illegal according to FL statutes.
It would if it had a buttstock,but since it has a pistol grip it's classified as am AOW (Any other Weapon) under Federal Law.Most Concealed carry permits designate handgun,the Judge revolvers get by because they are rifled barrels and not smoothbore

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I bought a rig like his....and the hat, also!
I really liked that shotgun (John Wayne decided it was best because Caan couldn't shoot worth a damn), but sorry brother... that hat was U-G-L-Y! :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Yep, but then, so am I!
Have had MANY compliments on the hat....wife hates it.
I have a fox tail that I can Velcro into it as my mood suits.
Why?
Because when I tell folks that I live in Amissville, they always say.......wait for it.......
"Where the foxhat?"
Tataboom(drum roll)
];-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts