Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all-
I will be traveling I-95 FL to VA via Georgia, So. Carolina, No. Carolina. Each state honors FL CWP (a state or two restrict weapons- firearms are OK)- I'm concerned with handguns only. Can the firearm be holstered on my person while traveling through these states or must it be "securely encased" or "encased securely"? And if it can be holstered on my person does the holster have to have a snap? Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Good morning all-
I will be traveling I-95 FL to VA via Georgia, So. Carolina, No. Carolina. Each state honors FL CWP (a state or two restrict weapons- firearms are OK)- I'm concerned with handguns only. Can the firearm be holstered on my person while traveling through these states or must it be "securely encased" or "encased securely"? And if it can be holstered on my person does the holster have to have a snap? Thanks for your input.
Check out:

Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I'm pretty sure in SC you can't have it in a open holster even in the car. You can have it on you but must be concealed.

But as DaveH posted, check it out on the site he provided to be sure.

Safe travels!

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Yes, I beleave you must notify police (IF STOPPED) in N&S Carolina not sure about Viginia. H/D

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Here is a good site to put in your FAVORITES. Has a wealth of info.

Handgunlaw.us

Drive safe. Bout got took out 3 times on I-95 last month on the bike from NC to Clearwater and back! Next trips will be in the FX4 F-150!
Never will hop on that madhouse again on the HD.

Hate to say it and no offence but 2 of the OFFENDERS (A-H****) had NY plates and had to be doing 95 MPH+. The other perp was from Pa, but that road is dangerous!:mad:

I'd personally be more worried being taken out by a motorist than a BG.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
In SC

Can be on person but has to be concealed. No snap needed.

Can be in Glove box, Console, rear most compartment in a container that has an intregal fastener or in the trunk. Does not have to be locked. Can be loaded

Must identify that you are Concealed Carrying IF CONCEALED carrying and officially stopped and asked for identification or detained.

Not illegal for gun to become exposed when entering glove box, console etc to retrieve information (not a darn bad idea to warn officer of its presence and wait for instructions before doing so though I don't think)

Legal to tranfer to and keep in hotel room with or without CWP.

Legal to carry in automobile with or without CWP as described earlier (Console, Glove box, etc).

Legal to have in car as described in State rest areas. Legal to conceal carry also, with permit.

State parks also legal to have as described and legal to Conceal Carry with permit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great link by DaveH - I'd never seen that before.

Re: snap on holster. Are there any states that actually require that? I had never heard of that before and did some quick searching but couldn't find anything related. That seems strict.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: snap on holster. Are there any states that actually require that?
It's not a snap-on holster, it's a holster with a thumb break retention device. I believe GA used to require that, and they may still. Anyone live in GA who can update us on that?

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Make sure you do more research than just this site as it lists Maryland as an OPEN CARRY state.
The devil is in the details.

Maryland is not a traditional open carry state, as we think of it. However, should you be wealthy or connected enough to get one of the rare Maryland carry permits, Maryland law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry.

Drill down far enough and it's there.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Maryland is not a traditional open carry state, as we think of it. However, should you be wealthy or connected enough to get one of the rare Maryland carry permits, Maryland law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry.

And remember MD does not honor anyone's permit.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Requiring a concealed carry permit to legally open carry doesn't an open carry state make. The issue here is if someone reads that site and DOESN'T do further research they are being set up for failure. I'm not saying the site isn't a great resource but I am VERY uncomfortable with any site that lists MD as open carry without a huge disclaimer. I hate to see a fellow gun owner get slammed because of a misleading website. I'm sure that they aren't intentionally trying to mislead anyone but common sense says MD is NOT open carry for anyone passing through which is what the site leads you to believe.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I'm not trying to defend the site.

ALL sites and books summarizing law are suspect. IMHO.

One of the big problems is the definitions are not common across States.

Here in Virginia, Open Carry means that anyone who can possess a gun can carry it in plain sight anywhere except some limited enumerated sites -- no permit, license, registration, etc required.

In other States, .... [well see MD, NY, NJ, etc].

Nearly all of these type web sites encourage travelers to check the current State laws and they tend to provide links for you to do that. IMHO, you should do that before travel. I do.

My point is that you should always dbl check, before traveling to another State.

FWIIW -- the site does say:

This State DOES NOT [all caps in red] Honor Your CCW Permit.
followed by:

Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license [emphasis added]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts