Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
It depends on the state the LPR (lawful permanent resident) resides in. A green card holder is the same as an LPR.

Here's a link that answers your question:

http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

In general, non-immigrant aliens are forbidden to possess any firearms or ammunition. But there is a big exception for a legal alien who:

...is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States

(See Title 18, USC Chapter 44, Section 922, part (y)(2) for details.)

Green-card holders and immigrant aliens who do not yet have their green card are both okay under federal law, although many people (including gun dealers, law enforcement officers, etc.) are not aware of the distinction or the hunting license exception, and erroneously think that either you have a green card, or you can't have guns.

Also, non-citizen cannot purchase a firearm from a federally licensed firerams dealer unless they have been a resident of their state for 90 days. So, no, tourists on short visits cannot walk into guns stores to get "protection" during their trip. Sorry. (I've been asked that multiple times.)
Scroll down and you'll see the individual state laws

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
I am a Canadian resident with concealed carry permits.

As such with my ATF Form 6NIA and hunting license I can temporarily import firearms and ammunition specified on the permit into the US. Said firearms and unused ammunition must be exported when I leave the US.

I can legally carry concealed in 35 states but I cannot legally purchase a firearm or ammunition. My wife is dual US/Canadian. If she's with me, she can purchase ammunition in the US.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Yes, they can. There is even a spot on the 4473 for this purpose.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can legally carry concealed in 35 states but I cannot legally purchase a firearm or ammunition. My wife is dual US/Canadian. If she's with me, she can purchase ammunition in the US.
• If in possession of an ATF Form 6NIA or stateside hunting license, you can purchase ammunition, but you CANNOT leave the states with the purchased ammunition, unless you have an export permit.
• Ammunition won as a prize, given to you, etc., CANNOT leave the states, unless you have an export permit.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sad part is that under Canadian law I can import 5,000rds from the US, but under US law I can't buy it.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Sad part is that under Canadian law I can import 5,000rds from the US, but under US law I can't buy it.
But could I buy it, and you import it?

And just thinking out loud here, how would anyone know you are not a US citizen? I just walk into the shop, plunk down the cash and walk out with a case or two. Nobody asks if I'm a citizen.

·
Registered
80 Posts
But could I buy it, and you import it?

And just thinking out loud here, how would anyone know you are not a US citizen? I just walk into the shop, plunk down the cash and walk out with a case or two. Nobody asks if I'm a citizen.
I am in no way shape or form advising you to break the law. I would advise you to obey the laws of the land in fact. But in theory and hypothetically speaking SIXTO has a very good point. I have never been asked if I was a legal U.S. citizen while buying ammo no matter how much or how little I was buying. In theory I would imagine that if you ever wanted to buy that much you would have no problem what so ever actually.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Yes federal law allows resident alien's (green card holders) to legally purchase handguns. However, in Missouri, you can not obtain a ccw permit unless you are a U.S. Citizen.

I know that wasn't asked, but thought I'd throw it out there. Regarding ccw, each individual State would regulate that matter.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It may depend on the state, but there's court precedents saying legal resident aliens cannot be precluded from buying firearms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts