Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if I can carry a concealed gun while in my home? Just wondering if someone could use it against me should someone break in, get popped, and claim I had it concealed.

Also, what about going to take the trash out / going to mailbox. Since I'm on my property, is this allowed?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
If you're a felon or otherwise legally forbidden to be in possession of a firearm then, no, it would not be legal. If you can legally possess a firearm, then it's fine.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
In Texas if your legal to own a firearm. You can carry in your vehicle (CONCEALED ONLY) without any licensing. They consider your vehicle as extension of your home.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Its state to state ....I think in MI as long as you can own a gun you can have it on you in your home . Some states allow you to carry to your property line others allow it in your car etc ...Check the laws ..Its state not fed

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
Depends on your state's laws. In my old state of CT, without a pistol permit I could not legally carry a handgun outside of my house, e.g., in my front yard. However, I never heard of anyone running afoul of that law. Inside your home, if you are legally entitled to possess a handgun, I know of no law that stipulates or restricts how you carry it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ditto to what gasmitty said. It's your property and you have the right to carry a gun. If you were forced to use it, the most the police might ask for is just a pistol permit (but not a permit to carry). However, if you walked to your mailbox with a Desert Eagle strapped to your hip, and your neighbor called the police, you may run into trouble, but it's unlikely.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
So far you can still do anything almost anything you want inside your home. You can even make microwave popcorn & macaroni and cheese from a box still. :rofl:
Awww, give it time though..............

·
Banned
145 Posts
It depends on your local laws. In Florida you can carry a gun anyway you want on your property without a concealed carry permit. You can even carry a gun in your car as long it is not visible or on your body. Some cities/States require that a home defense gun be locked up with no ammo in it and in some place, the ammo has to be located away from the gun. You need to check your local gun laws but most places you can carry concealed at home. Best to check with local LEO. In NJ for instance, you have to get a permit to buy any handgun so you will need to have that too in NJ and a few other States. You really need to call the local LEO and even then, they may not be 100% correct or forget to tell you something. In most States there are books with the local gun laws. I bought such a book when I moved to Florida and it helped a lot. Sometimes you can do something but only under certain circumstances. Sometimes you can do something legally but still become a hassle. If I opened carried my gun around my property, I am sure that someone would call the police. The anti gun crowd even calls the police when they see a gun printed even though there is no law about printing as long as the gun is concealed. It ends up with the cops telling you to get on the floor and not move your hands. Then they explain that there is no way to tell if you were legally carrying or not.

I moved from NJ to FL and in NJ there were so many crazy laws. I could only transport my gun to and from a shooting range or gunstore/gunsmith. I could not stop for any reason, even to get gas or pick up a friend to shoot with me. The ammo had to be stored and locked in a separate container than your gun. A loaded magazine, even if not even close to the gun and locked in a box, made your gun a loaded gun and you would be arrested for carrying a loaded gun without a license. They enforce their guns laws regardless if they make sense or not. You could come from out of State, find out later that you cannot carry your gun, then go to the police station to turn it over to them and they will arrest you.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
In your home it has been deemed continually protected by the United States supreme court for you to own a firearm for protection. Outside on your property is another story, but in most states I know of there is no law of carrying a firearm while on your own property. Check your state and local laws about being outside on your property, but in your home it's completely legal.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It depends on your local laws. In Florida you can carry a gun anyway you want on your property without a concealed carry permit. You can even carry a gun in your car as long it is not visible or on your body. Some cities/States require that a home defense gun be locked up with no ammo in it and in some place, the ammo has to be located away from the gun. You need to check your local gun laws but most places you can carry concealed at home. Best to check with local LEO. In NJ for instance, you have to get a permit to buy any handgun so you will need to have that too in NJ and a few other States. You really need to call the local LEO and even then, they may not be 100% correct or forget to tell you something. In most States there are books with the local gun laws. I bought such a book when I moved to Florida and it helped a lot. Sometimes you can do something but only under certain circumstances. Sometimes you can do something legally but still become a hassle. If I opened carried my gun around my property, I am sure that someone would call the police. The anti gun crowd even calls the police when they see a gun printed even though there is no law about printing as long as the gun is concealed. It ends up with the cops telling you to get on the floor and not move your hands. Then they explain that there is no way to tell if you were legally carrying or not.

I moved from NJ to FL and in NJ there were so many crazy laws. I could only transport my gun to and from a shooting range or gunstore/gunsmith. I could not stop for any reason, even to get gas or pick up a friend to shoot with me. The ammo had to be stored and locked in a separate container than your gun. A loaded magazine, even if not even close to the gun and locked in a box, made your gun a loaded gun and you would be arrested for carrying a loaded gun without a license. They enforce their guns laws regardless if they make sense or not. You could come from out of State, find out later that you cannot carry your gun, then go to the police station to turn it over to them and they will arrest you.
What states have a law that you can't have a loaded gun in your home for self-defense? I'm not sure that's even remotely constitutional or even enforceable.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Even in states where carrying on your own property is allowed, walking out to your mailbox or putting out the trash might be problematic. In many places, your property doesn't extend all the way to the street, but rather ends anywhere from 4 to 10 feet from it. You may be legally responsible for maintaining that strip of land, but you don't own it and it's usually where your mailbox is located and where you put your trash for collection.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Depends on your state's laws. In my old state of CT, without a pistol permit I could not legally carry a handgun outside of my house, e.g., in my front yard. However, I never heard of anyone running afoul of that law. Inside your home, if you are legally entitled to possess a handgun, I know of no law that stipulates or restricts how you carry it.
You might want to verify this. I would bet you'd be okay within your curtilage.

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
You might want to verify this. I would bet you'd be okay within your curtilage.
Verified as correct by a local State's Attorney when I still lived there. The conversation started with a question from me regarding carrying a handgun in a "school zone," as my property abutted a private secondary school. Without a valid town or state pistol permit, I was potentially at risk for violating applicable laws.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
In CA one can CC or OC on private property in areas with no public access.
Inside the home, in fenced & (closed) gated yard.
In CA there has to be a barrier between you and the public.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
In my county when someone gets the dear john letter (permit denial) they are told they can carry in their home or business. A consolation prize, winner winner chicken dinner!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts