Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm not sure where to post this but I'm pretty sure it is in here, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not yet 21 so I can't get a CC license, but I want to keep a firearm in my car as often as possible. But I need some advice from you guys and gals first.

From my selection of guns, these are the two that I am considering keeping in my car. A .22 Magnum single action revolver, and a 12ga. pump shotgun with a 24 in. barrel.

Now for the shotgun I can get a 18" barrel and a pistol grip no problem, but how would I keep it in the car but readily available? Propped up between the center console and passenger seat as long as it's not concealed? Laying accross the back seat?

And for the handgun, it's not the best option for defense but it's better than a Mag Lite. If need be I can spend a couple hundred bucks on a new gun but being under 21 can I possess it? I believe I can as long as I have parent consent and it is not concealed what so ever.

BTW I live in NC, from what I can tell from my research, if you are over 18 you can legally possess a handgun.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks! :wink:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
You definitely need to consult your State AG office. On that make record of time and date of who you talk to.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can read all the NC gun laws at the NCDOJ website. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can read all the NC gun laws at the NCDOJ website. Hope that helps.
I just read the gun laws and it clearly says..."It is unlawful for anyone under 18 to possess or carry a handgun." So I can keep one in my car as long as it is not concealed. Would you suggest the 12ga, the .22 mag or purchasing a new pistol? Also I could rig a holster to attach to the outside of the center console for the pistol, but how would I secure the shotgun?

·
Registered
46 Posts
well...not sure about NC...but having a loaded gun in some states in your car is illegal...you can have it in the trunk.....but not loaded or maybe for transport to a range.....some states have no laws whatsoever for carrying in the car...other than maybe unloaded or or in clear sight...but why would you want to keep a handgun in your car..you have to leave the car sometime to go to school or store or work..thus leaving it easy for someone to steal the weapon.....

I just find it hard to understand a 20 something wanting to carry a weapon in NC......just my take but if I were seriously concidering a weapon to carry...it wouldn't be a 22mag....I'd look at something with some more punch than a 22...but that's just my opinion.....save your money...get some proper training....know your local laws....and then apply for a ccw....your young..you have time....
again..just my opinion and I'd be telling my own kids this if I had any...

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well...not sure about NC...but having a loaded gun in some states in your car is illegal...you can have it in the trunk.....but not loaded or maybe for transport to a range.....some states have no laws whatsoever for carrying in the car...other than maybe unloaded or or in clear sight...but why would you want to keep a handgun in your car..you have to leave the car sometime to go to school or store or work..thus leaving it easy for someone to steal the weapon.....

I just find it hard to understand a 20 something wanting to carry a weapon in NC......just my take but if I were seriously concidering a weapon to carry...it wouldn't be a 22mag....I'd look at something with some more punch than a 22...but that's just my opinion.....save your money...get some proper training....know your local laws....and then apply for a ccw....your young..you have time....
again..just my opinion and I'd be telling my own kids this if I had any...

Steve
Well when not in the car I would put my gun it it's case and lock it in the trunk, that way it's out of sight to criminals.

And the reason I want to have a gun in my car is this..I know a guy that is 17 and when he pulled up to the local Wal-Mart at 6 PM (still light outside) a man jumped in to his Jeep. He was pulling into a parking space when all the sudden he had a man in his vehicle holding his hand on his right hip saying he had a gun.
He was forced to drive the man to the other side of town, once there the man got out and told him not to go aywhere. He floored it and got to a safe area and called the police.
Basically he was kindnapped and robbed for $11. :hand1:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Any gun left unattended in a vehicle will be stolen within minutes. Police have special gun mounts for their shotgun that are bolted into teh vehicle and prevent the gun from being loaded or functioning while in the clamp.

Federal law allows a person, not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, to buy a long gun at 18 or a handgun at 21. Once you have a gun, state law sets age requirements. ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

There are many laws, state, city and sometimes even county that control and restrict possession and use of arms.

A simple pamphlet by the NRA summarizes state laws, but city ordinances often reqire you search the city web site for their local laws.
NRA-ILA ::

A gun carried loose in a car and loaded is an accident waiting to happen and a possible legal issue. A variety of car safes are available, that can be bolted into a place in a car [console] and keep a gun somewhat secure from theft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any gun left unattended in a vehicle will be stolen within minutes. Police have special gun mounts for their shotgun that are bolted into teh vehicle and prevent the gun from being loaded or functioning while in the clamp.

Federal law allows a person, not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, to buy a long gun at 18 or a handgun at 21. Once you have a gun, state law sets age requirements. ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

There are many laws, state, city and sometimes even county that control and restrict possession and use of arms.

A simple pamphlet by the NRA summarizes state laws, but city ordinances often reqire you search the city web site for their local laws.
NRA-ILA ::

A gun carried loose in a car and loaded is an accident waiting to happen and a possible legal issue. A variety of car safes are available, that can be bolted into a place in a car [console] and keep a gun somewhat secure from theft.

I would like to get one of those shotgun clamps if I choose to keep it in my car. But btw I would not leave my car and have a gun in open view, I would put it in it's case and into the trunk.

Also, I like the idea of the car safe, thought would work out really well.

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
From my selection of guns, these are the two that I am considering keeping in my car. A .22 Magnum single action revolver, and a 12ga. pump shotgun with a 24 in. barrel.
You're looking at two polar opposites in the realm of defensive weapons.

First: why a single-action revolver, regardless of the caliber? I know there are SA quick-draw experts out there, but at age 18 I doubt you're one of them. Why not a double-action revolver, and why not a respected defensive caliber, such as .38? Not being critical, I just don't understand your narrow range of choice.

Next: 12-ga shotgun. Absolutley a wonderful defensive weapon, but... not for use IN a car. Come across a situation needing heaving firepower, great... but keeping even a pistol-gripped shotgun in the car, ready to go, presents serious tactical problems if not legal ones as well.

First things first: get squared away on your legal questions, re legality of carrying defensive arms in your vehicle and/or on your person, particularly with respect to your young age. The answers may drive the rest of your questions.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am a Firearms Instructor in NC. You will be fine with your shotgun unloaded in your locked trunk. While you are LEGAL in open carry with your handgun, if you get pulled over many Officers are going to go to High Alert when they see an 18 year old with a pistol on the seat. Your weapon could be seized for investigative purposes, now you've got some numb-nut half panicked beside you trying to clear your weapon. I'd feel safer with a carjacker. Sorry, this is reality, leave the pistol home till you can legally CCH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're looking at two polar opposites in the realm of defensive weapons.

First: why a single-action revolver, regardless of the caliber? I know there are SA quick-draw experts out there, but at age 18 I doubt you're one of them. Why not a double-action revolver, and why not a respected defensive caliber, such as .38? Not being critical, I just don't understand your narrow range of choice.

Next: 12-ga shotgun. Absolutley a wonderful defensive weapon, but... not for use IN a car. Come across a situation needing heaving firepower, great... but keeping even a pistol-gripped shotgun in the car, ready to go, presents serious tactical problems if not legal ones as well.

First things first: get squared away on your legal questions, re legality of carrying defensive arms in your vehicle and/or on your person, particularly with respect to your young age. The answers may drive the rest of your questions.
The reason I chose those two gun is because that's what I have at the moment that I think would work best. I'm fine with purchasing a new gun for this reason if need be.

·
Registered
46 Posts
here in michigan, if you have a gun in your car, it has to be unloaded in a case
unless you have your ccw

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

Second off, do A LOT of research into the law before you start tying open carry or have one in your vehicle. You may already be an expert, but it can get complicated fast.

For example, there is a federal law so it is illegal to posses a firearm in a public place within 1000 feet of a school. Persons with concealed carry licenses have an exemption in certain circumstances (but remember you will not have a ccw license). So if you park your car within 1000 feet of a school, you just committed a felony.

see this great info:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...te-can-mess-up-your-life-if-you-have-gun.html

I don't want to discourage you, I just want you to stay out of prison. Spend some time studying and take a class or two with a local instructor. It is well worth it.

21 will come pretty soon ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well when not in the car I would put my gun it it's case and lock it in the trunk, that way it's out of sight to criminals.

And the reason I want to have a gun in my car is this..I know a guy that is 17 and when he pulled up to the local Wal-Mart at 6 PM (still light outside) a man jumped in to his Jeep. He was pulling into a parking space when all the sudden he had a man in his vehicle holding his hand on his right hip saying he had a gun.
He was forced to drive the man to the other side of town, once there the man got out and told him not to go aywhere. He floored it and got to a safe area and called the police.
Basically he was kindnapped and robbed for $11. :hand1:
How would a unloaded gun locked in the trunk help you out of a situation like that??:confused:

And all the things you are talking about involves a lot of gun handling. Your just asking for trouble. I wouldn't worry about it untill you get a CCW.

And I can't really find any specific law about carrying a loaded shotgun on the front seat in your state but I guarantee If you ever get pulled over It won't be pretty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my suggestion would be leave your guns at home for now. save up and buy a true SD pistol whether its a auto loader or a wheel that is up to you practice and when you turn 21 get your permit and rock on. but for the time being first off leave them at home unless you want to donate them them to the local thugs because if they know that you have guns in your trunk they will be in there before you can get much past the front doors (also keep in mind that most negligent discharges accrue from unnecessary fire arm handling), go ahead and get a nice big mag light to keep in your car and or a knife or two if you don't think a knife will do the job search for "but he only had a knife" the pics in the thread will change you mind about that. also keep your head on a swivel and pay attention to your surroundings I would put big money on the guy you know was off in his own little world not paying boo sh t to what was going on around him the most important weapon you will ever own is your own brain. stay aware of your surroundings and be safe and when your old enough get leagle and and join the club

·
Registered
41,577 Posts
Carrying a shotgun ala LEO style is a bit drastic for everyday use. If you can legally have a loaded handgun in your car, I'd opt for the .22 Mag.

One point I'd like to make for the .22 Mag (before all the naysayers jump in; my Tenn cousins hunt bears with a .22 Mag. Usually one shot in the ear does the trick. If that's all you have to protect yourself, then fire away with the .22 Mag if you need to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts