Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Either one mag of one and another of the other? Or mixed in the same mag?

Have a rifle cambered for both.

Sorry for the dumb question.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yes

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Sure you can not sure why but it will feed just fine.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Chambered for both? It must be 5.56x45 NATO or .223 Wylde. If you have a standard .223 chamber do not fire 5.56x45 from it. This would result in excessive and dangerous chamber pressure.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
So long as your rifle is chambered 5.56, yes. I wouldnt expect pinpoint accuracy though. I'm no ballistics expert, but I would imagine all else being equal, the .223 and 5.56 may have slightly different points of impact at distance. I could be wrong though. I'm sure smarter folks will chime in.... :eureka:

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
Case dimensions are the same, the difference is in the longer throat of the 5.56 chamber. 5.56 typically use longer (& heavier) projectiles loaded to higher pressures. I've used reloaded 5.56 cases exclusively in my .223. If your rifle is stamped .223/5.56, it's a 5.56.

Reactions: Taurahe and Snub44

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Case dimensions are the same, the difference is in the longer throat of the 5.56 chamber. 5.56 typically use longer (& heavier) projectiles loaded to higher pressures. I've used reloaded 5.56 cases exclusively in my .223. If your rifle is stamped .223/5.56, it's a 5.56.
THIS^^^^^^^^ Learn it, love it, memorise it. This is very important to any and all new AR 15 owners.

Reactions: AR15VSCoyote

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Think of it this way: a .223 is a citizen round, 5.56 a military round. A little different as far as ballistics are concerned, but should not be a problem as long as your weapon is spec'd for 5.56.

I guess my question would be : Why would you mix them?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Will mixing .223 and 5.56 cause a malfunction? no.
Would I recommend doing it? Also no. Mixing even different types of .223 will cause problems for you in regard to accuracy, since each round has a specific trajectory, based on it's design. It'd be like trying to bowl, and using a different weight ball for every frame. You'll have no consistency.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think of it this way: a .223 is a citizen round, 5.56 a military round. A little different as far as ballistics are concerned, but should not be a problem as long as your weapon is spec'd for 5.56.

I guess my question would be : Why would you mix them?
Because I have a pile of both on hand...223 brass and 5.56 brass, and just a few mags from magpul that are marked for both designations. The rifle is stamped 556/223 on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Just don't leave them mixed and loaded for too long. strange things may happen when they are left alone in the dark for long.
Yeah... Like the FN 5.7

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
Because I have a pile of both on hand...223 brass and 5.56 brass, and just a few mags from magpul that are marked for both designations. The rifle is stamped 556/223 on the barrel.
The mag should make no difference. Either is okay in your barrrel. no/gun or mag stops to think about what round is next as it shoves one in the chamber. Nothing has to be reset for something different.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The mag should make no difference. Either is okay in your barrrel. no/gun or mag stops to think about what round is next as it shoves one in the chamber. Nothing has to be reset for something different.

Just wanted to make sure before I blow myself up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts