Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother now in his later 60's, is an ex USAF Military Police [6 years].. He then went on to become a USPS Inspector.. He carried a gun for 4 decades.. Does it make ANY sense that he can no longer carry, even though his part time job has him handling hundreds of thousands of dollars every day?

My brother in law was a Police officer for 6 years or so, and was a one time instructor for Smith and Wesson.. He also cannot carry now that he's retired.. I told them both they should REALLY look into but both live in NJ, and said it simply was not going to happen in that state.. Is it really that bad in NJ.. Thats worse than here in NY.. Any info would be appreciated... bob

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm answering with the link below, not because I'm just throwing it out there to make you find your answer, but because if you go and read the Notes section of the summary table, it will give you a pretty good idea of the way firearms are viewed in NJ, or at least how they're viewed by the NJ government and LE. NJ is a "may issue" state, not a "shall issue" state. Shall issue states give permits to anyone who can legally carry. May issue states give permits to people they want to, which is generally nobody at all unless they make a really, really good case for it. NJ also severely limits your ability to purchase firearms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Jersey

·
Premium Member
8,338 Posts
My brother now in his later 60's, is an ex USAF Military Police [6 years].. He then went on to become a USPS Inspector.. He carried a gun for 4 decades.. Does it make ANY sense that he can no longer carry, even though his part time job has him handling hundreds of thousands of dollars every day?

My brother in law was a Police officer for 6 years or so, and was a one time instructor for Smith and Wesson.. He also cannot carry now that he's retired.. I told them both they should REALLY look into but both live in NJ, and said it simply was not going to happen in that state.. Is it really that bad in NJ.. Thats worse than here in NY.. Any info would be appreciated... bob
No, and it also makes no sense that NJ's "may issue" carry status precludes most citizens from carrying.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

-Does your brother qualify for LEOSA as a retired LEO? If so that would trump NJ laws. Can't help with the brother-in-law.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the Wiki article..
"As of the end of 2013, there were 1,212 active Handgun Carry Permits in New Jersey, out of a population of nearly 9 million residents".

I guess that answers my question.. Two men that were Military/LEO firearm carriers for years- one a S&W trainer, the other a federal govt Postal Inspector... Neither can carry in an often dangerous state to live in .. Both of them live in metro areas, and are getting older and less able to protect themselves.. As bad as NY is, in my little 2 mule county alone, there are probably 1,000 CCW permits.. NJ should be ashamed. bob

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
That is one reason - out of many - that people from the north move farther south. Lower cost of living is another. Once you are retired do you need to say in an unfriendly, expensive state? Only they can answer that.

Reactions: SIGP250

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Quote.."As of the end of 2013, there were 1,212 active Handgun Carry Permits in New Jersey, out of a population of nearly 9 million residents"....and 99.9% are most politically connected or work security and have work permits only.

To answer your question.......NJ is worse than "that bad" ......a NJ State Superior Court Judge said awhile ago, Your 2A rights are not guaranteed her in NJ......that about sums it up.

Folks make their money here and retire south..............

Funny....one fella who posts a lot on various forums and professes to be a firearms expert here in Jersey has had a CCL for years...every time I'm on and I know it's him I ask...."How come you have a CCL here in Jersey and I, a Cert. NRA Firearms Instructor in Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, this my 26th year and I cannot get one.....he never responds and usually signs off the thread and conversation.....it's pretty obvious......Corruption looms it's ugly head here on a daily basis...IMO.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
They don't like that here....The Patriot Act....have a friend, LEO from MD. and he mentioned to me , NJ really doesn't appreciate out of state officers bringing guns to NJ.....and that was not too long ago either.

·
Registered
432 Posts
They have never questioned me or gave me any problems. I am surprised with Chris Christy as Governor. Wasn't long ago he was saying how pro 2nd A he is. Anyway they can't decline to participate in LEOSA. I think all states should be constitutional carry anyway, but until then your brother should be GTG. Tell him to look up the procedure to get his Carry Card. I am not retired yet, so doesn't really apply to me now, but in 3 more years!

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
....as a side note, a friend LEO who just retired here in Jersey tells me he filled out the proper paperwork and was required to re-qualify all over again...also that he, just like all NJ residents cannot carry HP ammo, as he did on the job....re-qualifying may be an obstacle for some who haven't practiced weak hand in a while.

·
Registered
432 Posts
....as a side note, a friend LEO who just retired here in Jersey tells me he filled out the proper paperwork and was required to re-qualify all over again...also that he, just like all NJ residents cannot carry HP ammo, as he did on the job....re-qualifying may be an obstacle for some who haven't practiced weak hand in a while.
I think he can still carry HP and carry standard capacity mags. NY is almost as bad as NJ, worse in some aspects, but even here with 10 round capacity, retired LEO gets exemption for firearm purchased while on active duty. I know LEOSA mentions following the state laws from where you live, but some of the most restrictive states have backed off with retired LEOs since they don't seem to have any answers with how LEOSA fits into their dumb laws.There is a lot of gray with regards to LEOSA and State law on the states side and I am not an expert on it. I won't be staying in NY or anywhere near NYC, NJ, MA, or CT. I will retire in a free state.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Just saying.............he specifically made mention of No HP ammo as he had just retired from a local township PD here after 25 years.

·
Registered
588 Posts
NJ is about as bad as it gets in regard to carry. Unfortunately I have to go there every so often since my in-laws live there. Between the gun laws and my extremely annoying mother-in-law, those trips are right up there with root canals and prostate exams.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good info here.. I did some research, and my older brother is actually every bit as eligible to carry in all 50 as a retired FBI officer, State Trooper , DEC officer , ATF officer etc...
I don't think he realized it, probably thinking NJ law would supercede federal law. In all probability, NJ probably LIKES it that way.. I will let him know.. Thanks to all for the very good information... bob

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
'cause my kids are here and my wife won't leave'em...........I'm good to go, don't come here, there's nothin' here for ya....IMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts