Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day I first became a father changed many things for me. I was 25 and all of a sudden had a tiny little treasure to protect in the midst of this crazy world. Going from an individual to a married couple did not seem to have the same impact as being the designated protector of my daughter. From that moment my eyes opened to possible threats.

Fast forward to today - 14 years later I am much more practiced in the art of situational awareness. I pay attention to my surroundings, take deliberate steps to ensure the safety of my home and the growing family that abides within, and choose wisely when I go where. However, I don't think there is a boogie man behind every bush.

I wonder sometimes if I am naive as I don't have the same commitment to threat assessment of every single person I encounter throughout my day as some others. Obviously I carry my edc daily and I understand that anyone can be a threat and orient my actions accordingly, but I am wondering what other people think about situational awareness, if it can be taken too far, or it's never taken far enough, etc. :33:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I would have a hard time thinking that I am too prepared for any emergency that could come along. Things constantly change and if we want to be prepared for any kind of emergency then we need to constantly prepare too. I think of it as kind of an evolution process. When I get to thinking that I am taking self protection too seriously I think about how easily I could be attacked by somebodies pitbull or some crazy doper. Can we be totally prepared for anything? I don't think so but I see myself as being a harder target now than I would have been a few years ago.

·
Registered
712 Posts
In my opinion yes. There is a difference between situationally awareness and outright paranoia. Personally I refuse to live my life in constant fear, fear of every stranger, fear of every dark corner, fear of the imaginary boogie man hiding under the bed. When I train, practice, prepar for what typically might happen, a robbery, home Invasion/burglary by 1or 2 bgs, an armed confrontation at between arms length and 15 yards. I don't train for some obscure scenario, such as a horde of zombies attacking in the middle of the night. I carry my edc and adequate ammunition for any probable situation. I don't carry 4spare 17 round mags and 2 New York reloads. In spite of my refusal to be in constant fear. Or my I consider myself very situationally aware. I park in well light areas. When at an ATM, my head is on a swivel. I pay attention to approaching strangers etc. if there is some place that might require me to carry additional ammo, or an additional weapon I don't go to that location. One more thing I trust my gut. If it doesn't feel or look right, it's probably not right and I avoid that situation. These practices have served me quite well in my 60years. I'm not going to change them now

·
Registered
519 Posts
Today, I am on the lookout for the lone man or women walking up to me or others stabbing, I sit in restaurants away from the center fire area and in observation of entrance goings on, and I carry unless the law doesn't allow. I do carry a spare magazine and I have pepper spray on my key chain. Most of what I do to be vigilant is now habit. It is done almost as easily as remembering to brush my teeth.

On the flip side, situational awareness also caused me to smell more roses along the way, to see not only the potential bad but also the obviously good... like young and old lovers smiling, kids playing, people going about their daily affairs. It has had the unintended but very real and positive impact of opening my eyes to everything, not only the negative.

I used to live in my own bubble without any surrounding awareness. I missed so much of the world that way.

Life is a series of days strung together with a beginning and an ending. Living with one's eyes wide open will make it a far more enjoyable, and potentially safer, journey.

So in answer to the question "can sa be taken to far", I don't think so. At least by the definition of SA I hold.

Just my opinion and 2 cents.

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
I'd say yes, there's a point where "situational awareness" becomes crippling paranoia.
Unfortunately, sometimes the line between the two can become very blurry.

I think it can be taken too far. I read a story somewhere a while back, it may even be posted here, about a guy in a restaurant. Basically, the guy was seated by the hostess, and focused so hard on what everyone was doing, what they were wearing, etc, that by the time he thought he had everything figured out, he hadnt even noticed how many people had come and gone since he sat down.

·
Premium Member
36,725 Posts
Are we talking about situational awareness, or hyper-vigilance? I ask only because while sometimes associated with one another, they are two distinctly different concepts. One is the processing and acting on the circumstances present in one's ever-changing environment, while the other is the constant sensitivity and/or overreaction to factors which may or may not actually be present in that environment.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Very few professional (open water) lifeguards die of...hypertension. Semper Vigilans ("Always Vigilant") :yup:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the flip side, situational awareness also caused me to smell more roses along the way, to see not only the potential bad but also the obviously good... like young and old lovers smiling, kids playing, people going about their daily affairs. It has had the unintended but very real and positive impact of opening my eyes to everything, not only the negative.
I like this perspective. It is important to be aware of the good as well as the potential harm.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are we talking about situational awareness, or hyper-vigilance? I ask only because while sometimes associated with one another, they are two distinctly different concepts. One is the processing and acting on the circumstances present in one's ever-changing environment, while the other is the constant sensitivity and/or overreaction to factors which may or may not actually be present in that environment.
I agree. I think people can be confused between these two. I want to be aware/prepared but not living in a state of fear. If we are always on the look out for harm do we miss out on the joy of life?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
but I am wondering what other people think about situational awareness, if it can be taken too far, or it's never taken far enough, etc. :33:
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing until S&W came out with a complete line of SS revolvers you can wear in the shower.........so my answer is no. :embarassed:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
The day I first became a father changed many things for me. I was 25 and all of a sudden had a tiny little treasure to protect in the midst of this crazy world. Going from an individual to a married couple did not seem to have the same impact as being the designated protector of my daughter. From that moment my eyes opened to possible threats.

Fast forward to today - 14 years later I am much more practiced in the art of situational awareness. I pay attention to my surroundings, take deliberate steps to ensure the safety of my home and the growing family that abides within, and choose wisely when I go where. However, I don't think there is a boogie man behind every bush.

I wonder sometimes if I am naive as I don't have the same commitment to threat assessment of every single person I encounter throughout my day as some others. Obviously I carry my edc daily and I understand that anyone can be a threat and orient my actions accordingly, but I am wondering what other people think about situational awareness, if it can be taken too far, or it's never taken far enough, etc. :33:
Sounds to me like you're just a good dad. Always have a plan to kill whomever you meet, especially her boyfriends :biggrin2: Seriously though, you can't have too much situational awareness unless you're so busy looking for trouble coming that it manages to sneak up behind you.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds to me like you're just a good dad. Always have a plan to kill whomever you meet, especially her boyfriends :biggrin2: Seriously though, you can't have too much situational awareness unless you're so busy looking for trouble coming that it manages to sneak up behind you.
I want to keep my family safe without being consumed by a dedication to awareness. I have seen the flip side...people so dedicated to staying alive that they are missing out on life.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I want to keep my family safe without being consumed by a dedication to awareness. I have seen the flip side...people so dedicated to staying alive that they are missing out on life.
It's all about balance, juggling the environs you move through throughout the day and understanding risks that may be associated with venue/patrons/time of day etc.

After 28 years of needing eyes in the back of my head, and now retired, I've gained the sense of when I need to pay more attention and when I can pay less attention to details and what people are doing around me.

Learn to play the KIM game and develop an eye for detail quickly.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Can it be taken too far ?? Yes I think it can... I think most people likely carry it too far.

It doesn't take special training to simply pay attention to what is happening around you. Most human beings have a decent innate ability to subconsciously seek out danger indicators. That said, I believe you do need training to avoid information overload (aka) information induced paralysis . Risk and danger assessments are about knowing what to look for, what to exclude and understanding what impact different conditions will have on your safety. Its about detecting the ripples in the water and understanding what is causing it, how it likely will effect you and how best to respond. Untrained people generally construct far too much drama into their situational awareness efforts. They generally make it a huge production which is filled with inconsequential information developed from mentally exhaustive effort.

I have participated in a few SA workshops only to be reminded of how little skill I actually have. I have learned a lot that I think is helpful but I will always be have a students interest in continued learning. For those who know what a ping pong paddle in the coffee shop means... that's the scenario I failed 3 times. I never saw that attacker the first 2 times and although I suspected the correct attacker in the 3rd, I waited too long to react ( second guessing myself) and failed again.

What I do know is if you are working alone.. total situational awareness is rarely ever achieved. You work toward it but it really requires more information than you can likely gather alone. The best I can typically hope for is a bubble of awareness within my overall situation. To those who are interested in SA, ..please get some training. It will help you hone your skill 100 fold in a very short period of time. Until then, just pay attention.

ps- and for the love of all things holy, please stop memorizing what everyone in the room is wearing or what the people behind you ordered for dinner. STOP IT ;)

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Practicing Good SA is a good thing. Having your head on a swivel and paying attention to your surroundings is a life skill, not just a defensive skill. Can it be taken to far? of course it can. However, just look around at todays youth, they have none. They trip over there own feet. Keep it balanced and all should be fine....

If you are trying to prepare for one that has your name on it, stop, the one that has your name, has your name. :wink:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Practicing Good SA is a good thing. Having your head on a swivel and paying attention to your surroundings is a life skill, not just a defensive skill. Can it be taken to far? of course it can. However, just look around at todays youth, they have none. They trip over there own feet. Keep it balanced and all should be fine....

If you are trying to prepare for one that has your name on it, stop, the one that has your name, has your name. :wink:
That's because the youth and the adults of today can't see 10 inches in front of their face due to it being blocked by their phones.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Can it be taken too far ?? Yes I think it can... I think most people likely carry it too far.
and for the love of all things holy, please stop memorizing what everyone in the room is wearing or what the people behind you ordered for dinner. STOP IT ;)
Why?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts