Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
"A Canadian man fighting for his life begged his assailant to let him go, but his pleas went unheeded – which is probably because black bears don't understand English."

LOL! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
"Separately, a 62-year-old Minnesota woman, Catherine Sweatt-Mueller, was killed by a black bear on Sept. 1 while on Red Pine Island in the Canadian waters of Rainy Lake.

Experts say the attack was extremely rare and the bear was being sent for a necropsy to determine a reason for the animal's abnormal behavior."

"Garshelis said that, on average, a fatal attack by a black bear happens about once a year in all of North America."

Rare behavior? Maybe. Abnormal? Hardly.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Separately, a 62-year-old Minnesota woman, Catherine Sweatt-Mueller, was killed by a black bear on Sept. 1 while on Red Pine Island in the Canadian waters of Rainy Lake.

Experts say the attack was extremely rare and the bear was being sent for a necropsy to determine a reason for the animal's abnormal behavior."

"Garshelis said that, on average, a fatal attack by a black bear happens about once a year in all of North America."

Rare behavior? Maybe. Abnormal? Hardly.
Black Bear Lives Matter

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
It said he ran in the water, maybe he should have climbed a tree instead!!!

Bwaaa ha ha haaaa, what a dweeb!

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Man to angry bear, "Do you speak English?"

Bear to idjit, "BEAR-LY"

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Really? Did anyone else see the pics of his injuries? Black bear my azz, this guy got attacked by a squirrel, and from the looks of his injuries, a really small one
Joe Kenda My My My 2.jpg

He must'a been the one tangled with one of Mrs OldChap's sentries the other night!

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Having used it twice in thirty years of hiking in PA black bear country, I can attest that a cloud of bear spray works better than trying to take to the bear. Perhaps the fellow needed an interprter to do English to black bear language. My back up to bear spray was a old invention: a gun that communicates clearly when fired.

Reactions: rotorhead1026

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
This douche is lucky it wasn’t a grizzly - there are a few (especially along the coast) in BC, I’m told.

Black bear are relatively docile in grizzly country; I don’t know what set this one off. They’re a little more aggressive when they’re the top predator, but still not terribly dangerous if you’re alert and careful with your food. The victim here doesn’t strike me as either.

If a bear thinks you have food, and he’s stoking up to hibernate, he can get really nasty.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Couldn't get the video to work but how did the local man distract the bear, a bag of doritos, a picnic basket, what?

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
This douche is lucky it wasn’t a grizzly - there are a few (especially along the coast) in BC, I’m told.

Black bear are relatively docile in grizzly country; I don’t know what set this one off. They’re a little more aggressive when they’re the top predator, but still not terribly dangerous if you’re alert and careful with your food. The victim here doesn’t strike me as either.

If a bear thinks you have food, and he’s stoking up to hibernate, he can get really nasty.
If you are being harassed by a black bear then it has already smelled your food, or it's a mama with cubs.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Always hike with someone who is slower than yourself, that will be between you and the bear at all times.

You don’t have to be the fastest in the group, just never be the slowest.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Always hike with someone who is slower than yourself, that will be between you and the bear at all times.

You don’t have to be the fastest in the group, just never be the slowest.
That's what the little .22 NAA is for - slow down one of the group with a quick round to the kneecap

(Really - just in case I **AM** joking)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts